curious about DHA2 crossovers

Daddy Dee

This crossover was shared with the forum by John Albright and is used by some forum members, including Marvel, who reports pleasing results with LaScalas and SET amps.

Here's the schematic, below. I've looked through the forum archives for a pic, but have not been able to locate one. Does anyone have a pic of this crossover they might post?

Any take on the crossover and compare and contrast with others would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-11993-13819830913668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One thing, does anyone know if the Solen L140.2 Litz 14ga inductor is still made? I haven't been able to locate this part. Should offer the disclaimer that I don't know electronics worth anything and may not be searching appropriately.

Mine are ugly... [:(]

The ones I built left off the lamp and 65 watt resistor for the tweeter protection, since I was using Bob's CT125 tweeters. A couple other changes were made as well.

Here's the scematic I used. I'll find a pic somewhere.

Bruce

post-7149-13819830914958_thumb.jpg

I don't know why an Lpad wouldn't work. Of course, should offer the disclaimer that I don't know much of anything about electronics.

Have read some posts on this forum about some downside to Lpads that I couldn't begin to articulate.

Back in the day, was doing some experimentation with tweeters on Khorns and found the Beyma cp25 (i think) to be too hot relative to the other drivers. Ran across Al Klappenberger's tweeter attenuators. These are cute little guys that use jumpers to adjust attenuation. They worked really well.

http://www.alkeng.com/pad.html

The autobulb has some resistance, so it's "a resistor". With the 65 ohm resistor, it acts as an L-pad. I believe it knocks a little over a dB off of the tweeter's output. The bulb doubles as tweeter protection. Faster than a polyswitch if I'm remembering right. After I built about a half dozen pair of these things I got it in my head to just use zeners and to forget about the L-pad. This is the only pair I built with zeners. After I did it, I realized I might have made a mistake. It's a first order tweeter filter and there's quite a bit of energy being sent to that driver. I was concerned that they might start activating too soon, cutting the tweeter's output when they shouldn't be. The customer never complained, and it's been over five years. By then I was building the Super AA, and only got one request (two if you count Bruce) for a pair of these. I got the idea to just built a first order Super AA and called it the Super A -- and built it so the attenuation could be adjusted. I also cheated and changed the 3.3uF to a 2.2uF to reduce a little of the tweeter energy. That was Bobby Crite's idea. I didn't want to use the bulb, zeners, or an L-pad. I'd thought about using another autoformer, but decided that was crazy expensive just to shave a dB or two off. So I called Bob for his thoughts. He said that since I'd already ruined the crossover by using a resistor, might as well go all the way and use the wrong cap. Seriously though, it was a good call -- sounded great.

post-3205-13819830918548_thumb.jpg

• Haha 1

The autobulb has some resistance, so it's "a resistor". With the 65 ohm resistor, it acts as an L-pad.

Almost zip when cold. As too much current flows through the bulb and it heats up (lights up), the resistance goes up and it does its magic with the other resistor.

Very nice pic. I wish mine looked as good. Maybe I'll have to redo them.

Bruce

Dee: also regarding the choke -- if you can't find the size you want, you can order slightly higher and unwind a bit til you get what's needed. You need a meter that measures L (inductance), though. That's what I did when winding my own inductors. Edit: or send to me and I'll unwind to the exact value needed and get it to you

• 2 weeks later...

Dean, that is the network you built for my LA Scala center channel speaker. It replaced the other gorgeous one you built with the Jensen PIO caps because I wanted something a little hotter. Still kicking to this day. Have the K-77M, dual phase plug solder terminal K-55V, and the K-33 in it.

lol, always wondered why I only had a picture of one of those. :) I did remember that I built for you, and that's doing pretty good for me these days. Yeah, the half deaf guys need something that knocks the wax out of their ears.

• 1 year later...

This crossover was shared with the forum by John Albright and is used by some forum members, including Marvel, who reports pleasing results with LaScalas and SET amps.

Here's the schematic, below. I've looked through the forum archives for a pic, but have not been able to locate one. Does anyone have a pic of this crossover they might post?

Any take on the crossover and compare and contrast with others would be appreciated. Thanks.

am I right to assume that the DH2A was used for the mid horn? I would imagine that an EV DH1506 or a DH1506HP would also work in this configuration. Thanks for posting this. Best regards Moray James.

DHA2 was the second iteration of John's crossover design, named after his brother Don H. Albright, if I remember correctly. Mine is a version 2, hence the DHA2.

I used them with K55 mids and Bob's CT125 tweeters.

Bruce