Amy

Deang

There used to be a sticky pinned to the top of this place explaining how it was supposed to be used. It used to be a place where forum members would give other forum members an opportunity to purchase something before it went out to the general public. Now though, In many instances, it is simply being used as another place to list an ad, while other listings run concurrently on eBay, Craigslist, etc. There is also the problem of some sellers not communicating when their item(s) have sold, and/or fail to respond to inquiries within the thread or emails and PMs in a timely manner (or at all). I would like to see people locked out of this section when they don't have the common decency to behave, well -- decent.

Thanks, Dean

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change can be good.... I have seen many people benefit from adds posted by members on deals they have found. Maybe this wasn't the initial intention of this section but it seems to be evolving into something that helps many and irks few.

There used to be a sticky pinned to the top of this place explaining how it was supposed to be used. It used to be a place where forum members would give other forum members an opportunity to purchase something before it went out to the general public. Now though, In many instances, it is simply being used as another place to list an ad, while other listings run concurrently on eBay, Craigslist, etc. There is also the problem of some sellers not communicating when their item(s) have sold, and/or fail to respond to inquiries within the thread or emails and PMs in a timely manner (or at all). I would like to see people locked out of this section when they don't have the common decency to behave, well -- decent.

Thanks, Dean

i agree.

many moons ago i posted an ad from ebay, i believe, and the original author was none too happy that i did. long and short, i apologized and the matter was settled between the two parties, me and him......UNTIL a fellow forum member got involved and blew it out of proportion. something that was none of his business......just saying.

"many moons ago i posted an ad from ebay, i believe, and the original author was none too happy that i did. long and short, i apologized and the matter was settled between the two parties, me and him......UNTIL a fellow forum member got involved and blew it out of proportion. something that was none of his business......just saying."

Was the eBay seller upset that you posted the eBay ad? If so, I fail to see why an eBay seller would be upset about the additional exposure.

Perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding the scenario.

"many moons ago i posted an ad from ebay, i believe, and the original author was none too happy that i did. long and short, i apologized and the matter was settled between the two parties, me and him......UNTIL a fellow forum member got involved and blew it out of proportion. something that was none of his business......just saying."

Was the eBay seller upset that you posted the eBay ad? If so, I fail to see why an eBay seller would be upset about the additional exposure.

Perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding the scenario.

yes he was. he was going thru a very tough time, i'll leave it at that. i don't really understand why,but i honored his request and closed out the thread. i guess i posted this to show that no matter how well intentioned i thought i was being, i shouldn't have posted his info without his permission.

That's what the Alerts Section at the top is for.

A lot of people seem to over look this smaller sub section by no fault of their own. Perhaps it needs its own header on the forums page? I agree that ebay/CL/etc. ads should not be within the garage sale. I also have not seen or experienced a lot of leniency towards newer members with respect to this. I recall a time when I disagreed with the verbal treatment given to someone within the forum, early on in my joining. I was chastised by a member with 10k+ posts and essentially told to keep my mouth shut until I had more posts. My opinion didn't matter. Or more accurately, my defense of the situation held no value because I was new. Dean, you apparently have a lot of credibility here due to your builds. I can certainly appreciate that as your advice and quality of product seem to be unquestioned. What I don't understand is the seemingly high level of animosity shown (not necessarily by you) towards newer members, by older members. This attitude will never foster growth or inspire ingenuity in anyone. The next generation is right here. In us 20, 100, 500 post count members. Should our ideas be stifled because of criticism by "older" members? Do our opinions carry less weight? Are we less valued as individuals because we found out about this great community later than some of you? No, no, and no. I truly respect and value the opinions of many of the members older (post wise) than myself. But drop the attitude as it is not productive. My two cents. These by no means are fighting words and I hope they aren't taken as such. Simply an observation from a new member who's been beaten down and kicked at times for no apparent reason. Regards, Trevor.

Change can be good.... I have seen many people benefit from adds posted by members on deals they have found. Maybe this wasn't the initial intention of this section but it seems to be evolving into something that helps many and irks few.

I respectfully agree.

As a side note. Does it make sense for a company to "Lock out" newer uninformed members from any portion of their buying/selling platform? Simply because they didn't read/follow the rules? With no disrespect meant; A lot of these newer members are in the 30+ crowd and are the ones spending the money right now. Should we "lock out" those that are at their highest spending capacity at the wishes of those that are nearing the end of "their search for musical gold" and therefore spending less into the economy of "high end audio"? This thinking baffles me. To quote Youthman via Rodney...can't we all just get along?

Was recently reading where the sales was taken out of the 2 channel forum. Seems reasonable and was done. Then the seperation of enthusiasts of one form or another, from members to have with the Garage section. An outgrowth of the alerts seemed natural. Members with *Amy's help got it done. With a forum of our member count, bound to get a wrinkle, or two.

All in all alot of latitude has been this unique experience

• Moderators

There used to be a sticky pinned to the top of this place explaining how it was supposed to be used. It used to be a place where forum members would give other forum members an opportunity to purchase something before it went out to the general public. Now though, In many instances, it is simply being used as another place to list an ad, while other listings run concurrently on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Not sure I see that in the Rules for Posting in this Section thread.

"You
may post a link to your item on sites such as eBay, Audiogon, and
Craigslist, however discussions/disagreements concerning these sites or
any payment site (ie PayPal) are not permitted."

i also would like to know why people think "post count" = intelligence. just because people on here don't make a comment on just about every post doesn't discredit their knowledge or experience. i enjoy coming hear and simply reading responses. with the search function i usually find the answer to a question that has been asked 100 times. it is nice to post a "what if" or "feeler" question to get a good idea on a subject, but i won't take the advice of a guy that has 10k posts over a guy that has 3 posts simply based on that number. i personally believe high posts counts means you like to talk to people on here, not your constantly giving sound advice. (lol). (okay, that was bad).

Trevor, i personally would have put a complaint in and asked for some type of apology. i'm a grown A** man and would not take kindly to such an insult. shame on who ever that was, especially such a "veteran."