K-402/Faital pro 200 on top of Khorn bass bin

The Dude

Duder, interesting. I've been thinking very seriously about building a pair of Dave's Eliptracs diy kit. my mental health should be great after sanding those smooth!

What power sort of power amps are you building? That's a cool thing.

For the power amps, I am thinking about giving the Firstwatt f5 a try. There has been some great reviews on them, plus since there are so many folks building them there are lots of different parts coming available to build them, it just takes some waiting to get your hands on them. I know its a push pull design, which I would like to build the F3 but there aren't pcb's for those and seems to be more support for the f5. I think if I don't like the sound of the F5 with my application, I will continue to go my McIntosh route[:D]

I have been running a pair of Faitals on some K402s for a couple of weeks now and have been using ALK ESNs at 500 Hz and a DBX 1231 EQ. I have been extremely impressed by these drivers on K402 horns. At the opposite end of the room is my full MCM-3 Grand system that employs TAD 4002s on its K402 horns. The Faitals are not quite as clear sounding as the TADs........but they are close, and completely hold their own on high end extension. I have been running them atop a set of DBBs and this 2-way system definitely can hang with the MCM in some regards. I like Faitals a lot.

I will be turning this into an actively crossed and EQ'd system shortly to try that method.

Another point I shouild mention is that I am not using the same electronics on both systems when making these comparisons. I have by far the better electronics on the MCM setup. Therefore, the Faitals may be even better than I am suggesting here.

Bascially, I have been using the TADs and the MCM setup to help me learn and EQ the Faitals on this other pair of K402s that I have. Like I said, I have been very impressed by the Faitals to this point.

• Like 1

I have been running a pair of Faitals on some K402s for a couple of weeks now and have been using ALK ESNs at 500 Hz and a DBX 1231 EQ. I have been extremely impressed by these drivers on K402 horns. At the opposite end of the room is my full MCM-3 Grand system that employs TAD 4002s on its K402 horns. The Faitals are not quite as clear sounding as the TADs........but they are close, and completely hold their own on high end extension. I have been running them atop a set of DBBs and this 2-way system definitely can hang with the MCM in some regards. I like Faitals a lot.

I will be turning this into an actively crossed and EQ'd system shortly to try that method.

Another point I shouild mention is that I am not using the same electronics on both systems when making these comparisons. I have by far the better electronics on the MCM setup. Therefore, the Faitals may be even better than I am suggesting here.

Bascially, I have been using the TADs and the MCM setup to help me learn and EQ the Faitals on this other pair of K402s that I have. Like I said, I have been very impressed by the Faitals to this point.

This is some good info, especially for those that would like to use the Faitals with their Jub setups. I think the biggest issue with using the 402/Faital setup would be the low crossover point, I am sure someone will work this out eventually.

Duder, interesting. I've been thinking very seriously about building a pair of Dave's Eliptracs diy kit. my mental health should be great after sanding those smooth!

What power sort of power amps are you building? That's a cool thing.

For the power amps, I am thinking about giving the Firstwatt f5 a try. There has been some great reviews on them, plus since there are so many folks building them there are lots of different parts coming available to build them, it just takes some waiting to get your hands on them. I know its a push pull design, which I would like to build the F3 but there aren't pcb's for those and seems to be more support for the f5. I think if I don't like the sound of the F5 with my application, I will continue to go my McIntosh routeBig Smile

very cool. hope you'll post your progress and take on the build.

I purchased the Eliptrac 400 in kit form. Not as hard as it looks. It is a nice horn, no honkiness, very even dispersion. People here have used the Faital HF200 as mentioned, the B&C DE85TN, and B&C DE750TN all with excellent results. You can't go wrong with any of these drivers mentioned. Don't worry about wattage ratings or running them down to 400Hz or so. Unless you are setting up a touring rig for Metallica, you won't be putting more than a fraction of a watt or so into these drivers.

