what would you say?

hell walmart has getto blasters that claim 1000 watts, we"ve had this discussion a time or two here, the true watt days are over, knowbody tells the truth anymore,

One way to look at it would be that the true watt days never were
... as "days," that is. During the early days of my involvement in
audio, McIntosh and a very few other amplifier companies may have told
the truth*, while several others stretched it. That was in the very late '50s and the '60s. Then, in the '70s, the Big
Lie came in. A two-channel amp with 60 watts RMS per channel became a
120 watt amplifier, and in what seemed like a very few weeks later was
advertised as a much more powerful amp, using its peak wattage at
1K and a made-up term called "Music Power." After someone (the FTC?)
kicked their asses, they dropped much of the [bs], only to sneak back
into deceptive practices in the last few decades with the advent of Car
Stereo, blasters, and Home Theatre.

I have faith that companies like McIntosh, Luxman, Parasound, etc. will use the terminology conservatively.

Amplifiers aside, anyone who talks about a "__ watt speaker," is either duped, or a duper.

*What
is truth? RMS, all channels operating, 20 to 20K Hz, into a nominal
impedance of 8 Ohms for each channel, at the rated distortion? Maybe.
Then we find out that RMS when applied to watts of power is a sort of
inappropriate terminology. Oh well.

I would say "hey that is a nice system"!

On the other hand, if he said he was thinking about buying a bose system with yada yada watts for yada yada bucks, I would give his some suggestions on how he could do better.

Bottom line, if the poor guy threw all that money down on a piece of junk yet he is still happy, why say something negative at all. Let him keep thinking he has the best. What difference does it really make?

I would say "hey that is a nice system"!

On the other hand, if he said he was thinking about buying a bose system with yada yada watts for yada yada bucks, I would give his some suggestions on how he could do better.

Bottom line, if the poor guy threw all that money down on a piece of junk yet he is still happy, why say something negative at all. Let him keep thinking he has the best. What difference does it really make?

Good answer, the same one that I was going to offer.

I would like to think I would just smile and go on.......but I may not [:@] If it were the people I work with(they know me well) they would probably tell him you should hear Bills set up. Even in my set ups poorest state in many years it would whoop any Acoustimess.

I've found that trying to explain the difference between 105W/dB and 90W/dB, or "This speaker plays really loud with very few watts." just doesn't compute for lots of folks. It's like they think you're trying to tell them you've discovered a way to bend the laws of physics.

Sometimes it helps to play La Grange at 110dB. People notice the lack of strain or distortion as much as the volume. Then they get it.

• 2 months later...

Lunch room guy, My system has 1200 watts.

ME, Wow thats awesome, yea I just did a 3000 hour liquid plasma change on my plasma TV looks great now!

Lunch room guy, OK, my break is over. Nice talking with you.

ME, back to enjoying my lunch.

WUZZER said it hide that t-amp behind your speakers or Cornwalls in my case and let em guess.

In the summer I take mine out in the yard to play off the AA powered T-amp and the neighbors still call the cops for loud music.

And yes the cops get a kick out of the irony but still ask me to turn it down.