brand new here, and to the klipsch world

Or he just came in to phish for a selling price......he did edit the OP from kijjiji pretty quickly after I posted it here........just sayin......if I'm wrong my apologies....just seems odd he would come in happy he purchased a 25 yr dream of having Khorns, then 1 day later post them up for sale after getting info on them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy i bought them off of had told me these were $5100. new. i removed that after seeing what they actually did cost new. i dont like to misslead anybody. i asked what they are worth to see if i over payed the $900. i dished out for them.. if you lived in sudbury, you would know that you have to ask double of what you actually want for something (just incase your next comment is all about making proffit) i dont know what i,ve done to you, thats got your claws out, but i,ll make sure i run any of my furure kijiji ads through you first.

i just aquired a set of k horns. i have wanted a set of these for nearly 25 years, and just finally got them. any ideas as to a fair going price on what they,re worth nowadays? they,re condition is about a 6-7 out of 10. thnx in advance, colin oates

I see you edited the "5100 original price" from Kijijji ad. Seems like your taking one hell of a financial hit on these "just aquired a set of k horns".

Sorry to hear you don't have the proper room for these beauties and must be frustrating to take a 3300 dollar hit just to test these out after longing for them for 25 yrs.

the room i have is 14x21 . the k-horns are set up in the 2 corners that are 21ft apart.. i dont have 2 good corners on the 21ft configuration. i do however have 2 good corners on the 14 ft side. is that gonna be wide enough apert? i can take off the wheels if will improve the bass. i,ve held off on buying a bryston to push them, so for now i,m just powering them on a yamaha that i have on hand. advertised @ 80w x 2. the problem i am having is i have about 10% bass, and about 90% highs, which is just nasty in any room. i dont want to dump a wad of cash on a much larger amp if my room or room configuration wont work for these. i have taken the woofer doors off and checked the cond. of the woofers and they look like new. the crossovers seem to be doing thier job. i,m trying whatever i can to get these to sound good without spending any more money if i cant use them. is that amp enough to get even a taste of what these are capeable of? is my room big enough to ever get these to sound good? i really dont want to part with these if i dont need to, but dont want to keep them if i cant use them. any help is greatly aprieciated. thnx in advance, colin

One of my favorite quotes from PWK is "What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier." Power is not the issue but SOMETHING definitely is. Most Yamy's I've heard were good to excellent as SS goes...but I don't care for SS amps of any kind so that is generous. Whether you keep the 'horns or not due diligence suggests you need to find out just what the issue is, and it is not power unless there is an issue with the amp.

As mentioned, a good seal to the corner of the room is a requirement for full range response. While failure to achieve this is definitely going to create an issue with balance it should NOT make the mid/high sound "nasty."

Bear in mind the Klipschorn is probably the most unforgiving speaker ever designed and it makes bad recordings SHINE with evil. Some cannot handle this and prefer a less accurate, more "forgiving" speaker. Not us hornheads. We just say "NO" to crappy recordings and to those who consider the horn sound as "squawky" or harsh because they cannot tell the difference between poor source material and great loudspeakers.

There is far less decent source material than most know about, and only Klipscheads and those with similar quality loudspeakers fully understand this.

Dave

........just sayin......if I'm wrong my apologies.

You state I was wrong in the way I percieved it and I'm back to apologise........ again

I'm well aware of the nature of "the big nickel".

I truly hope you can work out something with the room, I've heard Khorns once and it sent shivers up my spine.

Stick around and go to school with these great guys in here and their knowledge. I wish I was playing with the "Big Boys"

Mr Mallette posted while i was typing my apology and see the great advice. I'm always searching out and can PM any sweet deals up your way for appropriate amps. What source and music format are you using to the amp you have now?

Garbage in = garbage out.

You state I was wrong in the way I percieved it and I'm back to apologise........ again

Your suggestion might have been a bit premature, but not entirely off base. We've seen it before. I think you put it reasonably qualified in your original post and have apologized very nicely. Fugidaboutit... [:D]

I hear you about the "shivers." My first experience was in PWK listen lab at Hope and it shaped my entire listening life from that day forward.

I've disposed of a couple of thousand crappy recordings over the years that sounded awful on my 'horns...but the 'horns remain!

Dave

its all good . no worries. @ ajoker2c

[:D] Like the others in here, if you see something you want in amps, pre amps down in Toronto area, I can help get it to you if needed. Let us know the source and amp models you're using now and a budget you have if upgrade is needed.

Timmins appears to be recent hotbed for good deals lately

i,m not a burnt kinda cd guy. i,ve actually done the same as mentioned above and litterally thrown out a brand new cd because the recording was crap, so i,m 100% on track with you guys on that one. my favorite recordings are anything that is x masterd like maddona or lidsay buckingham for example. they dont cheap out on quality. as for the model of yamaha i have, its a rx-v692. it has treated me well for many years, running a set of vivid,s and then later a set of cerwin vega at 15,s. i dont mind spending money if i need to, as long as i,m sure its gonna help. i am very suprised to hear that timmins has deals on anything. i deal in a lot of classic car parts and have always found that they were way off on thier prices. maybe its the recent mining boom thats got more money floating around, therfore dropping thier prices on used stuff? i,ll have to check it out

the problem i am having is i have about 10% bass, and about 90% highs, which is just nasty in any room.

