what would you say?

I was in the lunch room at work the other day. Several guys at another table were talking about a speaker system this guy had bought. He is kind of arogant and was saying he set it up in his room and it was 1200 watts. He was sayin how it would blow people away. One guy knew I had a theater room people had bragged on before and asked me how many watts it was. How would you answer this? I said 130 a channel and everyon looked at the guy with the 1200 watt system and said wow. I have an Integra 70.2 which is 130 watts x7. I also have 3 lascalas and 4 heresys in the rear. I have an ib sub with 4 ib3 18's. As you guys know watts mean nothing in a Klipsch system. The other guy had a bose acoustimass system.

I didn't think Bose would even tell anybody any specs. No way it has 1200 anything.

1200 dollars maybe.

What I did when I used to have my battery powered(!) Sonic Impact T-amp was have people over, play some music and then say "Do you realize that these speakers are being powered by a handful of AA batteries?" When they wouldn't believe me I'd show them the amp with the speaker wires connected.

You could always say "I don't have watts, I have decibels. Lots of them. Lots of clean decibels."

You could always simply state how many watts it takes just one of your speakers to have an output of 100 dB. .5 to 4 watts is typical of most Klipsch floorstanders.

Lay down an offer to him....

He can take his 1200 watt system and put it up against your 130 watt system and the winner gets to kick the losers woofers in.

Of course, you have two advantages...

1. Your system will kick the others hiney

2. Should you not prevail (maybe he's got some Klipsch MWM's), your woofers are still protected.

[:D]

My primary profession was being an alarm installer.With that being said our boss decided to become a Bose distributor w/ selling the 3 room amps and the Lifestyle 30 and 50 systems.You are quite right about Bose not giving out specs.Even to us when they came to demonstrate on how to install the gear they refused to say what the individual systems put out. Even in the technical installers sheets was any info like that given. For the new home owner who has $ and 0 expertise in audio fell into the add hipe of Bose big time. Their hi-hat ceiling speakers were not that bad but some were only proprietary w/ their amps and then they finally came out w/ speakers that you could use w/ your own stuff if you wanted to.Again on 1st blush it wasn't all that terrible but woefully overpriced and certainly not audiophile anything.

I ask, "Have you ever been to Summer Fest?"

..most people around this locale can relate and say, "Yeah?"

To which I quickly report, "Well my system can do Summer Fest, in my living room."

I've all but given up trying to explain it using numbers or audio buzz-words.[|-)]

...bored afternoon in endless rehearsals so I counted anyway, here's what I have all this week;

30 x Crown IT1200 at 4,500 WPC stereo and 42 L'Acoustics LA-8s at 1,800 WPC, 4 channels. All running at 4 ohms, powered by 3 phase A/C capable of 500 amps per leg.

I make that a total of 572,400 watts total? Add in another 12 Crown 36x12s in monitor land if you like.

Tell your lunch room guy to go spread that on his sandwich.

Other threads have described my restoration of La Scalas for the local high school's band practice room. As a high schoool student was assisting me in getting one of the speakers onto the instrument locker he asked enthusiastically, "how many watts does it have?"

I replied, "Speakers don't have watts, amplifiers have watts, while these speakers can handle hundreds of watts, they need only one watt to play at 100db." I went on to explain that the H/K 730 receiver being used put out approximately 40 watts/channel. The instructor then decided to test whether the music could be heard throughout the school. He put on the Beatles' Back In The USSR at about 100db.

The kid was duly impressed. It sounded like a jet plane was landing in the room. The music in the ground level band room could be heard in the far corners of the 3 story building.

While Bose will not publish efficiency numbers, a magazine I once saw stated that it took an average of 22.5 watts into a Bose 901 to produce the same SPL as 1 watt does into a Klipschorn. I know that the Bose 901 is a different animal than that guy's Boses, but ... since La Scalas are the same efficiency as Klipschorns (at least above about 50 Hz), that would mean that 100 watts into a La Scala would equal about 2,250 watts into a Bose 901.