Cornwalls, 10.00 each

Mallette

Been an interesting and profitable week. Never used Rotel RP-3000 turntable for 137.50, free SME 3009II arm, a number of outstanding LP's at .50 per, now, a pair of Cornwalls for 20.00. Well, I didn't get them, but my best friend did, along with an HH Scott Model 222B integrated VT amp (20 watts/channel) for 5.00. Quite an impressive system for a total of 25.00, donchaknow. As he is in no rush to resell, the working Cornwall will reside in my system indefinitely. Serial #5M162 Model CDBB. One works perfectly and now imaging issues are solved for a while as it is occupying the center channel. The other needs a woof replace. Both had burlap tacked on them and were covered with dog hair. Not pretty...but who the hell cares? Coat of paint and they'll be just fine!

Only verified tube function in the Scott, but haven't hooked it to anything. Cleaned it up a bit and I'd put it about 8 on a cosmetic scale. Few numbers worn on the volume control, but otherwise very beautiful.

Now that I have his eyes trained, I plan to keep him busy...

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Dave,

What's up with the $10.00 Cornwalls? This is just after the $150.00 each LaScalas. This is the only time I've thought I'm living in the wrong part of the US. Hope you weren't serious about the paint on the Cornwalls. Try some steel wool or very fine grit sandpaper, followed by some oil treatment.

Congrats, and I hope you gents are enjoying every minute!

Klipsch out.

The finish is decorator black. It's worn through in a number of spots. Paint would work fine, though veneering them would be very nice indeed.

Bottom line: It sounds great. Don't give a hoot in hell about appearance. Looking about music is like reading about paintings.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Mallett

"Now that I have his eyes trained, I plan to keep him busy..."

LOL

When I was in the second hand and antiques business I had a couple of "bird dogs" that went to garage/estate sales/auctions to buy for me in return for a portion of the gross profit. This arrangement did not last long because the guys - though well meaning - never could seem to find the right items and I found myself honour bound to "buy" the junque that they so proudly brought to me - (having used my money in the process).

The practice of bird dogging is often viewed by the non dealer public as somehow unfair and exploitive. I don't doubt that that may be true in some cases - but let me suggest a reason why the practice is necessary for some dealers. It is often the case that the seller is greedier than the dealer and/or believes that they are being "ripped-off" if a dealer buys their goods and resells them at a higher price - the assumption being of course that dealers routinely realise huge markups and have little or no overhead to cover. These same individuals naturally see nothing improper in the profits/salaries they gain from their own businesses/jobs.

The glaring example of this attitude in my experience:

I went to an estate sale and selected about $ 600.00 of goods - based on the asking prices on the tags. I did not in fact intend to negotiate price as the goods were fairly priced and I had many other sales to hit before everything got picked over. In other words I was prepared to pay the 600 - load up and head on down the road. My expectation was that when the dust settled I would realise about $ 2000.00 Gross profit over approximately 12-18 months on those goods - Net after overheads etc. would have been about 1200.00 before taxes. In my estimation that would have been a fair deal for both seller and buyer. As I stood in line behind the 10 cent to 10.00 customers I overheard the seller say to the woman sitting at the table next to her -"He's not getting any discounts - He's a dealer!! I've seen him buy things at garage sales for 50 cents and then ask 20.00 in his store!!

At that point I stepped out of the line and said to her that I had heard what she had said and that she could keep all of the $3000.00 worth of items I was going to buy and left in what I made sure appeared to be a display of wounded dignity - (even honest dealers Need to lie sometimes 8~)> )

The Capper ??

She had the Gall to call my store on the following Monday and ask how much she should ask for some "antiques" that she had not placed in the garage sale of the previous weekend!!

I would love to tell you that she described some valuable items and that I quoted unreasonably low values but the fact is that her understanding was that anything more than 25 years old and no longer sold by a manufacturer was somehow an antique - (visualise nose lifting and sniffing and being morphed into a condescendingly polite smirk....um err smile). I confess that I informed her that her leftovers were precisely that and that had I not been in a hurry to attend other sales the day I walked away from her sale - I would have not offered more than 400.00 for the items that I had picked out.

The Fun Part ?

I later learned that her sale had grossed about $ 800.00 and that most of the items I was prepared to pay asking price for went for much less!

The Moral??

Do not assume that If someone is willing to pay your price that you are underpricing. It may be that the buyer was willing to pay that amount and had reasons not to dick around trying to drive your price below what you are asking.

The Even Better Part??

I later learned that a pieceacrap set of "Diamond Necklace and Matching Earrings" that were priced at $100.00 and purchased by some poor sap - obviously cheapo glass -Umm,Err or so I told my wife who wanted them - were later sold at an auction in Calgary for about $ 700.00 by the buyer who was a jeweller who had spotted them and recognised the set as being "old-cut" diamonds from the mid 19th Century. As mid 19th Century jewellry they were not especially valuable but were certainly worth a hello of a lot more than the asking price.

How did I know??

You guessed it!! The original seller in my tale heard about the reselling and called me to complain about how dealers rip everyone off and recounted her "loss" to me.

I'll give her this That Woman was not lacking in Brass!

8~) >

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

These Cornwalls were well disquised. Looked like a dog house...dirty burlap stapled to them, dog hair everywhere, including on the cones. Even my sharp-eyed bud could believe his eyes when he saw the Klipsch labels on the back.

Of course, it took us all of ten minutes to get the babes cleaned up, and the one that is usable sounds as good as new. Probably a good thing they were decorator black, as veneer would have been a real mess under the same conditions. As it is, refinish will be quite easy.

Gonna test the Scott 222B today. It cleaned it real pretty as well.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Oops, found this thread too late to warn you: You've got the rare CW-DBBDH (Cornwall Designer Birch Black Dog Hair) model. Produced only on Saturdays, when Klipsch employees were allowed to bring pets to work (HDBRbuilder can fill us in on the details).

Unfortunately, now it's kind of like The Antique Roadshow, where I have to say, "Well, they're nice, but if you hadn't removed the original finish..."

Oh, well. Live and learn.

fini

This message has been edited by fini on 06-23-2002 at 09:30 AM