The cabinets should sit on the floor, and as tight into the corners as you can get. Low power amps will work fine, and you should still get good bass out of the KHorns. If your corners aren't good, try then on the shorter wall if they will fit better. You can always, fairly inexpensively, build 'false corners', that will allow a tight seal and make it possible to rotate the cabs a bit to point at the listening area even though on the short wall.

The room isn't too small.

Bruce

Looks like all you need to do is take the wheels off,,,get some foam pipe insulation and seal them to the corner. Don't forget to seal the horizontal part of the bass bin also. Another idea I tried I got from HDBR builder is to get Grippers from wally world or dept. store and put them on bottom if they sit on hard smooth flooring. Its hard to tell whats the problem with out being there but check everything. Let us know, I think forum can help you fix this. Rick

i,m gonna pull the wheels off of them 2nite, as well as move then into the 2 good corners on the 14ft wall. if that dont work, i,ll try the foam technic, and if that dont work, i,ll try the false corners. please keep posting ideas, i,m sure i,m not the first k-horn guy thats going through this. i,ll keep you posted on the progress thnx in advance, colin

Colin, you have a homeboy there in Canada who builds some amazing tube amps at a very good price ( 300 ), he calls his business Musical Paradise. I have personally talked to a guy in Minn. who has the 5wpc hooked to K"s and he says the sound is like nothing he"s ever heard. He had been a ss guy before, he says you cant stay in the room with it at half throttle, but good corners are still a must.....Roost

The 14 foot wall will be fine so long as the corners are better.

Getting them off the casters and hunkered down will make a difference.

..another question just came to mind. That Yamaha you've got....is that a Home Theater receiver (AVR) or just a 2-channel integrated amp?

If it's an AVR, make sure the speakers are set to "large" to turn off the high-pass filter.

Colin, you have a homeboy there in Canada who builds some amazing tube amps at a very good price ( 300 ), he calls his business Musical Paradise. ..Roost

+1 on the Musical paradise tube amps. Sounded sweet and had enough juice to easily handle my heresys. My room is 14x24.

I see them come up periodically on canuckaudiomart.

Here's link:

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Colin,

You said in an earlier post you pulled the woofer doors off to check the woofers. Did you reseal the doors? I'm no expert on this but other guys on this forum are. I 'm pretty sure that seal needs to be good and air tight. I've had KHorns for 25+ years in three different homes. Your room is not too small. You should be delighted once you get them dialed in.

Quiet Hollow-- good idea about the large/small speaker settings.

babadono

things are sounding alot better. placed the k,s on the 14ft wall, night and day difference. then pulled off the wheels, and got a much deeper bass. they sound pretty good now, but nowhere close to where they should be. they do sound good enough to notice that i have 1 tweeter that is blown, so that will be replaced imediately. i start to fall in love with the sound when i get up around the distotion point with what i have on hand. i sent the guy an email for the tube amp in the link that joker posted. this is food for thought: with this cabinet being a "ported" enclosure, has anybody ever covered the rear "port" and cut out lets say 2 or 3 3" ports close to the bottom of the makeshift cover for possibly an improved bass response? has anyone tried this? anyways, i,m defineately pulling the khorns off of kijiji as we speak, the wife and i are not gonna part with them. time to add some power and some more tweaking. thnx guys

Colin,

That is not a port in the rear. It is the opening of the bass horn. It fires into the corner and makes the entire corner the mouth of a much larger horn, using math and physics and acoustic properties I only barely understand. PWK was a genius. I think you need to, if you have not already, see a cutaway view of what's inside the KHorn bass horn.

babadono

is there a link that somebody has, where i can see this? i know these are not your average speakers, but would like to learn about how extreme they really are.sounds like i need to be re-educated. ok guys, teach me please

Colin,

That is not a port in the rear. It is the opening of the bass horn. It fires into the corner and makes the entire corner the mouth of a much larger horn, using math and physics and acoustic properties I only barely understand. PWK was a genius. I think you need to, if you have not already, see a cutaway view of what's inside the KHorn bass horn.

babadono

I can;t find a good drawing that explains the horn geometry. In a nutshell, the woofer fires through a slot toward the front of the speaker. The signal spilts up and down the face of the horn (what you are looking at when you face the cab). At the top and bottom, it folds back and down, and then hits the corner of the room as it exits the cab on the left and right sides, with the sides of the cabinet and the wals forming the last part of the horn. This gives the long horn, with a continuous expansion (to get the low frequencies), and explians why it needs to be tucked firmly in the corners.

The downside is that it splits and expands verticle and then horizontal. The newer Klipshorn Jubilee only exands in the horizontal so it doesn't do the twist. This allows it to go higher in freq. with the woofer.

They are both great, for sure.

Bruce

link to drawings of Khorn so you can see the complexity of the horn. 50+ pieces of wood...

http://www.acousticpsychos.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=16

The plexi Khon with PWK standing by might give a better view:

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1734&size=big&cat=views&limit=views