Friend needs a Klipsch Makeover

Youthman

I like the RB-5 / RC-7 combo. His sub is more than capable of handling the lows.

I'm thinking somewhere in the $600-800 range should be doable for all three, if he's willing to be patient. Although for all three I've seen as high as $1100-1200. Obviously it depends on his feelings towards minty vs ding'ed up with respect to the price range, and then of course his patience.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I personally don't think three RC-64's would be ideal, for budget nor for sound.

As mentioned, I believe he originally had the Paradigm SE Signature Edition bookshelves but the dealer "upgraded" him to the larger Energy Floorstanding speakers because my friend was expecting to get floorstanding speakers.

As mentioned, I believe he originally had the Paradigm SE Signature Edition bookshelves but the dealer "upgraded" him to the larger Energy Floorstanding speakers because my friend was expecting to get floorstanding speakers.

Edit: I actually clicked on the link you provided in the first post and now I see what Paradigm speakers he had so now I'm no longer confused. I kept thinking he previously had Signature bookshelves which cost about 2k a pair and I couldn't figure out why he got switched to the bottom of the line Energy speakers and why there is any talk of a budget issue lol. I kept thinking, man if he is spending 2k for a pair of bookshelves, anything you suggest from Klipsch will be fine! It's cleared up now, my fault for blowing thru the thread and skipping the links!

• Moderators

I must have missed you mention that he had the Paradigm Signature speakers, I browsed thru the thread pretty quick.

Easy to miss, I typed a NOVEL. LOL

That company seems real shady if they "upgraded" him to the bottom of the line Energy towers from Paradigm Signature speakers lol.

I'm not familiar with what Paradigm or Energy has to offer. Just from the looks, the Paradigm SE Center looks much more "high end" than his Energy CF-30's. Maybe the company was just trying to stay afloat in the economy. I'm guessing they didn't give him a refund on the difference though.

he probably has or can come up with the budget to buy whatever you want to throw at him from Klipsch.

Can and Want are two different things. He has a beautiful home, a beautiful setup but he probably spent WAY more than he should have on the HT install. When I first found out he was building one, I went over to his home to check it out and he had already contracted with this A/V Company or I could have helped him with the electronics side of it. Hindsight 20/20.

• Moderators

Thanks for all the help and great advice guys. I've decided to purchase a pair of RB-75's from a forum member. Now to find an RC-7. Lemme know if you see any good deals. I don't think the color matters as he will likely be adding fabric to cover the top center section of his entertainment center (WAF).

What he needs to do is get rid of that giant entertainment center =^P As nice as it is, it seems that everything about it is counter-productive to being able to achieve good sound. I'm sure that whatever you hook him up with will end up better. Sounds like the A/V company took him for a bit of a ride unfortunately...

Sounds like you are on the right path, and could sell his current l/c/r to off set the cost of the new. I think some folks get home theater and entertainment rooms mixed up, for instance Youthman has a dedicated home theater room, I will have a entertainment room that will have a very nice home theater feel to it. Sounds like entertaining his boys was the main concern and after the fact didn't get that wow factor he was looking for for sound(which to all of us is top priority). I think the entertainment center is very nice and can be worked with finding the right speakers. Now you have to convince him to add the drop down projector and some sound panels and he will be set[;)].

• Moderators

What he needs to do is get rid of that giant entertainment center

Easy for you to say. I don't know how much he spent on it but this is a custom entertainment center with sliding media storage and made from real wood and is 20' wide and 10' tall. And it's exactly what the wife wanted so I'm absolutely sure, it's here to stay. LOL

As nice as it is, it seems that everything about it is counter-productive to being able to achieve good sound.

I see the same thing with his as I do with my own false wall. Carpenters and cabinet makers know little if anything about acoustics. Their job is to make it functional and appealing. They have no clue about how it will effect sound.

I'm sure that whatever you hook him up with will end up better.

After hearing the Energy speakers for only a few seconds, I'm extremely confident that almost any Klipsch setup will be an upgrade and the RB-75 / RC-7 combo will be a huge upgrade, especially since I will be mounting the center above the TV angled downward with the tweeter aimed at his ears, not his ankles.

