Should I trade my Velodyne HGS15 for B&W DM 604 S3

Youthman

• Moderators

I posted in this thread that my wife is finally open to me building a 2ch setup for my living room (pics of my room here). Not too long ago, I posted about a pair of B&W DM 604 S2 that I bought and absolutely loved how they sounded in the living room....but they only lasted 1 week as the wife reminded me of our original agreement.....when we built our house, I get a HT and can do whatever I want in that room but all speakers have to remain in there.

Fast forward 5 years later, she is now open to having speakers in the living room (because she wants some new furniture). LOL

Last night, I had a long conversation with a local gentleman that has a pair of
B&W DM 604 S3 (newer version than I had) speakers in great condition with original boxes. He
has them listed for $700 but would take $650. Both the B&W and the Velodyne are selling on Ebay for around the same price ($700 - $800 plus shipping). So it seems it would be an even trade if we both agree. He currently has dual Velodyne F1500 subs (15" with 250 watt amp). I have owned two F1500 subs and the HGS15 that I have now is a MUCH better sub and it has a 1250 / 3000 watt amp with piano black finish and XLR inputs.

When I had the B&W DM 603's in the living room, they were just beautiful to look at and sonically, they sounded fantastic. With the three 7" drivers and being front ported, there was a very good amount of bass which is perfect because I have no plans to have a sub in the living room. I just want some speakers that can play music while we are hanging out in the living room, office and kitchen.

I also have a pair of Forte II in their original boxes that I bought to use in the living room. The B&W's have a much smaller profile than the Forte (width wise). I know if I get the B&W, I will do some A/B comparisons to see which I like better in that room and then sell the other.

Since I bought my RSW-15, the Velodyne HGS15 has not been turned on. The RSW-15 provides plenty of room shaking bass for my HT.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the 2ch folks here as the seller and I are considering a possible trade.

Saw your room links and former speaker pics. Youth, sounds like you loved the look and sound of your previous version 604s. And the Fortes for a later side-by-side. With your KSW15 you no longer even fire up the HGS15 . . . Sounds like a solid trade to get you where you are going with only shipping money out there. Plus, you have no trouble selling in the end what does not work for you. Did you reread your own words about how much you liked your former 604s? Pretty glowing. And now these will be S3s instead of the S2s you had . . . I will be surprised if you do not make the trade. :-). So, trading out an unused and no plan to be used HGS15 for B&W DM 604 S3s for a two channel setup you will be planning to use for low volume ambiance? Sounds like it is back to the future for you . . . On the 604s . . . Unless, you think you can get more cash selling the HGS15 to then straight up pay cash for a pair of 604s, if you think your HGS15 is more valuable and selling it to cash buy a set of 604s will leave money in your pocket. But, if selling the sub and buying B&Ws you want again, will be a $ wash . . . Then you have a great trade there, betting you where you want to go . . . With, by reading your other two links is what you really want . . . Back to the future with a beautiful set of 604 S3s, a sound you liked when you had it. All the best in your decision.

• Moderators

I think your assessment is spot on. No shipping cost as the guy is local. He upgraded to B&W 801 and has Krell amps.

I too think its a no brained. If he is willing, I could pack up the HGS15 to let him demo it in his own setup. Would love to hear the B&W on his Krell amps and to see how his 801 sound

• Moderators

Thx Dennie, I believe so too.

Now, I hope you did not listen on his Krell amps, because I have not seen any of those for sale in Florida!

He just moved into a new home and none of his gear is hooked up yet. He had 3 Krell Amps. Two 2-channel amps (shown below) were bi-amped to the mains and (1) smaller 5-channel amp powering the center, side and rear surrounds. The 2-channel Krell's had some sick looking heat sinks!

Super nice guy. We talked audio for about 2 hours. He was planning on buying an 80" TV but I think I convinced him to go projection as the TV was going to be $4000 and he would end up with a much smaller image than he could get with projection.

Krell1.jpg

Krell2.jpg

Krell3.jpg

Krell4.jpg

• Moderators

Thx Quiet. You buy them, I'll shoot them. [:D]

Actually, one day I will find a good deal on a pair and bring them home to hear in my own setup, just out of curiosity. I've head Jeff Hoak's and they sounded great. Honestly though, I'm not sure I'll ever sell my RF-83's.