brand new here, and to the klipsch world

hello all, and thnx for having me. i just aquired a set of k horns. i have a 094 stamped into the back of each speaker. would this be the year they were built? if not, how can i tell when they were made? i have wanted a set of these for nearly 25 years, and just finally got them. any ideas as to a fair going price on what they,re worth nowadays? they,re condition is about a 6-7 out of 10. thnx in advance, colin oates

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Colin, welcome aboard and congrats on those K"s, you went right for top there. I have seen em go from 1K to 3K depending on condition, age, etc, etc. I"m sure someone will chime in shortly and tell you what those numbers mean, what amp are you gonna push em with ? Roost

i,ve been looking at a bryston 4b. i think that should cut it

Well, it will make sound for sure.......Have you heard it on Khorns ever? Ever compared a bryston to a Good Tube Amp?

If not, you might want to auditon some Amps on Khorns in your area. People on this forum readily give auditions of their gear. Where are you located?

Welcome Colin, wow started with K-Horns wish I would have done that. Hope you have been reading the forum if not you got a lot of reading ahead of you. But all of us here will help I'm sure. I think there is a bigger serial number on the back of those, maybe stamped into the wood if not on the tag. Rick ... p.s. how do you join on April 2 and its April 1st do you have a time machine your not telling us about.. something fishy here Colin.. oh I forgot April fools day...lol

Congratulations on joining this forum and the khorns I to am new here think you will find there are a lot of friendly people here full of great insight and willing to share it I also just got a pair of k horns I would agree with cut throat tube amps sound very nice on heritage klipsch the basecabinet and the top may have a paper tag in them you can go to b& k sound on bobs home page he has a listing of the manufacturing date codes

unfortuneately my tags are not there. all i have is a 094 stamped into the top of the back vertical panel. i looked at the crites page but came up empty handed. i know they are older than a set of 86,s on here for sale in rhodeisland, as my tops have the older more 2 piece look. all help is welcomed. thnx, colin

unfortuneately my tags are not there. all i have is a 094 stamped into the top of the back vertical panel. i looked at the crites page but came up empty handed. i know they are older than a set of 86,s on here for sale in rhodeisland, as my tops have the older more 2 piece look. all help is welcomed. thnx, colin

Different types of Klipschorn speakers (B,C) were built at the same time, but with different looks as you describe (collar/no collar).

Can you tell what type of crossover you have? That would help date them, as would different types of mid-drivers, or round vs square magnets.

Pictures might help, too.

sadly, yes it is the same room. as i hold my head down, all i can say is that, in my 14x21 room, the ultimate speakers sound like pure crap. i really dont think its the speakers. its my room. i just bought the house, so moving is out of the question. its very saddening, that i,ve wanted a pair of these for so long, and hearing them in my room for about 3 minutes is enough to want to part with them.

i just aquired a set of k horns. i have wanted a set of these for nearly 25 years, and just finally got them. any ideas as to a fair going price on what they,re worth nowadays? they,re condition is about a 6-7 out of 10. thnx in advance, colin oates

I see you edited the "5100 original price" from Kijijji ad. Seems like your taking one hell of a financial hit on these "just aquired a set of k horns".

Sorry to hear you don't have the proper room for these beauties and must be frustrating to take a 3300 dollar hit just to test these out after longing for them for 25 yrs.

sadly, yes it is the same room. as i hold my head down, all i can say is that, in my 14x21 room, the ultimate speakers sound like pure crap. i really dont think its the speakers. its my room. i just bought the house, so moving is out of the question. its very saddening, that i,ve wanted a pair of these for so long, and hearing them in my room for about 3 minutes is enough to want to part with them.

You probably aren't seated where you need to be if that furniture is right in front of the speaker. The wheels on the bottom of the speakers need to go. They are just making your lack of good corners worse.

If you have two good corners, not with a door as part of the corner, you sit center away from the speakers, you would be in much better shape. Khorns don't gel and become cohesive unless they have good corners and you are seated at least 10-12feet from the speakers.