K-1072-A (KSW-15?) woofer specs

DrWilken

I have been offered a K-1072-A woofer driver (brand new) and was thinking about building a subwoofer using the unit.

I will be building the sub in oak and it will be powered by a 300W BASH amp (O-Audio).

The driver looks exactly like the one used in the KSW-15 (K-1072-K). I found a picture here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KSW-15-Home-Theater-15-Subwoofer-Black-/220784684970?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers

Would it be possible to get the specifications for the driver or will I have to build it exactly like the original enclosure?

If it's not possible to get the specs for the unit, can anyone please give me the details of their KSW-15 (dimensions of enclosure + port).

Hey DrWilken, welcome to the forum! You can get much, much better drivers for the money. If you have any woodworking experience you can build your own enclosure pretty easily. To get a ported subwoofer with deep extension and lots of output, it needs to be big. Sealed subwoofers can be smaller and still be able to provide quite a bit of output with a good amplifier. Let me know if you have questions or want help designing something!

Hi Fizzle... ;-)

Thanks for the reply... And warm welcome... :-)

I can get the driver for 500 DKR (~90$). I'm not sure I can get better drivers for that amount of money... ;-)

Anyway, I'd like to try with this driver as a project (I'll probably build a lot more afterwards - I believe that's how it normally goes when You're a noob in sub building)... :-)

I have an existing ported enclosure about 120L. The first thing I will do is replace the 6.5cm port (way too small even for the Monacor SP-380P PA unit which is currently used) with a conical 9/11 cm port (7.8cm long). When the Klipsch woofer arrives I will just replace the Monacor with it, but sooner or later I will be building a new enclosure in oak because I can get the wood for free... ;-) I was thinking I would just build it the same size as the KSW-15, but if You're saying that bigger is better I certainly don't mind building the new enclosure even bigger... :-)

120l is a pretty good sized box. You're going to want to tune as low as possible if you're going to be using the sub for movies. I'm sure that woofer has pretty limited excursion so you'd probably be able to use a fairly small port without lots of chuffing. I would think the KSW-15 was tuned at 30hz or slightly below, but you should be able to achieve 20hz tuning. What country do you live in?

120l is a pretty good sized box. You're going to want to tune as low as possible if you're going to be using the sub for movies. I'm sure that woofer has pretty limited excursion so you'd probably be able to use a fairly small port without lots of chuffing. I would think the KSW-15 was tuned at 30hz or slightly below, but you should be able to achieve 20hz tuning. What country do you live in?

I'm going to be using the sub both for movies and for music... :-) And I know it's not an easy task, but it's fun... :-)

Still using the Monacor driver, I replaced the 6.5cm port with the 11cm (full length 19.5cm) conical yesterday and the bass is much more "hidden" now (less boomy). Just really low and tight (great for music)... ;-)

The box should be tuned to about 33 Hz now. I've checked using WinISD (though with a port diameter of 10.2 - 11cm isn't available), and 33-34Hz seems to be the best frequency (flatter curve), but I get - 3dB @ 41Hz... Isn't that way to early for a driver with a Fs of 23Hz...?

Vent Mach should be around 0,10 with the big port compared to 0,24 with the original one which is probably why it sounds much more clean now...?

When building the new sub (with the Klipsch driver) I was planning to build it with the same dimensions as the KSW-15 using the conical 11cm port, and if it doesn't sound the way I want it to sound I'll try to decrease the length of the port... If it gets to short it's not very expensive to replace... ;-)

Would You recommend me to build a larger enclosure for the Klipsch than the KSW-15 (using either the 6.5 cm adjustable port or the conical 11 cm port)...?

I would absolutely lower the tuning by extending the port as much as possible be sure to leave a 3" space at minimum before the rear wall. The f3 of 41hz is really quite bad, that box size should be big enough for you to be able to lower the tuning significantly. It might have decent extension with that sharp rolloff if you corner load it, but damage to the driver will be a very real possibility with the tuning that high. Most music won't go below 30hz, but many movies have material well below that. Below tuning, the driver essentially functions as if it were not in any enclosure, it won't take much power at all to damage the woofer by being asked to go beyond it's mechanical limits. A single 4" port at 17" would net you 20hz tuning, and if you could fit an elbow, a 22" port would net you 18hz tuning.

To Summarize: Lower the tuning as much as you realistically can. A 4" port is about the minimum you'd want to use to avoid port noise, so make it as long as you can while leaving a few inches between the back wall.

I ended up with a ~260 L enclosure (driver AND 4.3" port firing down) tuned to 20Hz... :-)

I goes reaaaally low... And it doesn't sound boomy at all... ;-)

Looking forward to trying the enclosure with the Klipsch driver. If it doesn't sound well I might end up with a driver that can "fill" the enclosure a bit better... ;-)

The enclosure is built using MDF (19mm) with 2 "window frame" braces between the sides of it... They are not placed symmetrically... :-)

I haven't put any damping in the enclosure but I think I might put egg-crate foam on the top panel (opposite of the driver)... :-)

Sounds good man, you should be a lot happier with that low tuning. I'm not sure what the original KSW-15 enclosure was tuned to, but it might have a pretty sharp HPF limiting your low end if you're using the same plate amp. DIY is always the way to go with subwoofers, here's mine with the 19hz tuning.

post-22346-13819830833814_thumb.jpg

Sounds good man, you should be a lot happier with that low tuning. I'm not sure what the original KSW-15 enclosure was tuned to, but it might have a pretty sharp HPF limiting your low end if you're using the same plate amp. DIY is always the way to go with subwoofers, here's mine with the 19hz tuning.

I already am... Big time... ;-) I've been listening to various music (ranging from classical over soft pop to hard rock and dub step), and it's *almost* there... ;-)

I'll receive the K-1072-A woofer on wednesday and try it out... If it sounds better I'll go with that and if not I'll look for something else (like the Monacor SP-380TC)... :-)

Installed/mounted the Klipsch driver today, and my first impressions are that it's much cleaner/dynamic sounding... :-)

Also I'm not sure if it's just because it's new or if it's just a much stronger spider/coil, but it felt much tighter (pressing the cone inwards before mounting)... :-)

Does anyone know if these drivers use neodymium magnet...? The reason for asking is the magnet didn't look very large, but it sounds tight anyway... :-)