2nd SW-115

ivanhurd

^^^When I heard the SW-112 in the show room, I was pretty impressed with it as well. I think as far as bang for buck is concerned, it doesn't rate as well as the SW-115 tho. The single one I have I personally think sounds fantastic, so getting a second one to even out the bass response I'm sure is going to be great. I can't wait to get it and get it dialed in.

I finally at the point where my system is about as tweaked as possible for now... the single 115 I have is so much, I just can not imagine having two. for movies, my 115 is barely at half of max and it scares me how much it shakes the foundation, I like my house... I don't want to have it come apart.

for digital sound, it's really really good... makes me want to try others but I can not afford it right at this second... for analog sounds, I am still having to tweak and makes adjustments and it's not optimal as yet... but that's not the sub-woofers fault.

dead spots... I do experience those.

you you noticed how the max saturation is like 90º off axis? is this the same for most sub woofers?

if I stand on the side of my sub, it's nearly twice as loud as if I sit in front of her.

That sounds like right in front is a null. My ultras sound the same at every seat in my living room. I'm having a guy bring some calibration equipment over today to check everything. Should be interesting. Two subs, regardless of you needing them or thinking it will shake your house apart, sound so much different. More like a wall of base front the front instead of just bass being there.

I've never had 2 subs, so I'm excited to experience it

Two subs will smooth out the frequency response in the room and each sub will only have to work 1/2 as much as one sub. This equals more dynamic headroom and power for those LFE, Boom shake of boom[:)].

• Moderators

Two subs will smooth out the frequency response in the room and each sub will only have to work 1/2 as much as one sub.

You sure about that? [:^)]

If adding a 2nd sub yields a 3db gain, how would that amount to each sub having to work 1/2 as much? Just trying to understand the logic there. [;)]

adding a 2nd sub yields a 3db gain, how would that amount to each sub having to work 1/2 as much? Just trying to understand the logic there

What I was thinking, for example:

sub A 1 watt = 90 db, 2 watts= 93 db, and 4 watts= 96 db

adding a second sub B will add 3-6 db depending on how they are placed in the room. The second sub will allow the the 2 subs to reach the 96 db at roughly 1/2 the power need for just one sub. This is an overly simplified answer since other factors will be at work. The two subs in an ideal case will reach 96 db with just 2 watts of power. Now I will sit down and wait on the tomatoes and eggs to fly, lol.[8-)]

Youthman, I was playing with some extreme bass videos the other day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLSG98kRrZU) and was amazed at the output of my 2 subs which are not power house subs. I was able to get to 110-115 db at reference level c-weighted and did not up the gain on the subs which are around 10 O'clock and not hot. I did this with the large setting for the RF 7's in stereo mode vs the small setting in stereo mode using the subs. I knew the 7's were not contributing much bass since they were xo at 100 Hz and I could see their power output on the amp. They were using less than 1 watts with the small setting. The benefits of the subs compared to running the speakers as Large was apparent. The 7's can't keep up based on my observations. My 7's are on the M-80 Yamaha which is 250 watts/ch. I did this because a guy on avs was complaint of loosing volume using the subs with a small setting vs large for his towers and questioning how MCACC was handling the bass management.

The math continues to be 10x power increase to doube the volume. its a logorythm not straight addition :) this means the 10 watts or less we normally run, needs to go to 100 watts to double the present volume, and need 1,000 watts to double it again, so I always laugh when I hear kids talking Car stereo power, thinking the money they will spent for a 750 watt amp to replace their existing 500w amp is going to be a major boost, when the facts show it may not even be very noticable.

• Moderators

Youthman, I was playing with some extreme bass videos the other day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLSG98kRrZU) and was amazed at the output of my 2 subs which are not power house subs.

That track is sick. I had it playing on my KG 3.2 at low volume. LOL I'll have to try that one at home on my RF-83's and RSW-15. [:D]

I'm trying to find an online converter to make it an MP3.

The math comtinues to be 10x power increase to doube the volume. its a logorythm not straight addition :) this means the 10 watts or less we normally run, needs to go to 100 watts to double the present volume, and need 1,000 watts to double it again, so I always laugh when I hear kids talking Car stereo power, thinking the money they will spent for a 750 watt amp to replace their existing 500w amp is going to be a major boost, when the facts show it may not even be very noticable.

I thought it was double the power to increase the volume 3db.

The math comtinues to be 10x power increase to doube the volume. its a logorythm not straight addition :) this means the 10 watts or less we normally run, needs to go to 100 watts to double the present volume, and need 1,000 watts to double it again, so I always laugh when I hear kids talking Car stereo power, thinking the money they will spent for a 750 watt amp to replace their existing 500w amp is going to be a major boost, when the facts show it may not even be very noticable.

I thought it was double the power to increase the volume 3db.

you are correct. double the power is an extra 3db.

adding n extra sub will get you an extra 3 db unless stacked in a corner. but that would be pointless with your wants as you have said one sw-115 is enough already. filling the nulls is what you after and adding the second will sure assist you with that more than anything else you could add. and co-located subs is just a new ball game to me as the bass is so much more immersive as if it is coming from every speaker.