Any Value of Peavey SP1s as Garage Speakers?

Rhetor

A friend want to sell me some Peavy SP1s cheap . . . he says they are working 100%, but they sure are not mint . . . scratched up and obviously spent and the black painted veneer on top of one is coming off so will need wood filler around the top and repainted . . . chrome corner keeps all rusted . . . anyway, they work 100%, but just are not all that pretty. I am thinking about picking them up as garage speakers for the $100 bucks he wants me to drag them away for . . . he wants his storage space opened up by just getting rid of these behemoths. Are they worth $100 as garage speakers? Thinking of using them for music in the garage, driving them with an Adcom GFA 555 amp and a GTP 500 preamp/tuner with an iPod hooked up on it. All the speakers I own are Klipsch Heritage except for a pair of working but ugly Klipsch KG2s the Peavey SP1s will be replacing in the garage, and a pair of Bozak LS-400s in my day office. Just not sure the Peavey SP1 monster can do good music, or if they are really only a pa speaker. I do not mind giving them the garage floor space if I can get some good music out of . . . In the garage they can be ugly, just have to sound good for music . . . Too unfamiliar with them to decide if it is worth making them music garage speakers. Thoughts?

they are likely 35 years old so 100% of what is he talking about? That said $100.00 is a steal buy them or forget them but I think that you would have to be crazy to walk away as they are better bins than LaScala bins have superb horn and very good drivers the crossover is junk throw it away. what more do you need to know? If this is not a deal to you what would be? Best regards Moray James.

OK, Moray . . . What would I do for crossovers then if I threw away the ones in the SP1s? I can recap, but building my own crossovers is beyond me and I have no desire to take the time to learn . . . Between work and free time, learning crossover from scratch building just not a time spending interest for me. And finally, good for some garage 2 channel listening, or would I just be better off just listening to a pair of old KG4s in working order instead?

they are likely 35 years old so 100% of what is he talking about? That said $100.00 is a steal buy them or forget them but I think that you would have to be crazy to walk away as they are better bins than LaScala bins have superb horn and very good drivers the crossover is junk throw it away. what more do you need to know? If this is not a deal to you what would be? Best regards Moray James.

100% means they work well sonically . . . They just are not pretty.

Thanks, Michael . . . Actually, I never thought about it . . . but I have a couple of nice home made boxes with APT 50 Super Tweeters and attenuators in them I picked up on Craigslist a year ago. The original owner/fabricator is a jubilee owner, but not very active on the forum the last few years. Cannot remember his name, but a reaaly nice guy, of course. He made these nice looking boxes with the tweeters in them to sit on top of his La Scalas . . . sold these when he sold his La Scalas . . . I just have never had a a use for them yet . . . but, seems like I do now.

I am not sure I can go wrong for $100 on the SP1s, especially since I have the boxes already with he APT 50s in them. Now I just have to figure out connecting the 1/4" round cable connectors coming out of the SP1s to my old Adcom GFA 555 and GTP 500 . . . definitely two different cable connections. All new to me . . . I am learning. :-) ANd, I appreciate all the help. THanks.

Wow I dunno look around Klipsch got two way designs. The stock network in the SP1 is crappy in two ways, the parts are very old and awful and it has no CD compensation at all just an out of the book basic two way. Re cap it and be as happy as you like with thrm in the garage. The point was and is you cannot buy a new 22A version compression driver for much less than $100 bucks each. I am sure there are all manner of options not the least of which would be to turn these into a beautiful set of killer loudspeakers. I have owned this exact speaker (Claude has a pair with K402 horns on top of them along with a pair of QSC tweeters and Lab 12 Tapped Horn sub woofer. You acan read about his rig on the forum. I think you want a simpler solution. Buy something that works and stop worring about it. I don't see why this has to be hard. Forgive me but I know what these thing are and I know exactly what they look like and how they are built, been inside them and have a good idea of what they can do. I still have two sets of the CH-1 horns they are excellent horns. I guess this is a perspective situation I see possible excellence you see bilg old ugly boxes. I won't argue with you about how they look but they don't have to look like that but you have to decide if you want a little project as in re cap them or a big project as in dress them up. Why don't you buy them recap them and use them for a while and see what you think, you are not going to loose money on them. I feel like I am getting cranky here and I don't mean to but I do feel frustrated and it would be a shame to see these in the dump. You can buy cheap of shore pro amps with built in active digital crossovers for little and have stunningly fantastic party speaker that can kick *** with the help of a sub boc or you can do the same vented bottem end trick DJK devised for the LaScala with them and get output down to 30 Hz but not for PA just inside ok . Good luck what ever you decide to do. Best regards Moray James.