speaker hook /ups w/ Mac pre/amps

Hi, As always wanted to have a McIntosh 2105 and c-28 as my primary system, and this never became reality as Mac gear retains or exceeds it's value and is outof my price range for now.With all that I always noticed that w/ Mac pres they allow you to h/u speakers directly to the pre and not to the amp it self. Now I do not think I have seen speakers set up into preamps ever .I have no idea why and would like to know what is the reason for this.Over at another site they also said as a general standing rule NEVER plug anything into the oulets into the back of the preamps. Again this seems to be a convient way of getting the amp powered on at the same time w/ the switched outlet in back but as I said this was universally frowned upon and HIGHLY reccomended of a practice not to do. Could someone clear this up for me.

And the speaker terminals are used for a zone 2 or to use a 2nd set of speakers in same area. I have a c26 hooked to MC250 and use those terminals for speakers in an adjacent room when girlfriend is using HT system in living room.

Hope that answers question appropriately.

Convenience outlets in the back of pre-amps or receivers were/are only intended for very low power devices like CD players, tuners, etc. They are absolutely not designed to handle the high current needs of a power amp.

Theoretically, the switch on a C-28 can handle the power needs of a 2105. However, since you do have a power switch on the amp, I'd plug it straight into the wall. Three reasons. One, the switch on the C-28 is expensive and hard to find should it go bad. Second, your amp will have an easier time getting the power it needs. and finally, it will let you turn the amp on last and off first, to minimize "thumping."

Back when the C-28 was new, it was considered hip to have the output of the power amp go back into the preamp, usually through a set of screw connections. Doing this let you connect your amp to several different sets of speakers and switch them easily. In some cases - the Harman Kardon Citation 11 and Marantz 3300 come to mind, if memory serves, it also let the power amp drive the headphone jack.