Blu-ray players???

usmcavenger

So I've always wondered but never actually asked anyone. I've always used my Playstation 3 to play Blu-ray movies but I've wondered if there are other Blu-ray players out there that are actually better than the Playstation's is? Like is there something that let's say, a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player can do that my PS3 isn't capable of?

• Like 1

I use the PS3 also and really enjoy it, but there are better players out there for sure. I suspect the top dog right now would be the Oppo 105. I'm sure the Pioneer you mention is an excellent player as well. As always it comes down to compromise. How much Blu-ray player do you really need?

I lived with a PS3 for YEARS, I finally got a Oppo93... big big improvment.Specially in upscaling and in terms of sound.

Sound, I thought the ps3 bitstreams dts master? Of course any difference in sound or picture can have a lot to do with the quality of your display and sound system.

I think it all comes down to what the individual considers "better". You can spend the extra money on an OPPO or buy something different for under 200.00

Will you see or hear a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Again, it's all about what the individual perceives as different. Fortunately I have a local dealer that I was able to audition the OPPO before I made my purchase. They also let me take their demo model home over the weekend to use on my equipment.

I was looking at an Oppo a couple months ago but decided to buy the Sony BDP-S790. Great bluray player for around 225.00. Experts say the upconversion is comparable to an Oppo. It also streams everything from your laptop such as music , photos, videos. It also plays SACD's. Excellent machine and half the cost of an Oppo.

I was looking at an Oppo a couple months ago but decided to buy the Sony BDP-S790. Great bluray player for around 225.00. Experts say the upconversion is comparable to an Oppo. It also streams everything from your laptop such as music , photos, videos. It also plays SACD's. Excellent machine and half the cost of an Oppo.

And there you have it.....a happy consumer that is very happy with their decision. [:D]

Tasdom quit being a smarty pants! I know your in <3 with your 105 but I'm just giving him an option that doesnt break the bank Stick out tongue

Seriously? That's exactly what I was saying. It all boils down to what makes you happy! I'm glad you are happy with your purchase...

I agree that it's a personal choice issue and you should get whatever makes you happy. For some - it's Oppo 105, for me it is Sony BDP-BX59 for $89 from costco. Has all the quality and features i want, plus it was inexpensive.

Considering that electronics does fail from time to time (like my previous bluray player that just died recently), i won't feel too bad if this one keels over suddenly. It also makes upgrading it less of a mental exercise as i have hard time justifying upgrading something every expensive. I also have hard time understanding where the increase in quality would come from in terms of picture or sound, as all of the recordings are digital and reader (bluray player) is just like a floppy drive in a computer - it will read the data, but all of the interpretation and presentation of the data will be done elsewhere. I guess they could try to make it load disks faster, have more ram for snappier experience on interactive disks, use better quality plugs and longer lasting components so it won't die like a cheaper unit.

I have not seen or heard Oppo, so i can't say that it does or does not have something on less expensive units, but i'm sure those who decided to get one are perfectly happy with it.

We have a sony S580. It's kinda loud when reading after you load. Is this common for you guys not only for sony but other brands? To me it's louder than a cpu drive.

It's common for some models. In fact, i had the S580 (before it died on the very first bluray that i've tried to play on it) and it was loud when spinning up the disk. The S590 that i got as replacement is much much quieter.