Khorn tractrix upgrades and crossovers advice

KT66

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Clarity Caps ESA are good but rather mellow the Mundorf bypass improves presence nicely without compromising the qualities of the Clarity. I got this tip from Tony Gee he was right - I might review the ratio next time I mod the net for the new 2" driver. I do the same on the tweeter section.

In the Heresy II I use Mundorf Supremes alone I find them much smoother than the old Jensen PIOs as I mentioned before. What I haven't done is try the 1837

on them I might at some point. Now if you have the wherewithal go for the MR series Clarity Cap.

see: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/claritycap_mr.html

I've known about the MR series for some time. Something I might try for personal use but like so many other things, simply too expensive for my consumer builds. The great majority prefer inexpensive acceptable sound to more expensive superlative sound. Of course, they've never heard superlative, so acceptable is their only frame of reference, and so acceptable is superlative. :) I sometimes think that listening has become a lost art. I recently stated that I had bought an amplifier, and how much better it sounded than my Denon receiver. I was told that there are only two kinds of amps -- good amps and bad amps, and that good amps all sound the same. Passive components are treated much the same way on most forums I frequent. A measureable difference does not mean an audible gain, and any audible gain that cannot be measured is imagination. The subjective experience is largely a thing of the past I'm afraid. Anything that makes sound not resembling fingers going down a chalkboard is "good"!

Murky waters ... most HiFi pedlars take the stance that best serves their cash flow others are plain deaf and shouldn't be in the business.

What in the world is supurlative ? ;)

I've known about the MR series for some time. Something I might try for personal use but like so many other things, simply too expensive for my consumer builds. The great majority prefer inexpensive acceptable sound to more expensive surpulative sound. Of course, they've never heard surpulative, so acceptable is their only frame of reference, so acceptable is surpulative. :) I sometimes think that listening has become a lost art. I recently stated that I had bought an amplifier, and how much better it sounded than my Denon receiver. I was told that there are only two kinds of amps -- good amps and bad amps, and that good amps all sound the same. Passive components are treated much the same way on most forums I frequent. A measureable difference does not mean an audible gain, and any audible gain that cannot be measured is imagination. The subjective experience is largely a thing of the past I'm afraid. Anything that makes sound not resembling fingers going down a chalkboard is "good"!

It's a nice word, I just made it up -- do you like it? :)

My labor is a standard rate, the only thing that determines whether something costs more than something else is the kind of parts I use. So, my cash flow would be best served by building with Solens or Dayton Audio.

I've known about the MR series for some time. Something I might try for personal use but like so many other things, simply too expensive for my consumer builds. The great majority prefer inexpensive acceptable sound to more expensive surpulative sound. Of course, they've never heard surpulative, so acceptable is their only frame of reference, so acceptable is surpulative. :) I sometimes think that listening has become a lost art. I recently stated that I had bought an amplifier, and how much better it sounded than my Denon receiver. I was told that there are only two kinds of amps -- good amps and bad amps, and that good amps all sound the same. Passive components are treated much the same way on most forums I frequent. A measureable difference does not mean an audible gain, and any audible gain that cannot be measured is imagination. The subjective experience is largely a thing of the past I'm afraid. Anything that makes sound not resembling fingers going down a chalkboard is "good"!

you said it ,Bro [Y] ,

I really dislike when they bring audio memory as a talking point , saying I can't remember what a good sound sounds like minutes later .

It's a nice word, I just made it up -- do you like it? :)

No you didn't... you just didn't spell it correctly.

I think you meant:

su·per·la·tive (soobreve.gif-pûrprime.giflschwa.gif-tibreve.gifv)

adj.
1. Of the highest order, quality, or degree; surpassing or superior to all others.
2. Excessive or exaggerated.
3. Grammar Of, relating to, or being the extreme degree of comparison of an adjective or adverb, as in best or brightest.
n.
1. Something of the highest possible excellence.
2. The highest degree; the acme.
3. Grammar
a. The superlative degree.
b. An adjective or adverb expressing the superlative degree, as in brightest, the superlative of the adjective bright, or most brightly, the superlative of the adverb brightly.