KG3's vs Heresy II's

ninanina

I'm new here [:D]

I currently have a pair of Klipsch KG3's in a lovely oak finish. They are being fed by an Audio Note Oto SE, of about 8w

I am considering upgrading to a pair of Heresy II's

Can anyone that knows both speakers tell me what I should expect the improvement to be using the Heresy's?

Thanks all for any help

[Y]

ninanina,

welcome to the forum. You are already listening to a good sounding system. It's no slouch at all. It should drive the Heresy II's quite nicely.

you are already hearing deeper bass in the KG3's than you will hear in the Heresy II's. That's the nature of the Heresy and the limitations of that woofer in that cab. The cab volume is less than optimal for that woofer. Just laws of physics there.

That said, to my ears the Heresy II's sound better. The sound will be more detailed and articulate. The bass will be more controlled. You may well hear sounds in recordings that you have not noticed before. That always brings a smile to my face.

If you have the flexibility to listen to both in your room, that would be great fun to compare and contrast. Be sure to play some reference selections that you know very well.

Enjoy.

Thanks Daddy Dee

The only thing that worries me slightly is that I think I remember the Heresy to be slightly harsh sounding and these KG3's are anything but harsh, but that might be down to a bad memory!! [;)]

I don't mind if the Heresy's don't do bass exceptionally well as thats not a big concern of mine

Heresys can sound harsh. Once they are 20-25 years old they could do with fresh crossover capacitors. It's not an emergency sort of thing, just something to keep in mind down the road. In fact, listening to them for a season would allow you to appreciate the difference of fresh caps. Good news is that replacing caps is not an expensive proposition and will essentially restore the speakers to factory spec. ....and they sounded really good when they left the factory.

Also part of the nature of the Heresy and other Heritage speakers is that they are very revealing. There are times when a given CD would sound OK on the KG3s and the sound on the Heresy would be not so good.

The same would be true as to revealing flaws in the amplifier, but that should not be an issue in your system.

Hi Bill

Are you saying that the midrange is better through the Heresy than the KG3's? because I already find the KG pretty good in this area. I think the midrange is THE most important area for all speakers, if that is not right the whole thing falls to bits i believe

Hi Bill

Are you saying that the midrange is better through the Heresey than the KG3's? because I already find the KG pretty good in this area. I think the midrange is THE most important area for all speakers, if that is not right the whole thing falls to bits i believe

The KG-3 is only a 2-way speaker with no midrange horn. The Heresy is a 3-way speaker with a midrange horn. [;)]

Jubilees are two way. What's your point?

I have never heard Jubilees. I'm sure they sound awesome (what Klipsch speaker doesn't?). I have always prefered the sound of 3-way speakers. Hence, that's why I love the sound of Heritage speakers.

Whenever I play music through 2 way Klipsch and the older traditional 3 ways, I hear more midrange...I like the kg line, I own the kg line (had kg4s that my nephew now owns)...but for me...Heresys, Quartets, Chorus IIs, Klipschorns (from my experience) has a sound I prefer...

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went for it and now own a pair of Heresy II's

You are correct Daddy Dee they are far more detailed and articulate. I would also describe them as 'fast' if that makes sense

I think they have a touch less bass than the KG3's but the bass is very taut. The midrange is so much better though

They seem to really like the AN Oto se and it's 8watts seems to drive them with ease

So far so good, I'm impressed [:D] [:D]