Sounds like the A/V company took him for a bit of a ride unfortunately...

I don't think so. I've seen the invoice, they didn't rip him off. They charged retail pricing and put in very quality components. They spent more on the Crestron remote and control box than they did on the Front and Center speakers combined. [:^)] That one has me scratching my head. I would think a Harmony One for $150 would do everything he needs to do in his room.

In talking with my friend, there were 3 components. Interior Designer, Cabinet Builder and A/V Installation company. Just not sure how much they met to make sure they all were on the same page.

Sounds like you are on the right path, and
could sell his current l/c/r to off set the cost of the new.

I
just listed the Energy on CL for $450. They are still current models
and sell for $650 a pair. I will likely sell the Paradigm on Ebay after
I get an opportunity to hook it up in my system to see how it sounds. I
imagine even though it looks very nice, the RC-7 will kill it.

Sounds like entertaining his boys was the main concern
and after the fact didn't get that wow factor he was looking for for
sound(which to all of us is top priority).

You are spot
on. He has a blast with his young boys playing Black Ops but just
really wants more from the sound during movies.

Now you have to convince him to add the drop down projector and some sound panels and he will be setWink.

Oh
wow, haven't even thought of that. LOL....one step at a time. Let's
get his sound rockin first but definitely something worth considering.

Easy for you to say. I don't know how much he spent on it but this is a custom entertainment center with sliding media storage and made from real wood and is 20' wide and 10' tall. And it's exactly what the wife wanted so I'm absolutely sure, it's here to stay. LOL

Ha, I said that mostly jokingly anyways. It would probably be near impossible to move.

• Moderators

Yeah, I don't think you could move it if you wanted to. It fits flush with the right wall and right up to an exterior door leading to the 3 car garage. It is what it is and that's what I have to work with. Just going to do the best I can with what I have.

Youth I can chime in about the speakers being higher up and pointed down. Ever sinc3e we discussed mine placed just above the theater screen and aimed down towards the listening area I have had a lot of time listening to films this way lately. The 3 THX KL-650s sound better this way than dead center of the wall of my old 83s. My speakers mounted above and aimed down at the listening area sound incredibly better than the way my other set up did. Id suggest going with 3 speakers like you said above the lcd TVs. Herseys would sound great.

• Moderators

Thx Michael. I'm in the process of purchasing a pair of RB-75's. The more I thought about it, Heresy's turned sideways probably would not work that well.

A forum member has them boxed up, just waiting on shipping cost so I can send paypal payment.

Thanks for all the help and great advice guys. I've decided to purchase a pair of RB-75's from a forum member. Now to find an RC-7. Lemme know if you see any good deals. I don't think the color matters as he will likely be adding fabric to cover the top center section of his entertainment center (WAF).

I don't know what prices on these usually run...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/3685330466.html

Not affiliated with the seller.

Bruce

Youth I can chime in about the speakers being higher up and pointed down. Ever sinc3e we discussed mine placed just above the theater screen and aimed down towards the listening area I have had a lot of time listening to films this way lately. The 3 THX KL-650s sound better this way than dead center of the wall of my old 83s. My speakers mounted above and aimed down at the listening area sound incredibly better than the way my other set up did. Id suggest going with 3 speakers like you said above the lcd TVs. Herseys would sound great.

maybe this has more to do with your room shape. dont you have angled ceilings due to your room being upstairs?

Yes scrappy only partially. It is a flat ceiling but there is a small portion that is angled on just the main wall about 2 feet of sheet rock. The ceiling are ten foo so about 8 up it has a 45 degree incline for about 2up to the flat 10. I think that speakers above the listening position would work well for his room though. if they are angled down at the listener and towards the center sweet spot should sound great. Now that my ceilings black with the lights off you cant even see the speakers anymore since theyre mounted on it. RB-75s should be great. Hope he likes the change from paradigm to Klipsch. Scrappy did you end up getting your THX system?