I Need Your Advice!

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

I'm really into playing drums, and finally got my own set, and it's a big one. I love playing along with CDs of Pink Floyd, ELO, Alan Parsons Project, etc. However, as much as I love them, my Fried speakers just can't keep up with the thunderous boom and massive crash of drums. I have Ludwig Vistalite drums, which are known to be louder than the average drum (as if they aren't loud enough already..lol). I use 15db reduction earplugs, so that should give an idea of relative volume.

I'm looking for speakers that can comfortably accompany my drums at high volumes. Naturally, I thought of Klipsch, remembering how well my Cornwalls rocked out with a mere 100 watt amp. Nothing like efficiency! So here's my question: What speakers would you guys recommend to play at HIGH volumes (around 105 db or so) without strain, and have the clarity to cut through acrylic drums and massive vintage cymbals? Cornwalls again? Any other recommendations?

I had La Scalas once before, I think they were from around 2000. However, to be honest, I liked the Cornwalls more, I thought the midrange was less aggressive, and the bass was fuller. However, in this case, I'm really looking for whatever will punch through the best, as these will be used almost exclusively for high volume rock and roll with drums. My room is only about 18 x 18 with a 10 foot ceiling, so as you can imagine, the drums do a good job of filling the space.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

-Jon

post-6873-13819831429712_thumb.jpg

So here's my question: What speakers would you guys recommend to play at HIGH volumes (around 105 db or so) without strain, and have the clarity to cut through acrylic drums and massive vintage cymbals?

Alternatives should include speakers that have a large woofer or horn-loaded bass bin that can reproduce LF down to ~30 Hz or below. Some thoughts:

1) Cornwalls - used CW-Is or CW-IIs would be cost effective, $600-$900(US)

2) Khorns - they will reproduce everything and at very high volume, cleanly. You can get a beater pair for ~$1K(US), or $1.5-$2K(US) for a nicer pair. They require good corners or fair-size false corners, but the sound is CLEAN.

3) Jubilees - these will handle anything that you want to throw at them - just place each of them within 18 inches of a corner, or alternatively you can build extensions like the Khorn false corners, but to extend the bass bin mouth a bit, cost ~$8K including active crossover (used EV Dx38 or DC-One, or Yamaha SP2060). You might find used ones for less, but they are rare. You'll need four amplifier channels (biamped). This would be the most impressive sounding system by far of the alternatives listed thus far (...but see the next alternative).

4) K-402 horns/1133 drivers + B&C tweeters + custom bass bins (i.e., Claude's setup that is currently for sale) - these would blow away CWs and probably give the Jubs a run for the money, ~$1.3K + his TH subwoofer. Recommended approach.

Chris

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great advice. Well, I can cross Jubilees right off the list, as the budget will never support spending $8,000 on a pair of speakers. I've never had a set of K-horns, so I would be intrigued to try something different. Claude's setup looks awesome, if a bit big for my small digs. Plus, I have a feeling it will sell before I'm able to get the money together. I'm hoping to combine tax refund money with money from selling a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb guitar amp (real nice) to be able to buy my next speakers. Can anyone comment on what a setup like Claude's would sound like in my size room?

-Jon

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I do have a subwoofer. You can see it next to the Fried speaker in the picture. It's a 4x12" tower from a set of Infinity IRS Betas. It's fed by a Crest Pro amp in 4 ohm bridged mode for 650 watts. So, bass isn't an issue.

I was in an audio store listening to some klipsch speakers and the salesman told me a story about a proffessional drummer that he know that would only use klipsch heresys, nothing else would do for him. Since you have a sub, this might be an option too. the heresy has a liveliness to it and mid bass punch that I love.

a proffessional drummer that he know that would only use klipsch heresys, nothing else would do for him. Since you have a sub, this might be an option too. the heresy has a liveliness to it and mid bass punch that I love.

I will have to agree. Even though the Heresys/Heresy II's don't extend too low, the mid bass punch and accuracy is about 2nd to none, IMO. With a quality subwoofer properly integrated with them, tough to beat.

Bill

I've been doing some searching online, and I'm shocked how expensive Klipsch speakers have become! I bought my LaScalas just a few years ago for $650, and sold them for $500. While they weren't perfect cosmetically, they were far from hideous. Now, I can't find a single pair under $1000, no matter how ugly, and most are $1500 and above. K-horns cost more than I paid for my last car. What gives? At this rate, I'll never have Heritage.

-Jon

I've been doing some searching online, and I'm shocked how expensive Klipsch speakers have become! I bought my LaScalas just a few years ago for $650, and sold them for $500. While they weren't perfect cosmetically, they were far from hideous. Now, I can't find a single pair under $1000, no matter how ugly, and most are $1500 and above. K-horns cost more than I paid for my last car. What gives? At this rate, I'll never have Heritage.

-Jon

yes they are pricey to say the least but if you are patient you will find something in your price range it took me a year but I finally found a pair of 1988 horns 150 miles from the house for what they are asking for the nicer lascalas

Patience, just be patient and keep an eye out. Your system will turn up. Found a couple I was not looking for, and some more that for one reason or another I just can't have........Yet.

............Now have enough to get me shot by the wife, and enough to get calls from the neighbors. Wait until summer when I can play the shop speakers for the neighbor up the hill,, [:D] ..............Taz

• 9 months later...