The underrated garage

Growing up, I used to chum around with a couple of 'ol pilot buddies that went in together on a hangar. It was all decked out. Twin pull-out sofas, huge throw rug, stereo, TV, bathroom w/shower, fridge full of soda & booze, an office space up in the loft, and of course, two Cessnas and a panoramic view of the airfield when the doors were open.

It stuck in my mind, the idea of this garage / home space has some serious Y-chromosome appeal.

In metropolitan areas, I typically see homes with alarmingly tiny garages, if it all. Da Fuq? I work on stuff and need the space to accomplish that. [*-)]

How do you guys feel about it? Garage important? Deal breaker?

Funny you should mention it: I'm currently looking for a workshop space in the back yard since our 2-car garage needs to hold the autos when we're home (i.e., Texas hail, tornados, heat, UV, bird poop, west Texas dust storms, etc.).

Not having a good workspace is the reason why I haven't been building DIY since, well...high school. I hope to change that situation in the next year or so, but of course after the kitchen update and the new carpets, and wood floor refinishing...

Chris

Funny you should mention it: I'm currently looking for a workshop space in the back yard since our 2-car garage needs to hold the autos when we're home (i.e., Texas hail, tornados, heat, UV, bird poop, west Texas dust storms, etc.).

Not having a good workspace is the reason why I haven't been building DIY since, well...high school. I hope to change that situation in the next year or so, but of course after the kitchen update and the new carpets, and wood floor refinishing...

Chris

I could have a 6 car garage and still somehow find a way to fill it up with "stuff."

Garage is definitely important and underrated indeed. My son-in-law has a triple and a kegerator. good stuff indeed!

guess i'm giving up my redneck roots, but you can still grill out in the rain from the garage. grill outside in rain ok. seated in garage waiting ok. patio not ok.

quiet hollow, the hangar space and view sounds fabulous!

I'd never buy a house without a garage. Ideally I'd have a garage AND seperate work/project area. Currently my garage serves both purposes. It's not ideal but it's workable.

I agree with Jeff about "stuff" though. It grows at an alarming rate.

The "Number 1 Klipsch Fan", our own Kevin Harmon has the "Ultimate Shop". I believe it is 60' by 150' and has a monsterous central air unit. Kevin keeps his MCM-1900 4 ways, his KP-600s, a pair of "Early" Klipsch horns, his TSCMs, and a pair of short horns there that can be listened too. If you haven't met Kevin, you haven't met the nicest guy on the forum! Every Wednesday night about 20 or 30 people go to the shop for a meeting of the he man women haters and fine Louisiana BBQ quizine and music! I highly recomend the experience and two of Kevins brothers and his dad can often be found there plus beer! [<:o)][:P][;)]

Roger

The "Number 1 Klipsch Fan", our own Kevin Harmon has the "Ultimate Shop". I believe it is 60' by 150' and has a monsterous central air unit. Kevin keeps his MCM-1900 4 ways, his KP-600s, a pair of "Early" Klipsch horns, his TSCMs, and a pair of short horns there that can be listened too. If you haven't met Kevin, you haven't met the nicest guy on the forum! Every Wednesday night about 20 or 30 people go to the shop for a meeting of the he man women haters and fine Louisiana BBQ quizine and music! I highly recomend the experience and two of Kevins brothers and his dad can often be found there plus beer! Party!!!BeerStick out tongueWink

Roger

Mustang guy's is none too shabby from the pics I've seen either.

Where in LA. is Kevin? I'm about 30 minutes from the border.

The "Number 1 Klipsch Fan", our own Kevin Harmon has the "Ultimate Shop". I believe it is 60' by 150' and has a monsterous central air unit. Kevin keeps his MCM-1900 4 ways, his KP-600s, a pair of "Early" Klipsch horns, his TSCMs, and a pair of short horns there that can be listened too. If you haven't met Kevin, you haven't met the nicest guy on the forum! Every Wednesday night about 20 or 30 people go to the shop for a meeting of the he man women haters and fine Louisiana BBQ quizine and music! I highly recomend the experience and two of Kevins brothers and his dad can often be found there plus beer! Party!!!BeerStick out tongueWink

Roger

Mustang guy's is none too shabby from the pics I've seen either.

Where in LA. is Kevin? I'm about 30 minutes from the border.

Carl,

Kevin is in LaFayette!! [Y]

Roger

I have 2 two car garages (4 car garage total) and am out of space. I bought a 1/2 acre lot (big around here) with the intention of adding a 6 car workshop in the yard (and to hit the magic double digits for garage space - will really help the house sell if ever needed).

I am out of space. I want to keep 2 cars in one garage, motorcycles and related stuff in another, and workshop with wood tools and metal fabrication in the big shop. My wife loves projects so it will be our place to play when I eventually retire.

As far as "is it necessary," the main reason I bought my house was the garage space and big lot to add more. My neighborhood is about 150 homes all on 1/2 acre or larger and the association does not give anyone a hard time about toys (cars, boats, motorcycles, shops, etc). For that reason, homes here tend to sell very quickly and many of the homes have shops, so yes, garage space is very important.

Carl,

Give me a call if you want me to call Kevin and give you his number, Remember that he has Jubilees at his house as well!!!Wink

Roger (419)-231-5494

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Roger. Lafayette is a 4 hour round trip for me. Might be tough to do on a week night. Sounds like fun though.

My wife loves projects so it will be our place to play...

That is awesome!

All I have is a carport made with cedar posts and a leaky tin roof. Has a dirt floor and no power. I would LOVE to have a garage/workshop.

Most storage places are impossible. If you pull something out, it's like wet oatmeal... seems to swell up and you can't fit it all back. I didn't think the laws of physics worked that way.

Bruce

I feel that the garage is very important. I just bought a new house and the garage was one of the main reasons, it's a big 3 car (1400sqft) garage with a huge RV pad.

I have set up Heresys in there, I put in a full size fridge and now I am going to finish the floor with an epoxy, flake, and clearcoat and insulate the doors.

Shelving and over head storage racks and a good work bench will be needed soon.