Sound compatibility of using a RC-52 II Center with my Heresy II mains.

sgalante

I am currently looking to possibly upgrade my center channel speaker in my HT system. My nephew decided to upgrade his system to a full NHT system, and sold me his Yamaha NS-C310 center channel for a bargain a year or so ago. My system is not what anyone would consider thought out. It is more a conglomeration of equipment gifted or bought over the past years.

This is the setup:

Yamaha RX-V867 Receiver

Klipsch Heresy II (Mains)

Advent 5002 (Rears) (A gift for graduation from college in 1981)

Yamaha NS-C310 (Center Channel)

Klipsch RW-12d (Sub)

I was thinking of upgrading the CC to a RC-52-II since that model will fit into the custom cabinet I had made for me last year. I only have 7" clearance for the CC in the cabinet.

I would appreciate any thoughts the true Klipsch users here have about the compatibility sound wise of this CC with the rest of what I have.

Thank you in advance.

wuzzzer,

Thank you for your answer but, I'm not sure if you realize the 7" size limitation I have is only in height. I do have a 7" H x 48" W x 22" D space to put my CC. Are you actually saying I would be better off with NO Center Channel? Doesn't seem like no CC would be better than something!

I've always been of the opinion that using no center speaker is a much, much better way to go than going with one that is a complete mis-match to your front main speakers. You aren't missing anything by going without one as all the sound will be produced from your front two speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been of the opinion that using no center speaker is a much, much better way to go than going with one that is a complete mis-match to your front main speakers. You aren't missing anything by going without one as all the sound will be produced from your front two speakers.

I agree phantom would be better that the rc-52ii imo with the heresys.

I would like to thank everyone that contributed an answer.

I tried going without my current Center Channel Speaker (Yamaha NS-C310) and the sound for HT, is not nearly as nice without it, at least the way I have my system configured now. I will attempt to set it up using the Yamaha's YPAO (the automated system Yamaha builds into their receivers to do a virgin set up of speaker placement) with out the Center being hooked up at all, and see if that changes much. Otherwise, I am going to stay with some form of Center speaker for HT. When listening to music, I do use Pure Direct so that I am only listening to my main speakers, but this is a HT forum, so I asked with that in mind.

I have to think that not everyone has the room (as in a place below or behind the television) to place a center with similar size drivers when they have something as large as Heresy or even worse (size wise) something like LaScalas as main speakers.

I have to think that not everyone has the room (as in a place below or behind the television) to place a center with similar size drivers when they have something as large as Heresy or even worse (size wise) something like LaScalas as main speakers.

I couldn't find a TV stand that had space for my Academy. The BB salesman actually tried to get me to buy a smaller center channel! [8-)] I ended up using a dining table for my TV and the old stand for my Academy.

Good choice Mongo, see, you're not a pawn if life, after all; wish I'd done the same. I'm either going to get a stand over top of TV for the center; or, better yet, wall mount the Plasma, and use the cabinet for the center and remove shelf so Denon AVR-3312CI can ventilate better. Even better yet, an external amp and 2 centers...

Good choice Mongo, see, you're not a pawn if life, after all; wish I'd done the same. I'm either going to get a stand over top of TV for the center; or, better yet, wall mount the Plasma, and use the cabinet for the center and remove shelf so Denon AVR-3312CI can ventilate better. Even better yet, an external amp and 2 centers...

If I had the option, I would've mounted the TV on the wall. But, my setup doesn't give me that option.