2nd SW-115

ivanhurd

this null idea... will rotating the sub in position help with that? I have not seen many sub placement pictures where the sub is firing perpendicular to listening position.

Like I has said, my system is tuned from my LP... I just notice that off axis/perpendicular there is MUCH MORE db's. I mean even if I did rotate the sub, all I wold be doing is lowering the gain on it.

this null idea... will rotating the sub in position help with that? I have not seen many sub placement pictures where the sub is firing perpendicular to listening position.

The nulls are a function of the room modes. Moving the sub orientation will not get rid of the modes, they may be shifted to another location. The additional sub will smooth out the room's overall frequency response and increase the dynamic headroom. The easier the subs work=decrease cone movement=less distortion=cleaner bass.

The example I gave was based on the log scale and the math was pretty straight forward. Scappy is correct, it is a factor of x10 to double the power and 10 db to doulbe the precieved volume which I always have to try an keep straight in my memory, lol.[:)]

Be careful with your placement and use an SPL meter when you set them up. You can actually have less bass at the seated position when adding a second sub compared to using a single sub. Setting up 2 subs (when not stacked) to sound RIGHT takes time and patience. Don't get discouraged during the process. The end results are worth it.

Like I has said, my system is tuned from my LP... I just notice that off axis/perpendicular there is MUCH MORE db's. I mean even if I did rotate the sub, all I wold be doing is lowering the gain on it.

if your LP is outin the middle of the room and when you move to a different spot on the room it will almost always be louder. Just seems like bass travels around the walls to me. At least in my experience with placements. I've only been to a couple home theaters where being out in the middle of the room had extreme output. And they all had diy subs with gobs of power and multiple 15 or 18 inch woofers.

Ivan, congrats on your second sub! While my wife and I were visiting her bro in Colorado Springs, we got a chance to listen to the SW-115 at a mutual friends house, man that thing pounds! Got a chance to listen to some music, and play some games with it, and I gotta say I walked away pretty impressed. The friend had a system close to the one you have with the only exception he had rs-42's for side surrounds, but still great sounding system. Take the pics once you get your new toy!