Cabinet for R-5800-W in walls

kag4me

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has built cabinets for a pair of R-5800's and would be willing to share internal volume sizes? sealed? vented? If not, anyone know the T/S parameters so one can be designed up? I am wanting to do a custom installation for myself and want to get the best sounds from these as I can.

Well, seems to me the cavity in the wall effectively becomes the cabinet. Your wall may be different than my wall therefore the internal cavity volume may be different. Therefore the sound repro from these two walls is going to be different. Then one needs to account for resonance of the wall itself.

In my case, when I finished my walls, I specifically hung ½“ sheetrock versus the standard ¼” for the walls that these are mounted in. My intention was to add that (slightly) additional rigidity to minimize resonance. Additionally, before hanging my sheet rock, I built internal cabinets with bracing to further minimize wall vibrations (modeled after B&W 802’s). I used adhesive to bond the sheet rock to the internal bracing to further reduce wall resonance.

Conceptually, this worked great. However at that time (years ago) I was not as aware of determining internal volumes therefore my install is probably not optimized for this specific speaker. Given a standard 16OC 2x4 framed wall; the internal volume is then ((14 ½ x 3 ½ x 96) / 1728) ~2.82 cuft. Is that optimal for this speaker, probably not. What then if it’s installed on an outside 2x6 framed wall stuffed with insulation? Volume and dampening is significantly different.

Maybe I’m way off as I am a novice at acoustics and all the funky mathematics. But I am trying to learn as it is intriguing.

Therefore, short of having the T/S parameters to use with some software, I don’t know how to determine the optimal internal volume and dampening so am posing the question….

I did receive an email response from another forum member; s/he indicated a Klipsch Engineer suggested an internal volume of 1.5. Humm….. that’s less than a standard framed wall I mentioned above. Arrrrg.

It sucks being a perfectionist sometimes LOL J

I believe your thinking is right on .I personally have no knowledge of these speakers but as an alarm installer who became a Bose installer did use in walls and then used bracket style cubes in walled w/ a grill cover from another speaker mnft. It did work, put aside what you think of Bose right now I'm just talking the feasiblity of putting outside wall speakers in wall and yes it can be done. Also there are other factors as an insulated wall vs an interior wall w/ no insulation.We also put in an internal shelf to hold the cubes and your idea of using adhesive in addition to screws is a great idea. I think your dimensions of sheet rock are wrong .There is 1/2'' and 5/8'' as standard I never heard of 1/4'' sheet rock....