Going old school....need speaker advice!

Pronex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm. Well you guys have me thinking. Found a pair of KG3.5s for $180. I'm thinking about checking them out. Sounds like they should be a good match.

Talk 'em down to $150. I had a pair of 3.5s I used as surrounds for a while and they were great.

Hmm. Well you guys have me thinking. Found a pair of KG3.5s for $180. I'm thinking about checking them out. Sounds like they should be a good match.

Talk 'em down to $150. I had a pair of 3.5s I used as surrounds for a while and they were great.

as long as Granny's not selling them...

I thought the same thing. LOL [;)]

Dennie

I thought the same thing. LOL Wink

Dennie

OK fellows.... Watch it now!

5756619-senior-woman-protecting-gingerbr

I thought the same thing. LOL Wink

Dennie

OK fellows.... Watch it now!

5756619-senior-woman-protecting-gingerbr

...........[:$]

Dennie [:P]

Well. The kg3.5s fell through. I have, however, found a pair of Quartets. Anyone have any experience with these? The tweeter has been upgraded to the Crites tweeter. The seller says they are in excellent condition. Compared them to new out of the box. Have not had a chance to see or hear them yet in person, but I have a date scheduled with him. What is a fair price for these? He is asking $550. Seems a bit high. But I have not really heard much about Quartets so I do not know.

Quartets are very good speakers. They hold a higher resale than most would think, because few were sold when compared to the forte & Chorus. INMHO, for the price that a "Mint" pair would fetch, why not focus on the forte or forte II for basically the same price point? The forte lineup is clearly a step up from the Quartet.

True that John but he has to get what is available and might not want to wait any longer. The Quartet does have the tractrix mid going for it compared to the forte original. The pair available also has been upgraded which may factor into the decision. Either way it's hard to go wrong I would not argue with getting them or waiting. Maybe get the Quartets now and pounce on forte II's when possible and finance it with the quartets?

950 on the chorus II's too pricy imo.

Oldtimer, true your thought as well! Quartets will hold the value paid if something else comes along. I have had my forte II for over 20 years now, and the only thing I would replace them with are Khorns, should I ever have the 40X40 designated listening area in order for them to really sing! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I love how this thread has progressed. Started with kg4's and now we got him looking at quartets chorus and fortes... Maybe even cornwall's .... I'd say get the kg 4's from ur friend, I imagine you will get a good deal. After listening to them for a while you will want more speakers.. Call it a hunch. Though if u can find a good deal on a heritage line speaker then go for it.

Charlie

Update!! Well, I bought the Quartets!! Oh...my...god.....amazing. Absolutely was floored. I purchased them on my way up to Michigan to visit family for a few days. Can not wait to get them home. I was able to demo them for quite a while at the sellers house. Played all kinds of different music. Everything we threw at them sounded incredible. What sucks is I think these are only going to be a new beginning for me. I'm starting to rethink my F3's for the home theater. I'm seriously in love with how these Quartets sounded. I'd love to grab those KG4's now for the bedroom. Man oh man...I think I'm in trouble.