I had tried the Radian 950PB, but it didn't carry the high end on this
horn in a two-way configuration. I exchanged it for the B&C DE750TN.

For people with a bit more dinero, ALK also recommends the B&C DCM50.

• 10 months later...

I am going to try out this combo... EV DHA-1 going to the JBL 2360A with the crossover being handled via MiniDSP.

Edited by Ron

The K402 is all about EQ. If you can figure out how to EQ it..........and it could take some time, you will find it to be very rewarding. Almost everyone uses an active crossover with Roy's settings for EQ that he derived in the chamber. Of course if you use an EV dx-38 or DC-One processor, this works wonderfully. But now there are other processor out that some of us use and these need tweking of the settings. Not that hard to do with some patience and measurement equipment. Personally I use Ashly Protea processors and bought 2 I liked them for this application so much.

I have also had excellent success on K402s in a second system (mentioned earlier in this thread) using a 31 band old school graphic analog EQ unit (DBX-1231........I also bought 2 of these they worked so well for this application). It is far easier to get it right with this setup and passive networks. The networks I have used have alsways been ALK ESNs..........but any passive with no EQ would work..........and then use the graphic EQ unit on the tape loop of your preamp. A simple effective and great sounding solution to break someone into the K402 setup.

I might have the chance to purchase a pair of K402 horns(if I can convince my wife). But I all ready have the Faital pro 200 16 ohm version, I was going to mate it with Dave's Eliptrac 400, but if I can work this deal out I would like to see if this would work all right. I know there are a few threads that compare certain drivers with certain horns but I have not found one that compares the K402/Faital pro 200 on top of the Khorn bass bin.

Thanks

Are you talking about a pair of 402s with no drivers? If it turns out that you do not get them, could you let me know? I may be ready for the next step in the evolution of my JubScalas. They started out as La Scalas, became 510 JubScalas, and now they're 510 JubScala IIs. 402 horns are the next logical step.

I might have the chance to purchase a pair of K402 horns(if I can convince my wife). But I all ready have the Faital pro 200 16 ohm version, I was going to mate it with Dave's Eliptrac 400, but if I can work this deal out I would like to see if this would work all right. I know there are a few threads that compare certain drivers with certain horns but I have not found one that compares the K402/Faital pro 200 on top of the Khorn bass bin.

Thanks

Are you talking about a pair of 402s with no drivers? If it turns out that you do not get them, could you let me know? I may be ready for the next step in the evolution of my JubScalas. They started out as La Scalas, became 510 JubScalas, and now they're 510 JubScala IIs. 402 horns are the next logical step.

Davis had a pair a while back, he has sold them since. DJK, convinced me to give the EV hp640 a try, I just need to find another at a good price. But will be trying them with the Faitals on top of the Jamboree bass bin.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

How come you do not remove the hf section of you lsii's?

Three reasons. First, the extra height they give the 510 tweeters gives the sound a bigger presentation, like the musicians are up on a stage, not sitting on chairs in front of you. Second, the speakers look better that way, and those big top sections would take up a lot of space stored anywhere else.

If I ever get 402 horns, I'll consider setting them directly on the bass bins, because they're fairly tall horns, but they might go on top of the LS2 HF sections also.

• Like 1

I bought two recently on eBay for about $70 each.

One may actually be the Gauss version, the glass is much thicker.

I have been watching, there was one not to long shipped for about 75. But go figure once I have money nothing. There are some locally for a decent price it's just getting down there and meeting up with the guy.

What is a Guass version.

Thanks

I know you posted this a year ago, but I remember your argument against my 402 post recently. What made you change your mind?

I bought two recently on eBay for about $70 each.

One may actually be the Gauss version, the glass is much thicker.

I'm lost. If you guys are referring to the Electrovoice HP640 horns, I have a pair of these for sale.

I can give you a good price, but the shipping would be pricey. If you can pick them up, then I can give you a great deal. I am in Connecticut. PM me if you are interested.