Oh What to Buy??

Charlie Hustle

Greetings Klipschtonians, Been lurking in this forum for quite some time and finally decided to chime in. Looking for a pair of speakers to compliment an already decent size sound system in my living room. As of right now the arsenal comprises of a pair of heresy II's, pair of kg 3.2's , 1 kg 2.5, 1 kg 2, pair of krk rockit 6 monitors and a 10' krk sub. Signal is run out of my DJ mixer to 2 Onkyo receivers in a 2 channel setup. So for everyone who has been counting, that leaves 2 more spots open on the b channel of one of those receivers. I still see some room on my back wall for something too. So here we are, me at the crossroads. Budget of like 600-700 at the most. Saw a nice pair of kg 4.2's for 375 on ebay but that is a lil steep for them in my op. I also thought maybe another pair of heresy's, I really like them alot. Other possibilities could be chorus II's, forte II's or a pair of quartets. Opinions please.

Charlie

• Moderators

Welcome Charlie. My vote would be for either a pair of Chorus II or Forte II. Both can be had within your budget and if you are patient, you can get a pair for well under your budget. I've owned both and both are exeptional speakers for 2ch.

if you really like the heresy's, then you should go for them. i'm assuming since you only want a pair, they are going to be more for music? what do you think about a reference speaker? maybe a RF-3 or the new models (RF-3II,RF-42II, RF-42, RF-15). i think all of those would make a great "mod" speaker, if you are into that. you can tailor the sound in them very easily. or possibly a KLF 20 for a nice 3 way. those come up often and usually on the cheaper side, at least i believe they are with in your budget.

• Moderators

You know what the Heresy is about. I'm not slamming it, just saying there is better bass to be had in the Forte II or Chorus II, and if you haven't heard them yet it would be fun territory to cover.

That was my thought too. Try something different than what you already have.

Try something different than what you already have.

So long as it doesn't say Bose. [:P]

Welcome to the forum!

I'm with everyone else on the Forte, Chorus opinion. I don't see a real need for the II version of those, unless you are dead set on them.

Perhaps with the spare change, you could buy a pair of Bose speakers and use them as wheel chocks in your driveway. [:D]

Charlie . . . Patience, diligent searching locally, and your funds might get you into a pair of budget Cornwalls for new fronts. You could then run one Heresy as a center and one in the rear in 6.1 until you save up again and find single Heresy to add to your configuration, moving the Heresys to side surrounds and then go back to 7.1.

Greetings Klipschtonians, Been lurking in this forum for quite some time and finally decided to chime in. Looking for a pair of speakers to compliment an already decent size sound system in my living room. As of right now the arsenal comprises of a pair of heresy II's, pair of kg 3.2's , 1 kg 2.5, 1 kg 2, pair of krk rockit 6 monitors and a 10' krk sub. Signal is run out of my DJ mixer to 2 Onkyo receivers in a 2 channel setup. So for everyone who has been counting, that leaves 2 more spots open on the b channel of one of those receivers. I still see some room on my back wall for something too. So here we are, me at the crossroads. Budget of like 600-700 at the most. Saw a nice pair of kg 4.2's for 375 on ebay but that is a lil steep for them in my op. I also thought maybe another pair of heresy's, I really like them alot. Other possibilities could be chorus II's, forte II's or a pair of quartets. Opinions please. Charlie

I don't have any good advise right now. However, I do like your term Klipschtonians, sounds lofty. I like it...

Thank you everyone for the input, we shall see what comes on the radar first... I am leaning towards the chorus, the would look nice next to the record rack. One on each side.

@ Inventor, I have never modded a speaker before... one of these days maybe. As for the RF versions I am not sure I have ever heard a pair.

@ Mustang guy, I can guarantee it wont be a pair of bose.... It doesn't matter if it is a chorus I or II model, I say a chorus II only because it's a newer model and figure i might find em in better shape.

@ Rhetor, Cornwalls would be even more epic then the chorus', so if I get that lucky then so be it. I prefer the two channel setup in all honesty. Never really liked surround sound as a feature but I have always loved it with many speakers and placement.

Think that covers everything

Charlie

I would get a pair of Forte speakers and put in all the Crites upgrades. My son has them and I'm surprised by their excellent sound. The Forte lls are getting too expensive lately. You can still find a bargain on the Fortes. Just me 2 cents.

Pictures of the current setup for all of you curious people.

Posted Image

The Setup..... from bottom left to right: Klipsch heresy II on a stand, behind the tv is an 10" infinity sub with kg 2 and kg 2.5, kg 3.2 next to tv stand, on the speaker stand heresy II and krk rockit 6, next to dj stand is krk 10" woofer, on the speaker stand is another krk rockit 6, far right wall is a polk audio 8" sub and kg 3.2. The keyboard you see is a Roland fantom 76 key and the guitar is an electric acoustic Ibanez with ernie ball nylon strings. Also of note there is the 2 technics 1200 mk II turntables with ecler hak 360 mixer, roland vs-880 digital workstation, apple g5 desktop with m-audio firewire 610 soundcard (wired for midi control), compaq desktop computer with creative soundcard, and a JVC cd player. If I left anything out it's probably because it wasn't all that important. When I took this picture i was standing in the far corner of the room, I think the rooms dimensions are 27 feet length and 19 feet width.

Posted Image

The "Back Wall" that is in question. A speaker on each side of the rack would be really nice.

Charlie

CORNWALL II'S !!! Just found a really good deal on on Flea-bay and pulled the trigger. $895 for a set that appears to be in really nice shape, I wasn't gonna go this route but the deal was too good to pass up. Good for me ...bad for my neighbors. I pick em up this evening and I will let you all know how it turns out.

Charlie