Pipe Organ in da (church) house!

Mallette

The check is written and will go out tomorrow. If you need tubes let me know.

Good luck with the installation.

Bud, you move me to tears...and no smiley face with that as I mean it.

Thank you, kind sir.

Dave

Bud? Whose this Bud guy?

I'm a Bub, not a Bud, as in "Hey you Bub", and don't you ever forget it! [:D]

Jeeez what a marvelous pairing. If you can make a movie. Document the entire move, the installation and the coronation. I bet the church could market the video, recoup acquisition funds and get a new roof as well. Besides it would be very interesting and extremely inspirational. Call National Geographic or Smithsonian (not Discovery or History). Serious congrats on this deal.

Wieser?

Wieser is a town in SW Idaho. Pronounced WEE-zer by the wise, in Idaho colloquial.

Fiddling Capital of the World.

Wieser?

Wieser is a town in SW Idaho. Pronounced WEE-zer by the wise, in Idaho colloquial.

Fiddling Capital of the World.

Budweezer?

Dave

This will be an incredible bargain, even figuring the obligatory gitches along the way.

A local church had a parishoner donate for an organ, a lovely self-contained thing. Price inclusing installation? A cool million dollars...and this was not an all-out, cost-no-object effort. Not even close.

A local church had a parishoner donate for an organ, a lovely self-contained thing. Price inclusing installation? A cool million dollars...and this was not an all-out, cost-no-object effort. Not even close.

Very true. That's a mid-sized instrument. The Schoenstein my friend George designed was north of 2.5 million. People blanch at those numbers, but these instruments last indefinitely when properly maintained. The Sion instrument has now been in service nearly six hundred years, having been installed 2 decades before the last Roman emperor was deposed in Constantinople. Good value!

Ours is a very modest instrument, but we are a rather modest parish who has always tended to put our offerings into the community rather than the church physical plant. That was beginning to show. An understanding has developed that a vibrant music program is one of the foundations of the traditional church and "if you build it, they will come." And when they come, they bring offerings and those offerings increase our ability to reach out to the homeless, the hungry, the lonely, and the ill.

I asked George (the great organist and instrument designer who is my friend), Brian (the seller and also an expert), and Lee (our organist) to list in priority order the things they'd add to this instrument if they could. Some thoughts have already started to come in and this is "the fun part" of dreaming up just what this little jewel might become.

Dave

sounds like a really nice church. thinking of right things.

To a fault, DD. Roofs leaking, organ squawking, but the community garden is filled with fruits and veges, and our homeless shelter always stocked. Aside from requirements like salaries, clergy retirement, diocesan assessment, etc, 80 percent goes right back into the community and not a soul is required to listen to sermon.

I always liked it, but when my daughter passed away these people enfolded us in a way that passes all understanding and I am likely to leave this place only feet first.

Dave

Well, here is my "sandbox" for this project. It probably won't look much like this as these are just components I've modeled to move around. This also represents some capital improvements to the choir loft that, if they want to do them, aren't coming out of the organ fund. However, I figure I might as well fix some things that are broken and offer them to clergy/vestry since we'll have to make some mechanical and structural changes to fit the instrument anyway.

The smaller box to the extreme right is NOT a swell box, but a decorative screen to hold my Frazier Elevens which will voice the Hauptwerk MIDI organ. I just copied and scaled the swell box down for ease and consistency.

I want to thank Marty (Thebes), Doug (Daddy Dee), and Brad (bracurrie) for thier absolutely voluntary, unexpected, and generous support of this project. Our parish is small, and really tight about anything that doesn't directly go back to the community, so projects like this are considered very seriously before we do it. I am amazed and thrilled by the support they've given so far...and even more so my from friends here.

As mentioned, this will take a while, but I'll update occasionally as milestones happen.

PS - If you have decent speakers attached to your PC, I recommend

. I am amazed at the quality. My most critical listen would not be able to prove this wasn't recorded on the unique and magnificent Cavaille-Coll instrument at Notre Dame de Metz. The main thing is that it demonstrates the abilities of the virtual pipe organ via MIDI. I love this, as you still have to build the real thing in order to sample it, and it provides access to the finest organ creations of humankind to all of us. As I've mentioned, it is my plan to flesh out our real, though small, Schantz with this technology. I've located a few people with the skills to come in and balance the MIDI against the real so as to provide a seamless sound. Bleeding edge, and I'm loving it!

Dave

post-9494-13819831714532_thumb.png

What a Blessing! I got to go to the dedication concert of the new organ at St. Brigid Catholic CHurch in Alpharetta (Atlanta)sometime in 2004. They put in a huge Casavant Frères, Opus 3832. You can see some pics of the new church and the organ if you look at the OHS organ database site:

http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=30074

They had a huge section of the Atlanta Symphony there, with soloists and full choir. For a new church, it looks pretty good. [;)]

Can't wait to see the progress on getting yours moved and installed.

Bruce

Fine looking instrument, Bruce. Casavant still does great work.

I'm really waking up to the mass of detail required for DIY organ. DIY in the sense that I've got to analyze this thing with the help of my expert group by email and phone, then get hard numbers on time and costs. Not an easy task in the organ world. The established companies have wait times in years and don't mess with "spot" work as we need for swell boxes and such.

Well, as Confucious say "Keep nose to grindstone. Losing nose, but saving face..."

Dave

The father of a couple of forum members worked for an organ company and had a midified organ installed in their house in Florida. I think they finally sold it.

I wish my church in Atlanta could afford a pipe organ for Richard Morris. It's almost a crime he has to play on an electronic organ.

Bruce

The father of a couple of forum members worked for an organ company and had a midified organ installed in their house in Florida. I think they finally sold it.

Jim Tidwell, JT1stcav. Haven't heard from Jim in years. He had a great site with lots of pix of that instrument which took up all the garage and a lot of the house. His father was an organ builder whose last project, I believe, was rebuilding the Boston Symphony Hall's instrument. The residence organ feel into disrepair and the father was either too busy or too tired to fix it. It eventually was sold to another homeowner up in the Carolinas, I believe.

It's almost a crime he has to play on an electronic organ.

No, it IS a crime. Hopefully, I am about to demonstrate that it's possible to get the real thing cheaper than a "first class" (contradiction in terms, IMHO) electronic. In our case, no question a new Allen would run more than what we will spend on the augmented Schantz. There are many, many fine old instruments in need of adoption. Granted, I am tempering my distaste of "electronic" by attempting a hybridization, but at least MIDI instruments are not, in the strict sense, synthetic. They are real organs that have been sampled. Proof of performance is in that Cavaille-Coll link in my earlier post. I don't think "real" instruments will disappear as long as their are discerning humans left to play and appreciate them. OTOH, hybrids will spread as we learn to augment small instruments with otherwise unaffordable stops and features in this way. AGO (Amercan Guild of Organists) opened the door over a decade ago when they accepted use of 32' and larger sampled stops in "real" organs due to space and cost, as well as the development of the technology to a point where few, if any, could tell the difference.

But, my opinion remains that no matter how realistic fake flowers become, they'll never replace the real thing.

Dave

Richard's health isn't the best, but he is still performing:

http://www.spiveyhall.org/events/richard-morris-organ-4/

Unfortunately, at our church, the space where the organ and schola reside is only about 14 x 15 feet.There is really no place in adjoining rooms that would work to install any kind of real pipe organ. sigh... Sorry to hijack your thread.

Bruce