Sub not firing correctly

Compuelf

Hey all I apologize in advance for my ignorance... I am rather new to higher end gear.

That being said I recently switched from using Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system to using a Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver with a Klipsch SW-350 Powered Sub for my computer speakers. I am still using the Satellites from the ProMedia setup. The Sub is brand new, but doesn't always seem to fire when music is playing. At first I thought it was because it was on Auto. I had seen several forum posts about that, but I switched it to being on all the time and still have the problem.

When it was on Auto it would turn on but wouldn't fire. When I had it powered on it would fire, but super quiet. I have to unplug the cable and plug back in while music is playing then the sub plays beautifully. Any ideas?

The Receiver is connected to my computer via Optical Out and the sub is connected to the receiver using a digital coax from the dedicated sub port to the LFE port on sub.

Thanks!

You need to see if it's the signal or the amp itself. Do you have an i-pod or cd player player that you can rig to an RCA output? It doesn't need to be a sub output, a full range signal will work. Plug it in to the subs input, play some music and see what the sub does and report back.

WOW, so found my headphone to RCA splitter, plugged in my desktop 2channel output into the input... the thing nearly blew me away... i had to have it way turned up for my Receiver..... I'm guessing this means my receiver is the issue lol

I set the volume to half, the crossover to bypass, and ran the receiver setup again. It now sounds MUCH better. Very happy that it wasn't my sub :) Crossover seems a bit high on the receiver though... 200hz. Thanks for all your help!

[Y] Glad you got it going your way.

Most receivers crossover point is adjustable. 200Hz seems high to me too. Look around in the receivers bass management menu and see if you can find a way to change it. Play around with it and see what sounds best to you.

Ok, so I manually set the crossover to 120hz on the receiver. I was gone all weekend and when I came back there was more oddity...

The subwoofer wasnt firing and removing and reinserting the LFE cable didn't work. I then plugged into the PC as I had done previously and the Sub still did not fire.... then started mysteriously working. Both from the PC and the LFE... I'll just have to keep an eye on it. :/

Is there any way to increase the output level to the sub at the receiver? To keep the same volume as you currently have, you'll have to decrease the gain accordingly at the amp. Basically, see if you can turn the sub up with the receiver and down at the sub amp. This will give you a hotter signal coming out of your receiver and possibly keep your sub amp active.

I'd go back to how you checked it previously with a different source. If the sub amp works fine with a different source (which you said it did previously) and you've tried a different cable (which you said you have) then the issue must be the subwoofer output of your receiver.