Why did I ever buy a Sub?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dunno. Having your own sub at first seems quite exciting. They seem so willing to please and lend an air of insouciance, and almost daring to a party, or almost any social occasion. But with time, they become increasingly annoying, and are almost constantly underfoot. At some point you forget the safe word, an accident occurs, and before you know it law enforcement is involved. So I've forgone a sub, although sometimes, usually the last few day of Mardi Gras, I do feel a longing for one.

I used some large steel flat washers, I just happened to find some the right size and they were 1.25 ounces each. I set them together and in place with just a small amount of five minute epoxy. Easy to remove if you decide that you want to later. Post if you give it a try. Best regards Moray James.

I dunno. Having your own sub at first seems quite exciting. They seem so willing to please and lend an air of insouciance, and almost daring to a party, or almost any social occasion. But with time, they become increasingly annoying, and are almost constantly underfoot. At some point you forget the safe word, an accident occurs, and before you know it law enforcement is involved. So I've forgone a sub, although sometimes, usually the last few day of Mardi Gras, I do feel a longing for one.

HAHA

Now, how am I to get my Margarita out of this keyboard?

I used some large steel flat washers, I just happened to find some the right size and they were 1.25 ounces each. I set them together and in place with just a small amount of five minute epoxy. Easy to remove if you decide that you want to later. Post if you give it a try. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks Moray.

John

so then set your cross over as low as it will go?

Not necessarily, a lot depends on your mains.

The specs on my Velodyne were down to 22HZ (Plus or Minus) 3db. The lowest crossover point or roll off point on the sub is 40HZ. So essentially the sub was not producing any more depth than my forte II. If memory serves me correctly the forte II will dig to 20HZ (Plus or Minus) 3db.

I think that the factory minus 3db point for the Forte ll is 32 Hz. My best guess with the added dead weight (in the Forte ll) is about 28 Hz or so. I would not aim for much less as you run the risk of the woofer becoming unloaded which you do not want. While it does not sound like much of a difference I can assure you that it is most impressive. I no longe have the desire or need ot two fine subs any longer not even with the Heresy3. Give it some thought. Best regards Moray James.

I've only read about Forte II here, but am surprised it has essentially the same bass response as a Klipschorn. Main point of this thread comes down to only a few recordings of a few things...piano, pipe organ, big sound movies.

These cannot be handled in "high fidelity" by any Klipsch full range speaker. PWK would agree...and did.

If you repertoire doesn' require those things, and with music over 95% of it doesn't, then you don't need a sub.

In my case, I need a sub.

Dave

Many guys out there, myself included...don't neccesarily use subs to dig deeper. We use them because we enjoy the benefit of the added "energy" in the bass response. Stronger, fuller, more powerful etc. Same rules apply of course....if it's not integrated properly it will suffer.

In my opinion, Klipsch can have a very "live" sound and a properly integrated sub(s) is an extension of that if done right.

Many guys out there, myself included...don't neccesarily use subs to dig deeper. We use them because we enjoy the benefit of the added "energy" in the bass response. Stronger, fuller, more powerful etc. Same rules apply of course....if it's not integrated properly it will suffer

That statement is a key point, the sub/s in the system add to the bass enenrgy and room response. Properly integrated, the sub should not call attention to itself. The correct sub will add system synergy.

Many guys out there, myself included...don't neccesarily use subs to dig deeper. We use them because we enjoy the benefit of the added "energy" in the bass response. Stronger, fuller, more powerful etc.

[Y]

I figure since I have a "club" amp might as well have a pair of "club" subs. I'll be back later I'm headed to the "club".[:D]

Many guys out there, myself included...don't neccesarily use subs to dig deeper. We use them because we enjoy the benefit of the added "energy" in the bass response. Stronger, fuller, more powerful etc.

Yes

I figure since I have a "club" amp might as well have a pair of "club" subs. I'll be back later I'm headed to the "club".Big Smile

Those who don't use them do not because we don't need them.

Those who don't use them do not because we don't need them.

The word of the day, "need". Obviously one persons "needs" are different than anothers.

In all seriousness though, my Chorus II's are capable of giving great listening enjoyment without any aid.

It is those times when I really want to raise the roof I am able to do so without making my Chorus carry the burden.

Let the "club" subs feel the strain. It also doesn't neccessarily take high volumes to feel the music either. It just adds another level of enjoyment to my music experience.

I guess my only quibble is with "added" energy. While I think I know what you mean, I am not interested in "adding" anything...but I insist on hearing all that is there, no more, no less.

And, I'll repeat: for those of us who like certain types of music, no Klipsch speaker can reproduce the full range to provide it. If it could, we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't have the room, we wouldn't have wives, and it wouldn't conform to the SixCard.

Therefore, the subwoofer...optional for some, not so much for others. PWK was a genious who understood the limitations of physics, economics, and wives.

Dave