Going old school....need speaker advice!

Pronex

I just picked up a 70's Pioneer turntable and receiver. I am looking for some good Klipsch speakers to accompany them. What would be good for a two channel setup. I have been looking at KG4's, kg3.5. Heresy's, etc. What are the pros and cons? Which one doesn't need as much power to sound great. Not really sure on the budget. I guess I'd rather take my time and get something good vs getting something ill want to upgrade later. Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a pretty open living room. Very high ceilings that opens to a loft. It also opens up to dining room and main enterance. Not sure on exact measurements but I can get those if needed. My musical taste ranges a lot. I listen to a lot of classic rock, classical music,raggea, big band, country, etc. You name it and I probably have it. Sound seems to travel extremely well throught the house. I currently have a small all in one record payer that I was using and I could hear that little thing all around. I do want the new speakers to really fill the room though. I love that deep, full sound with a lot of clarity.

Oh man, some good advice going on here. I think you should start with KG4s and see how they sound. But Wuzzer, and Budman hit it on the nose. My main 2 channel rig is with Heresies which feels my basement with great sound. But my Cornwalls are on the main floor which feel my whole house with music. I would think any of those 3 would work great, worse case you could all ways add a sub down the road. It is all ways tough making these decisions, which would come down to budget for me. Keep it simple for who ever comes over to just be able to turn on the system and let the music flow.

I actually love how the sound travels through the house. It's great to be in any room and hear the music. I'm kinda thinking of seeing if I can get the KG4's for decent price. That will get me started. Then I could start saving for the cornwalls. Otherwise if I go right for the cornwalls I will need to save up for a bit and I think I would go crazy without any speakers at all. I could always end up moving the KG4's to the bedroom. Anyone have any KG4's that could tell me what they are like? Also, what is a good price for them?

I actually love how the sound travels through the house. It's great to be in any room and hear the music. I'm kinda thinking of seeing if I can get the KG4's for decent price. That will get me started. Then I could start saving for the cornwalls. Otherwise if I go right for the cornwalls I will need to save up for a bit and I think I would go crazy without any speakers at all. I could always end up moving the KG4's to the bedroom. Anyone have any KG4's that could tell me what they are like? Also, what is a good price for them?

For filling the house, nothing comes close to the Klipschorn. And it's definitely got the vintage mojo.

I bought my KG4s senior year of high school and they went immediately to college with me. They were obnoxious in the dorm or apartment (room size to sound) and were great at the house for all uses. They were small enough to move around as needed and served well for sporting events and music. Still have them 23 years later and they still sound and look great.

My Cornwalls are in the garage right now as I recap and veneer the cabinets. I would start with the KG4 and keep an eye out on Craigslist or similar for Cornwalls. I got mine under $500 so there are plenty of finds out there.

Because of it's rear passive driver, the KG 4 has larger bottom end than the KG 3.5 but the bass is much flabbier. The KG 3.5 is one of the best bangs for the bucks in music, but can be a bit bright and doesn't bring as much bass to the table. Paired with an old school Pioneer it should sound quite good. I've owned both and would go for the KG 3.5. in the $150 to $200 range.

In the KG line I'd also prefer the 5.2 and 5.5 over the 4.

KG4s are a fine speaker and Bob Crites sells a nice titanium diaphram for the tweeter that really is a nice inexpensive upgrade. Sure, there are better Klipsch speakers out there, all for a much higher price, but the KG4 is a solid speaker and a great value. You should be able to get a pair for $200 max, probably a good deal less. Even though

I have better in my basement I am always happy to listen to the KG4 KG3 system we have in the livingroom. I am always pleased with overall sound.

Because of it's rear passive driver, the KG 4 has larger bottom end than the KG 3.5 but the bass is much flabbier. The KG 3.5 is one of the best bangs for the bucks in music, but can be a bit bright and doesn't bring as much bass to the table. Paired with an old school Pioneer it should sound quite good. I've owned both and would go for the KG 3.5. in the $150 to $200 range.

Got to agree with thebes here. I've got kg 3.5s and they are great speakers. I always felt they neeed some extra bottom, though, but never got around to adding a sub. Instead, I went with fotre IIs for my 2-chanel rig and no longer feel the need to add a sub.

I'm looking for another pair of 3.5s (or 4.5s) to add to my originals plus a klipsch center & sub for my ht system.

Never heard them, but I bet kg 5.5s are great without sub, especially if you're a rocker!

Frank W.