RW 12D issue (with pics)

underworld

Hello! My name is Martin and I live in Argentina. I purchased a Klipsch RW12D three years ago. It costs me USD1500. Last midnight, I was watching a movie with my girlfriend and I tried to turn the sub`s gain volume down. I was surprised when I looked at the OSD in the top panel cause it was literally DEAD. Before checking the power cord I tried to dismantle the power amp and i saw this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see in the first and second image, two capacitors near the big one blew up. These capacitors are the only thing blowed. No other component were affected. The PCB on the back side is in perfect conditions. There is no burned sectors at all.

By the way, I tell you that my sub is almost used at extremely low levels due to live in a small apartment. The sub was plugged to a power conditioner and I unplug all my electronic devices when the weather goes bad (electric storms).

I don´t use the sub extensively, only a couple of hours per week. I really don't understand what was wrong.

I would like to known If you could tell me which are the possible causes of this problem or the way to solve it please! I´ll appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Welcome to the forum!

OUCH! That sub-board is fried. Did you say you paid $1,500 in US Dollars? Isn't that the sub Newegg was selling for $299? As you have so much invested, perhaps support will give you some special help. Here are the full contact details.

Klipsch Technical and Warranty Support

Toll Free: 1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)

Mon - Fri, 8AM - 5PM ET

E-mail: support@klipsch.com

Considering that Klipsch does not reply any email or private message I sent them.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what model are the two ceramic capacitors flown near the big one.

I`ll buy the capacitors and replace them, but i have to know the specifications of each component.

Thanks!!!

Considering that Klipsch does not reply any email or private message I sent them.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what model are the two ceramic capacitors flown near the big one.

I`ll buy the capacitors and replace them, but i have to know the specifications of each component.

Thanks!!!

Replacing the sub-board seems like the best thing to do. It looks like that got pretty hot, so there could be more wrong than a blown resistor. I still can't get over the fact that you have $1500 in that.

Replacing the sub-board seems like the best thing to do. It looks like that got pretty hot, so there could be more wrong than a blown resistor. I still can't get over the fact that you have $1500 in that.

Mustang, In my country imports (replacement parts, electronics things, food, whatever) were stopped since last year. There's no replacement parts for anything. I have an iMac 27" waiting a display replacement since July 2012. I have no chances to buy a new amplifier for my RW12D because there is no parts in stock. This is the situation in this shit$%·$&& country.

Thanks a lot Mustang