My new/old pair of la scala

Finally I bought my pair of la scala, I bought without crossovers and tweeters this is why I'm here asking you knowledge people what direction should I go?

I'm going to be using this I'm my simple HT system

For receiver is a denon 991 "I know I should have tubes instead but this what I have for now lol"

For the rear are heresy 1 no modifications yet "one thing at time "

And center I have academy and a Polk subwoofer

Any input will be great appreciate thanks Cesar

I will have some pics once I get them ;)

• Like 1

Welcome Ceasar: my two cents. An Acadamy will not be able to keep up with a pair of LaScala's. So here is my suggestion. Save up and buy a second set of LaScala and use one as a centre and sell the other along with the Acadamy. Or you can build up a stereo system based around the LaScala and pick up another set of Heresy for the 5.1 system ot better yet sell the Acadamy and if it is in good shape you could get enough for it to cover the bulk for two sets of Heresy. Run Heresy centre front L&R rear L&R and rear centre buy a sub. With this setup you will be able to kick as hard as you could want. Thay way your suround system is a matching system and you have a superb and totally dynamic stereo rig with your LaSala in another room. Remember that the centre channel is the surround system, it is the most important speaker in your surround system and accounts for well more than 60 percent of all that you hear. The centre channel speaker is the most important speaker in a home theater and sets the overall sound quality of the system. I hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Finally I bought my pair of la scala, I bought without crossovers and tweeters this is why I'm here asking you knowledge people what direction should I go? I'm going to be using this I'm my simple HT system For receiver is a denon 991 "I know I should have tubes instead but this what I have for now lol" For the rear are heresy 1 no modifications yet "one thing at time " And center I have academy and a Polk subwoofer Any input will be great appreciate thanks Cesar I will have some pics once I get them ;)

So the Lascalas don't have crossovers or tweeters? First things first. You gotta get those installed. Depending on your budget, there are different options. Bob Crites sells both on his website. If you can find some AA or AL-3 crossovers for less, that would be a good choice. As for the tweeters, get Bob Crites tweets.

MJ is right. The Academy just isn't gonna cut it with the Lascalas. Go ahead and use it at first, but take his advice, and get bigger and better in the center. The minimum is a Heresy. The best is another Lascala.

In a HT system, tubes are not really the best thing. Stick with solid state unless you win the lottery. If you were simply putting a stereo system together for music, then I'd say tubes. In your case, the Denon is ducky.

Oh, and by the way... There is nothing simple about a HT system which uses heritage Klipsch speakers. They rival the systems the theaters use.

• 1 month later...

Hi I would like to ask you knowledgeable people here some questions, i have the La Scala working now, and I have 3 heresy one in the front as a center channel and the other two as rear surround but i don't like the way it sounds, the set up i had before sound better lol; RF-3, RC-2ii and heresy.

I am thinking in change my receiver denon 991 for a denon with a pre amp so i can add a separate amp from emotiva

I would like to know if i need to get different amp for the front, center and rear

emotiva upa-200 for the front and or xpa-3 fronts and center, or even more save money and get the xpa-5 do i need all the power??

Thanks in advance cesar

I really didn't get tweeters or crossover I bought a Industrial La Scala from a klipsch enthusiastic here so. About the sound it is better but I have to upper de volume a lot more now then i had it before and i think the sound is "buffed" not open, clear like i was hopping to get.

I really think is something to do with the set up of the receiver since i can hear the rear more than i can hear the fronts, i have run the audyssey twice and it gave the same parameters lol i really don't know what to do?

I was reading here in the klipsch forums that some people have receivers that has pre out and they add an extra amp so have even amount of "power" to the speaker, and i saw the emotiva has according to the reviews they are good for the money and since i have such a good speakers but different sizes i should get different sizes of amps lol

Thanks

Allow me to step in here since I was the original owner of these La Scalas. Perhaps I can prevent a few dead end strategies.

The La Scalas were working fine, all drivers functioned and the crossovers and autoformer taps had not been molested.

There seem to be 2 issues. The first issue is that Cesar feels the La Scalas need to have the volume turned higher (if I read the comment correctly). There is definitely something wrong here since the La Scalas should be louder than the Heresy. I would double check all settings and hook ups on the electronics.

The second issue is that the La Scalas do not sound "open" etc. Six weeks ago, I did not notice such a problem. However, keep in mind these were stock crossovers from 2 or 3 decades ago. They are candidates fro having new capacitors installed. IMO, I would just use the comparable Solens (easily and affordably found at Parts Express). If you want to get fancy, then bypass the caps with a Dayton film/foil cap of about 1-5% the value. That would only be a couple bucks extra. The common comment after re-freshing the capacitors is that the sound is a bit more open, detailed or clear. So this could be on target for whatever the problem is. Again, this suggestion of re-freshing (and bypassing) the caps is only $20-30.

I hope this is helpful and good luck. The La Scalas should be sounding good, even in a stock configuration.

-Tom

Hi Tom how are you?

First of all thank you very much for the nice speakers that now I have.

No, the speakers sound the same when I got them, the problem is the receiver that I am having hard time tuning the way it should be, and this is why I'm here asking for help, and yes I'm going to re-cap then and change the tweeters but for now I need to know what am I going to do with my receiver "Denon avr 991" .

post-53517-13819854685096_thumb.jpg

Cesar, I am trying to figure your two original comments. In a two-channel configuration, do the La Scalas sound louder than the Heresy (volume knob in the same postition)? If the Heresy pair actual sound louder, then you set something up incorrectly (I am not familiar with the Denon or is settings).

Your other comment about lacking an "open" sound, may be solved by re-freshing the capacitors. I would do that before upgrading tweeters.

Good luck and remember these problems are all solvable (and affordable).

-Tom

2. Check that the machine screws on the back of the tweeter magnets are evenly tightend and fully seated. The gaskets sandwiched inside the assembly compress after time and allow the diaphragm to leak / sound distorted.

My experience (5 out of 5 units so far) has been that if they have not seen recent service, they'll easily take an additional 1/4 to 3/4 turn before fully seating down again. Good for 0.5-1 dB SPL measured and much audibly improved / smoother performance on stuff like harps, flutes, trumpets, etc.

post-42237-1381985469731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1