Carver A500X ?

billybob

Alright then, no news is good news.

I will let you know how this works out for me, as planning on picking it up this week, The Carver A500X that is,lol.

Thinking that I need to listen critically to a Carver to see what they are about. Wondering what the diff., if any, will be to my speakers with 250 wpc versus the 45 to 70wpc to date, I have fed them.

Alright then, no news is good news.

I will let you know how this works out for me, as planning on picking it up this week, The Carver A500X that is,lol.

Thinking that I need to listen critically to a Carver to see what they are about. Wondering what the diff., if any, will be to my speakers with 250 wpc versus the 45 to 70wpc to date, I have fed them.

Well, you'll barely have to move the volume control! [:P] LOL

But, I bet they sound fuller at lower volumes. The bass will be much better too.

Keep us posted and congratulations on the purchase! [<:o)]

Dennie

I remember when I went from 125 to 250wpc. WOW! [:o]

Even at lower volumes, it sounded fuller. To me, the extra watts seemed to make a real difference. What do they call it.... Headroom! [:P] [Y]

Now, you'll have to be extra careful with the volume control, but I bet you'll notice a difference right away. It took a week or so until I noticed the added detail with lower volumes, probably because I was playing with that "headroom" for a week, but when I sat down in the evening for some "critical listening", the clarity, separation and detail was noticeably improved.

With the 250wpc, I do have a little "hiss" when nothing is playing, but I can over look that with no problem. It may drive some people crazy, but not me. The headroom is worth it. Darn high sensitivity speakers! [;)]

I can't wait to hear your experience and will be looking forward to it.

Dennie

LOL, Yes, I am starting to realize the leap upin wattage when I consider have been looking at 100 -150 watts+ amps.

I see you understand my dilemna & do appreciate the experience to look forward to in a big way.

I can stand a little hiss as long as it is the hiss of awaiting in the wings power overhead.

But I am getting ahead of myself. So, I will be back when I can.

Dang, I'm excited ! Yippee Ki Yay I can now

Thanks! Just spoke with the seller and he is wanting to knock off money on a C26v Carver tuner/preamp. I may go all in.

He is going into attic to get me rack handles he remembered. Guess I will have to hold them to see what they are for.

LOL, Picking up some forteII's oak pair as well, *jweber and I were eyeing. So, be listening to some II's as well along with the forte'.

Well now, Carver hooked up and running with my SAE XXX preamp. First thing is dead quiet versus a minor hum which I had thought was the preamp, but is located with the 50 watt SAE XXXIb amp. Listening now to a song sounding different than with the 50 watter, and trying to dertermine what it is. So far revealing of source material is 1st impression. No bad at all just different.

There are 2 level small rotating knobs on each input to the amp from preamp. I have those basically like they were which is all the way to right stop. Question is does it matter? Or, what am I wanting to level?

Thanks again and I think I will be listening to this amp, to reference material, just to divine if possible what are the differences between the 2 amps.

There are 2 level small rotating knobs on each input to the amp from preamp. I have those basically like they were which is all the way to right stop. Question is does it matter? Or, what am I wanting to level?

...the level controls are on the amp? If so, those are gain controls, and it sounds like you have them maxed. That's fine, provided there is no idle noise coming through your speakers. If you want, you can back those off to get more useful range of the pre-amp's volume control (and improve S/N while your at it, but it sounds like it's pretty quiet as is).

Listening now to a song sounding different than with the 50 watter, and trying to dertermine what it is. So far revealing of source material is 1st impression.

I can get one of my 50 watt amps to clip into fortes, although that's pretty excruciatingly loud. I think you may be going from a situation of occasional transient clipping to one of no clipping whatsoever, and that's exactly where you want to be: transparent and seemingly effortless presentation of your music.

Congratulations billybob! The blackness of the amp floor makes for a very nice HT or music system.

Still trying to sort it out. I like that, yes dark or, as you say blackness works for me too. Going to comare the Carver preamp/tuner

I understand from poster above,*Ski Bum I need to tweak with levels.

It was unreal, almost surrealistic possibly.

There is some method to the madness!?!? Thanks! Need to hookup the forteII but listening to 1's I have listened to for comparison.

Yes it was amazing the silence or blackness, as was said, just now. I think they need tweaking, thanks for the info. Have not had to take my 50 watt amp to those points of clipping cause, as you say, loud and getting louder. I may have a threshold for noise, as suppose others may.

Thanks!

...the level controls are on the amp? If so, those are gain controls, and it sounds like you have them maxed. That's fine, provided there is no idle noise coming through your speakers. If you want, you can back those off to get more useful range of the pre-amp's volume control (and improve S/N while your at it, but it sounds like it's pretty quiet as is).

Listening now to a song sounding different than with the 50 watter, and trying to dertermine what it is. So far revealing of source material is 1st impression.

I can get one of my 50 watt amps to clip into fortes, although that's pretty excruciatingly loud. I think you may be going from a situation of occasional transient clipping to one of no clipping whatsoever, and that's exactly where you want to be: transparent and seemingly effortless presentation of your music.

Billy, I think you're good, so focus on the important things, like figuring out what music to play next.

You don't need to tweak the levels unless there is an audible issue, i.e. idle hiss (doesn't sound like there is any), or if you desire more useful range of your volume control (this is not only practical, but can improve S/N too, although again it doesn't sound like you have any problems), or if you have teenagers and need to idiot-proof your rig.

Update!

Some of that surreal sound was coming from the fact that the mono switch on the back was depressed. Guess I thought Carver sounded holographic,lol. Now I suppose I will have twice the music to get excited over. Back to reference material ...again.

What a hoot! lol

Congrats on your new to you Carver gear.

If you didn't get but want Owners Manuals and Spec. Sheets with your equipment you can download free ones here:

www.thecarversite.com no need to join or anything like that.

There are also threads to change out the meter lights to Blue LED's (or whatever color you like)

Lots of friendly and helpful folks on that site.

Enjoy the gear

Yes, I did not get but wanted to get to the bottom of a mono switch and googled the site again. Very practical and handy way with manuals for the free of taking from.

Thanks, the info got me the location of the mono button. I say button because it became depressed. Very useful. Now I got an actual 2 channel and can listen now, and as another told me, I can relax...for a minute. I should bookmark.

Some green would be cool.

Altamonte Springs near Apoka. When living in New Azalea Park seems remember going to a Rockfest in 69. LOL, maybe it was Rock Springs.

The Carver is ...speechless is all I got right now.