brand new here, and to the klipsch world

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colinoates, I think you are on to something. I am a devotee of the pipe organ. K'horns can handle the 16' pipes with total authority as they are at 30hz or so. 32' pipes are at 16hz and out of range of ANY speaker you can fit into a room. One needs a sub for that. PWK designed the Klipschorn for cost and size as well as performance, and fully understood there was a few percent of the repertoire that would not be covered.

However, the NATURE of K'horn bass is also different from that of those "mushamusahwhumpwhump" things you hear on the road and in many HT systems. It's CLEAN and accurate. I've a recording of the Franck Chorale in B Minor. That chorale has what I call "quiet bass" in it. It's 32', and my Klipshorns by themselves get the bulk of it nicely. It's tight, quiet, and you both hear and feel the distinct vibrations in the air as individual waves. And, yes, a few things in the room or windows may rattle a bit.

I remain convinced there is no other loudspeaker one can purchase at any price the provides the combination of accuracy, range, efficency, size, and price of a Klipschorn. PWK told me personally that the Klipschorn's size was designed for 32hz waves and there was no way to make it smaller until someone invented a shorter 32hz wave!

Dave

Ah, the khorn bass. I can feel it in my chest even at medium loudness on some songs. Dave described it well. Some of us grew up with the big drect reflect woofers so it is different when you first hear it. Distortion free and TIGHT. Highly addictive and soon I was hooked. I don't prefer a sub, seems to interfere to me but I don't listen to the pipe organ stuff that goes so low.

Dave described it well

Overstated one thing. I have a horn loaded subwoofer in my garage awaiting "beautification" that will fit in the room and handle the missing bits. However, it's about the size of a double door refrigerator.

Personally, I find it a violation of K'horn ethics to use any sub that isn't horn loaded with it. The K'horn is the size it is because of PWKs belief that only horn loading could provide the elements of loudspeaker quailties that he established in the 6 Cardinal Rules. We are here because we have experienced the realization of those rules in the K'horn and are believers.

The true believer isn't going to mix metaphors. Nothing heretical about adding a sub...unless it isn't horn loaded.

Dave

Nothing heretical about adding a sub...unless it isn't horn loaded.

I have a new nickname, "Carl the heretic".

Thought about you when I wrote that and started to make an exception for IB. Guess I should have as I think PWK would concur. I'll ask him when I see him.[A]

Dave

And we are still waiting to see the beautified sub.... Roll-eyes

You must be busy or something.

Bruce

Totally consumed with the pipe organ project.

Dave

No doubt, Dave. That sub will be collecting dust for a while. But the organ project will be worth all the effort once it's done.

Bruce

i,ve been looking at a bryston 4b. i think that should cut it

Well, it will make sound for sure.......Have you heard it on Khorns ever? Ever compared a bryston to a Good Tube Amp?

If not, you might want to auditon some Amps on Khorns in your area. People on this forum readily give auditions of their gear. Where are you located?

Lot of the folks here can be quite friendly. in letting you audition their gear. Gentleman was interested in listening to some tubes. In short he was going to be passing through my area that week, or was it the next week? No matter, he stopped by and listened to a couple tube set ups, Mcintosh MC30'S, Fisher 400, and when we got to the Marantz 2325 he had to go. Had 70 miles to drive and had to work the next day.

To get to the point, I got an email, and he posted on the site that he had bought tube setup. So he must have liked them better then the SS though the KHorns.

Maybe you can find someone in your area to share the sound of their system. Suggest you bring your own music. I did not know where to find what this gentleman would have liked to listen to. Had it, just did not know where,

Best of luck [8].............Taz

Some of us are just relegated to substandard gear. It's our cross to bear. Angel

Yeah, I've heard yer stuff. Poor thing, wish there was something I could do to relieve you of some of your pain.

Dave

Yea, thats the spirit. Help a fellow member out when you can. [:)]

Now shaking the dust off the shop walls [A]

This summer may attempt to annoy the neighbors [6]

Taz