brand new here, and to the klipsch world

. i start to fall in love with the sound when i get up around the distotion point...

Wuh wuh? Distortion point?[:|]

Three basic maintenance items come to mind. For each speaker:

1. Tighten down the four screws on the back of the tweeter magnets. The magnet, not the screws that bolt the driver to the inside of the cabinet. Give'em a solid, healthy twist..see if they tighten up any.

2. Order new replacement gaskets that fit in between the squawker drivers and horn throats. Bob Crites stocks them. [Y]

3. Pull them away from the corners and run a 25-30 hz tone through them at low volume. Listen / feel around the driver access panels for air leaks.

Give all that a whirl. If they still sound tough at spirited levels after that, then you know it's another whole 'nother set of issues.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they do sound good enough to notice that i have 1 tweeter that is blown, so that will be replaced imediately.

Bob Crites has replacement tweeters for those. Also, watch out with that distortion. You can easily blow your speakers driving them with too little power and distortion. The speakers interpret distortion as heat and heat kills speakers.

Since your doing all this moving them around why not go to hardware store get 1/2 '' foam pipe insulation,,,very cheap... and get all the bass. Do you have loudness switch on? Could be tweeter blown and shorting out you amp?? Check tweeter with OHM meter may have to un solder them at crossover. Just some ideas.I see your amp has 80 watts it should not run out of power unless something set wrong or bad amp. The foam goes on the tail board edges into the corner and on the horizontal piece along the wall.What gauge speaker wire are you using and how far is it going. Is it an AVR or stereo reciever? If on a hard smooth floor i would put Grippers on the bottom to i have 5 on each one,, 2 up front 2 in center 1 back at tail board area., Rick

Thats it... got to be sealed to the wall.....so the wall becomes part of the speaker. Next thing is to figure out the tweeter problem need to make sure its bad before getting new one only way is to use OHM meter a cheap one will work from wallyworld. If gap on wall is great may need 3/4 pipe insulation or just buy 2 of each size to save trip. Is your reciever a AVR type ?? Need list of your system to help you better there huge amount of information on the forum just start searching.Rick

ok, i sealed all of my edges with pipe insul. unfortuneately, not alot of difference in bass. the bass i,m getting feels like a thump in the chest, but kinda hollow. very nice if these were a set of technics or something, but they,re k-horns. i also swithed over to another yamaha amp. its 120 per ch. its an av style "htr-6080" i do however have a blown tweeter, which i ordered a pair of k-77,s from crites, but highs are not what i,m lacking.. i would really like a deeper, more room shaking bass. any recomendations on a decent sub?

Did you check polarity on the woofers? polarity on the seaker wire going to speakers? Not sure what you mean hollow thump.The AVR has to be set to ..large...My old HK430 will shake the walls with 24 watts per so something is amiss here. Need pics of wiring maybe to help or more information.Rick

When you had woofer door off did you make sure it was klipsch K-33 woofer and wired right? That door is hard to get off and usually screws the seal up... need new seal on it maybe. Has to be something ....what type music you listen to? Just trying to figure this out.Also tighten wing nuts that hold woofer in the bin. Rick

It could be that you just don't like the bass from KHorns. It may be more enveloping that pounding in your chest.

Although, on one of the Klipsch Pilgrimages I heard Khorns at Indy and they were awsome...

Bruce

The polarity could be wrong inside the bass cavity going from the access door to driver itself. What are the bass settings on the reciever. I don't even have one of mine in a full corner I built a false 1/2 corner.If your wanting home theater type bass I guess you will need a sub that would be below 35hz but most music does not go that low. I still think some thing is not right but without more information we can't help.Maybe try different crossover ??

Did you check back of speaker inside the bass horn to see if anything is stuffed in there when I got mine leaves of all things were in there.Also when I was redoing mine I wanted know how much the woofer moved so I made plexi glass woofer door and during heavy bass with bass turned up woofer cone moved very litttle so the horse power is there. Next thing to do is take woofer out and inspect inside that area maybe woofer bad or torn from pests. Rick

all of my polarity seems to be correct, and on the woofers too. the bass i have is very "tight" (like comparing a 10" sub in a car to a 15" in a car). the bass i am expecting should be a much lower, more room shaking kinda bass.

You'll need a subwoofer then. Room shaking is approaching infrasonics. You won't get that out of a K-horn.

Are the crossover connections soldered on or have a barrier strip with screws? Still sounds to me something is wrong here.. I also have mine on 14.5 foot wall. There is a post on the forum about not using the speaker with blown or unhooked driver....could be causing amp problems? Maybe someone knows about that. Rick

i think maybe MARVEL is right. maybe the khorns have a different bass than i,m used to. all of my conections are good, and proper, and everything in the cabinet checks out fine too. i hooked up a 20 band eq, and it helped alot. i will purchase a good 12"-15" sub, and i think all will be ok. regardless, the khorns are now part of the family.

'

colinoates, I think you are on to something. I am a devotee of the pipe organ. K'horns can handle the 16' pipes with total authority as they are at 30hz or so. 32' pipes are at 16hz and out of range of ANY speaker you can fit into a room. One needs a sub for that. PWK designed the Klipschorn for cost and size as well as performance, and fully understood there was a few percent of the repertoire that would not be covered.

However, the NATURE of K'horn bass is also different from that of those "mushamusahwhumpwhump" things you hear on the road and in many HT systems. It's CLEAN and accurate. I've a recording of the Franck Chorale in B Minor. That chorale has what I call "quiet bass" in it. It's 32', and my Klipshorns by themselves get the bulk of it nicely. It's tight, quiet, and you both hear and feel the distinct vibrations in the air as individual waves. And, yes, a few things in the room or windows may rattle a bit.

I remain convinced there is no other loudspeaker one can purchase at any price the provides the combination of accuracy, range, efficency, size, and price of a Klipschorn. PWK told me personally that the Klipschorn's size was designed for 32hz waves and there was no way to make it smaller until someone invented a shorter 32hz wave!

Dave