Outside Movie

Rivernuggets

Back in the day our neighborhood used to have Friday night movies during the summer. These were held outside at a city park pavillion near our elementary school. This is something I'd like to start up again. One of the neighborhood guys has a projector/screen, and I've got a few sets of speakers. Haven't looked into logistics yet as far as noise permits, reserving the space, clearing the movie (hoping for something Disney/Pixar) for public showing, etc.

I was thinking of presenting in just 2.0 stereo: Older Panasonic DVD player with composite outputs, Harman Kardon 3390 (using preamp section) to a QSC PLX 1804 amp powering KG 5.5s (rough cabinets), . What do you think? I've never done an outside thing like this.

Sure, I'll do a dry run beforehand. If it gets that far, there's no way to guess how many people would show up with their kids. The neighborhood is something like 1500 households. [:|] [:D]

Posting in our neighborhood Facebook group should get the word out just fine.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I will do some tests once the snow is gone, but do you all think KG 5.5s will be loud enough? I haven't blasted Klipsch outside and those MVM or MCM things (whatever those models) are not an option. I don't want to blast people into the woods, just be loud enough to get over the ambient noise of families outside together.

Thanks for the link dtel. I don't know much at all about outside projection and looks like this site will help.

What a great way to bring a small community together!

That's exactly what I want to happen. The guy who volunteered to bring his screen/projector is in his 40s, and was talking about how eveyone in the neighborhood is more seperated than when he was young.

I'm hoping to have maybe a card table or two there for us adults to play some cards. I guess there are picnic tables in the pavillion. Would be great to find some Euchre folks around here.

Where in the Madison area are you going to be doing this? If I still lived in Waterloo, I would haul in my LaScalas. They wouldn't have to be any louder, but would project better.

Our college does an outdoor movie or two during the year. I'll find out what we have to do to stay legal on using a movie and get back with you. We have switched to all Panasonic projectors at the school, and the rep from Atlanta dropped off something like a 10,000 lumen unit for us to 'try' out. NICE!

Bruce

This is a great idea Riv.! I've said many times "The Garage Door Opener Has Killed The Community"!!! We don't even see our neighbors anymore!

I'll find out what we have to do to stay legal on using a movie and get back with you.

Bruce

Good idea Bruce. At the beginning of every DVD I've ever watch has a disclaimer about "use rights". So, you'll want to check out the legalities!

Also, call the City/County about a permit to use the park. If the cost is high, maybe the elementary school will donate the space. Just a thought.

Dennie

Where in the Madison area are you going to be doing this?

Grounds that connect with Elvehjem Elementary, east Madison.

If I still lived in Waterloo, I would haul in my LaScalas. They wouldn't have to be any louder, but would project better.

Thanks for the thought. Projecting is what I'm wondering about.....being able to hit the people at the back. Only other time I've done this was for a wedding reception inside a barn. I used Forte IIs and Heresy Is with an HK730. Volume wasn't a problem even with real high ceilings but outside audio is uncharted for me. Whatever speaker I end up using should be as high up as possible, shooting straight over or slightly down toward people. Seems to be the M.O. at many outside venues I've attended.

I'll find out what we have to do to stay legal on using a movie

Thanks Bruce

Here are some of my thoughts on the speaker question.

If this is gonna be a block party kind of thing with covered dishes, grilles, daytime games and a movie for the people who don't wanna play cards, then the speakers you have would be good enough. If you want the movie to be the centerpiece; the thing all the fuss is about, then the LaScalas will defenitely convey the sound best. It all depends on the size of the audience and the expectations you give everyone. One thing you want to make sure of is that the screen is higher than a HT would be. Since you don't control the seating, you want people to be able to see over the heads of the people in front of them.

If you want the movie to be the centerpiece...the LaScalas will defenitely convey the sound best.

Yes the movie will be the centerpiece. It's the idea that got this all going in my head. I won't be arranging/planning food or daytime games before twilight. I imagine people showing up at sunset, kids running around and a couple frisbees until it's dark enough. If the first time happens and is a hit and many people show up, then maybe food and games/activities at the next gig.

Other speaker options:

KLF-30 pair, but they're in decent shape and I'd cringe having them outside

Heresy I Decs, very rough cabs

"licensed for home use only" means backyard use with neighbors is OK (i think as long as it's not advertised)

Pretty sure I will need permission to show as I'll be posting something on our neighborhood group Facebook page and (hopefully) putting a couple signs up.

"licensed for home use only" means backyard use with neighbors is OK (i think as long as it's not advertised)

Pretty sure I will need permission to show as I'll be posting something on our neighborhood group Facebook page and (hopefully) putting a couple signs up.

I think you are OK as long as you don't collect money for showing the movie. However, still look it up to make sure. I know I wouldn't want to face those fines and jail time!

I think you are OK as long as you don't collect money for showing the movie. However, still look it up to make sure. I know I wouldn't want to face those fines and jail time!

No, that's not true. Collecting money dosen't make any difference. It will be interesting to find out what the rule/law is?!! They show movies at the Park near me, which is usually "Grease", every Summer. I do know that DVD/Blu Rays are for "Private Use Only". But I don't know the rules/laws.

Dennie

We do an outdoor movie here on my campus a few times a year. There are certain movies that are now "Public Domain". I am sure there is a list out there somewhere. Ferris Buler is one.

Another thing... Keep the speakers high. If not, the front 2 rows will block out the sound to everyone behind them. They dont need to be that loud if they are visible to everyone.