Google gone, switched to Bing -

oscarsear

The Internet service Bing has been running advertisements contrasting their product with Google, and they sounded intriguing. I'd switched to Google from Yahoo quite sometime ago and had just become comfortable with its formats. Then yesterday when I fired up the internet and expected the Google home page to have little chicks or kids or something Easter like they had a drawing of Caser Chavez instead. I'm no religious zealot. The last time I was in a church was the last time I got married. But I am so very tired of systems working to subtlety manipulate and sway opinions and traditions that Google decision did anger me. It was an insult to my childhood. Cesar Chavez would have been insulted. So, yesterday I explored Bing, to see how well it worked. And Bing works pretty darn good and factually even better than Google. So buh-by Google.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In before the lock.

Lock, ? I hope everything does not require a lock now? It's just a choice of two search ( or whatever is the flavor of the day) engines and why we would choose one over the other. Rock On..........

Somebody tell me of a search service where the home website of the brand typed in comes up first instead of Amazon and Ebay, and when you run "Schnitger organs" you don't get a "looking for Schnitger organ? bizrate.com" I'll get excited.

Even Adobe installs malware by default these days. I consider ANYTHING malware I have not asked for. I don't mind them providing touts and empty check boxes, but when it comes unasked for it's crooked.

Obviously many feel otherwise about this, but that's my story and I'm stickn' to it.

Dave

In before the lock.

Lock, ? I hope everything does not require a lock now? It's just a choice of two search ( or whatever is the flavor of the day) engines and why we would choose one over the other. Rock On..........

Yes it is. Only the trigger for it touches the classic lock/delete format. Did you read the link I posted? Google has not had an easter theme since 2000. So it took you and others 12 years to notice this only because by calendar inevitability a civil rights leader's birthday coincided with a holy day. I wonder if you and others have the same reaction whenever MLK Jr. is mentioned somewhere? Even George Wallace admitted he was wrong. Even a conservative Catholic outlet had no real problem with it. I have the utmost devoutness for Lent and the culminating celebration of Easter. I actually observe many of these traditions most here probably do not. But it's personal. I don't care if a corporation pays heed to it or not. If you only want to do business with businesses who believe or have the same opinions as you do then you won't be doing much business anyway. Yes, it is a marketplace choice to choose as you wish. That is what makes us strong. Cesar Chavez exercised his constitutional rights to help the downtrodden. So did MLK Jr. That is also what makes us strong. Rock on.......

Somebody tell me of a search service where the home website of the brand typed in comes up first instead of Amazon and Ebay, and when you run "Schnitger organs" you don't get a "looking for Schnitger organ? bizrate.com" I'll get excited......

May not be the search service. Just googled and binged "Schnitger organ". No blinking ads or bizrate stuff at all on either. As usual, the first hit was wikipedia on both. Last year, something infected my computer and all the searches would be redirected to bizrate or some such place or the search would show what seemed like legitimate links that would redirect to bizrate etc if you clicked. Took alot of effort to wipe that one out.

re the OP: I'm just guessing that Jesus would forgive Google.

I never paid much attention to Google doodles. But I checked and Oldtimer is quite correct. Google has not acknowledged Easter with a doodle since 2000. Yet on those many Easter dates Google did not offer up any doodles at all. If you check you'll find that Google was pretty holiday traditional with its doodles in the year 2000 and since then has trended towards more generic religious holiday doodle presentations in general. And they did no doodles at all on those Easters. I'd wager that somebody with that generic mindset simply misgauged how Cesar would be accepted in lieu of something Easter-like when both days coincided (the 31st is Chavezs' birthday and is officially Cesar Chavez Day). Google does not offer a daily doodle. They're sort of special. Doodles showed up whimsically and are fairly creatively entertaining. I knew Sunday was Easter and 5 A.M. I fire up the computer there was a Google doodle..... and it was not at all Easter themed. For the 1st time ever I clicked on the doodle and got the Google explanation that they opted out of any Easter theme intentionally. It was not that I disrespected Cesar Chavez it was that I felt Google disrespected every kids Easter Egg hunt. I suppose if they did nothing at all I'd still use them. But to be quite honest Bing is better. And to be even more honest, if Google wants to serve up public art related to public occasions downplaying and ignoring Christian holidays as doodle worthy is pretty poor public relations. If you're the director of marketing you do not alienate any major demographic for ANY reason. Google walked a fine line until Sunday and then it fell off the rope for the wrong reasons.

Excellent post. But would an Easter theme offend Jewish demographics? Are they not major enough to bother with? I'm not really arguing just looking for a little perspective.

Maybe Bing will wish us Merry Christmas this year, instead of Google's Happy Holidays...

Maybe. But does it matter? Corporations are soulless entities focused on profit. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There is a religion which focuses on fundamentalism to the exclusion of everyone else. Should we be like them?

Maybe. But does it matter? Corporations are soulless entities focused on profit. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There is a religion which focuses on fundamentalism to the exclusion of everyone else. Should we be like them?

It would matter to some, which was my point...

I know I get a little tired of nervous people worrying for my soul, so I am not irked at all that a corporation isn't pushing the Easter Bunny.

As far as Chavez, I don't know much about him, but apparently he was someone worthy of remembrance. I'd take a reminder of someone proven to have existed than the Easter Bunny. Though, I have to say, if I had kids, I'd certainly let them get all excited about an egg-laying rabbit and play the little kid game with them. I have no disdain for something as innocent as a cute, little egg-laying rabbit that brings joy to kids' hearts. As an adult, having come to learn there is no tooth fairy, it doesn't disappoint me, personally, that I didn't wake up to find there was no Easter Bunny on Google's home page.

... in before the lock! [Y]