Did I do good??

Guest Teresa Wright

Guest Teresa Wright

Ok, so checking out craigslist yesterday I came across a pair of Cornwall II for $150.00. Went and checked them out-they are HUGE! Anyway, couldn't pass up the deal, cabs are a bit rough, but sonically they sound great. Had my nephew come over and help me get them in the house. Hooked them up and MAN-we were both very impressed. He had never heard Klipsch speakers before. He kept saying how clear and refined they were, no clipping distortion, etc. My room is pretty small, we could feel the air moving from the sound-very AWESOME. Anyway, I think I did pretty well, the guy said they were his grandmas, didn't even know what he had, just wanted to get rid of them. I thought about lowballing, cuz of the cab condition, but thought I better just give him the money and get out before he realized what he had. I think they are 1985-that's what the connectors say-the tags are missing. The grills are pretty good-a couple of snags, but both badges are intact. SO??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Teresa, I think you did great. Congratulations!! [<:o)]

You may want to update the crossovers one day, as they are 28 years old and probably out of spec., but as Boxx said, ENJOY!!

There are a few places to get the parts or replace the crossovers. Here is one that I used and am completely satisfied with --> CRITESSPEAKERS.Com

Dennie

Teresa; I have a hard time reading your post. makes me feel a little ill and so very much disapointed. You did very well can't say the same for the grand mother. Too bad that you did not lowball and get sent packing. People deserve better than this. I think it is sick. Best regards Moray James.

Guest Teresa Wright

Whaat?? Is it my fault they didn't know?? Well, sorry you feel that way, I'm not looking to flip them. I'm probably gonna sell my RF-62ii's and keep these.

I think they are 1985-that's what the connectors say-the tags are missing.

My 1979 Cornwalls have the information stamped into the edge of top piece on the back of the speaker using letter/number stamps directly into the plywood that can be read to figure out their date of manufacture...apparently a Klipsch practice since discontinued later.

Don't worry about all comments that you receive - we have a happy asylum here for audio extremists and even middle of the road types.

I believe that the most important factor is not the money someone gained or lost, but the daily pleasure and satisfaction that good audio reproduction brings each day to enrich our lives.

The capacitors in those Cornwall crossovers can be replaced if they the old oil can types (large, shiny metal round-edged devices inside the cabinets with two connectors on top). The suggestion to go to Bob Crites to find replacement film caps at a reasonable price and to get good instructions on how to install (assuming you can find a soldering iron for an hour or so) is a good one, IMHO. If they are the original capacitors, they will likely make the speakers sound a bit dull/lifeless.

Enjoy!

Chris

Teresa; I have a hard time reading your post. makes me feel a little ill and so very much disapointed. You did very well can't say the same for the grand mother. Too bad that you did not lowball and get sent packing. People deserve better than this. I think it is sick. Best regards Moray James.

Unless I'm missing the sarcasm moray, you are being pretty tough on Teresa. What would you have done differently, so as to prevent a sudden illness on your part?

th?id=H.4536113451172357&pid=1.9&w=300&h

Chris, klipsch stopped stamping the serial numbers in the wood in ( Y )1983 so these will not have them.

and don't worry about the crossovers i've had at least 12 sets of cornwalls/14 sets of heresys. had crossovers rebuilt in some. could i tell the difference YES/NO/MAYBE

Chris, klipsch stopped stamping the serial numbers in the wood in 1983 so these will not have them

Thanks for the heads up. Teresa: you can ignore that part of my above posting concerning stamped numbers/letters.

Chris

star-trek-facepalm.jpg

Too funny.... [Y]

Guest Teresa Wright

Yea, I'm about to cry. And then return these. Well, maybe not return them. Ok, I can't see any stamps on the back-pictures didn't turn out very well-it does say Cornwall ll and 1985??

post-48696-13819831325566_thumb.jpg

Tresa I am sorry for you that you still feel that way even after being called on it and having some time to reflect upon the situation you still can't see it. Nothing wrong with a deal, Grandma probably just needed to make room and likely could not find a better home for them too bad I don't see that you deserve the deal. Obviously was not a sharp enough deal for you as you were itching to gind grandma a little harder because they did not look as good as you wanted them to. You know in all likelyhood they belonged to Grandpa and there would be some kind of attachment there. There may well have been a truly wonderful story behind those Cornwall speakers, something nicer than your greedy little "did I get a good enough deal?" concern but you don't need to know and probably could not give a crap about that. Think what ever you like I don't give a rats end what you think or do. This is one of those situations I wish our forum had "ignore" options so you and I can ignore each other to death. That works for me. Shame on you. Best regards Moray James.