Klipsch stadium airplay

McMiRA

Guest mphrsy

here's my initial write up. bear with it since i dont normally type reviews and all i know is i like great sound especially metal and at high volume.

Just a little background, I used to own an igroove hg when I looked for a great sounding dock for my ipod. When family and I moved to our home years ago, the first thing I bought was a used synergy 5.1 setup thanks to craigslist. I decided on Klipsch after seeing Slayer live and got me researching loudspeakers that sounds “in your face” and all searches pointed to horns and Klipsch. I currently own an X10, G17-air, and my current setup is a pair of Heresy 2s with Reference centers, sub, and surrounds. I decided to get the stadium for my personal use and also the possibility of being able to move it around from the patio where I have simple projector setup, to the bedroom if family decides to watch a movie there. Well, with a rolling cart hopefully since this thing is heavy. My lower back and hernia hates this thing.

The unit arrived in a brown shipping box marked Klipsch stadium. Inside is the actual box and the unit and accessories neatly packed in what feels like black fabric. The speakers and accessories seem and felt well built though the matching remote is plastic. I think brushed aluminum casing would match better (from my experience in brushed aluminum in the car scratches easily).

For my current use, I will mostly use my ipod with 192k mp3s. I skipped the manual as always since the buttons and the startup looks similar to my g-17 air and after a few tries, I got the stadium playing via rca cables. The sound is clear and powerful, almost like a separate sub is nearby. Folks who love lots of bass will love it. I played some sub bass test sounds and it never disappointed. At one time my daughter made a comment that it felt like the floor is shaking. Next, I got my note 2 connected via Bluetooth and tried different sounds on YouTube. This thing is very easy to use. During this test I used a decibel meter app and I was listening at around 80db. I haven’t tried and setup airplay and planned to try it this weekend.

One has to keep in mind the small dimensions in reference to the sound it can produce. The sound is big, clean, and powerful. To me, the easiest way to describe the sound is simply like a live performance. My usual test song “Hotel California” live and album “Alice In Chains Unplugged” just sound like they were here performing. I read one owner review somewhere claiming lame and unlistenable at all levels and I strongly disagree. My metal filled with guitars, distortion, and screaming vocals sound great, mellower 80’s music sound even better. The only person I can imagine not liking the stadium if someone who is into mellow and soft music only.

A few complaints come to mind, and some not the fault of the speakers. I think a volume indicator light is a good idea like the kmc so there is a little indication of level. I haven’t seen the app, but a little flexibility in setting may also help for those who wants less bass for example. Also for me, this needs to be placed on a standard height table or higher to hear more. Im now shopping for a sturdy stand or cart for this since most of my stuff are lower. Maybe tilting speakers or risers? I don’t know, just thinking. I moved the stadium to a tv stand at our 20 ft long enclosed patio and it filled the space with great sound.

The best thing I can compare this is my car that is tiny, but packed with technology, and not cheap. Im a person who doesn’t necessarily equate small equals cheap. I know everyone wants this cheaper, but to me considering all the goodness in such a compact package and its finish makes me willing to pay more and I think I got what I paid for. P.s. my brother in law just listened to the stadium yesterday and he was amazed on the sound level and quality, especially to low end bass, coming from such a small package. Without being familiar with Klipsch and him being an engineer, he estimated personally the stadium to be in the $1500-2000 range.

Hope this helps. Any questions, ill do my best to answer them.

Edited by mphrsy

Guest mphrsy

Here’s the Stadium and ipod nano next to my projector screen.

Some additional updates and feedbacks.

I connected my iPod nano latest gen and newer iPod classic via usb and the sound was more balanced and overall better as expected. I’ll use the rca less or next time when I use it for movie/projector.

Last night, I listened to the stadium in low volume and mixed music and the sound was very clear and detailed. I can almost compare to my towers and sub on low volume.

I also got the stadium working via airplay simply by downloading the app. This explains the manual with mostly numbered pictures and only thick due to the other translations. It was a very easy setup like the g17. Sound is great, I need to listen more if I can compare to Bluetooth and direct connection. The app’s simple setting of low, mid, and highs I think is ample and useful for minor adjustments especially if one wants less bass. I don’t see the need for more since the Stadium sounds great from the get go.

Bonus feature: it works like a fan J. I was listening to a manson song (the reflecting god) and towards the end where drums and distortions were peaking, I thought the AC turned on since I felt some breeze on my knees about 3 feet away from the speakers. I got closer and felt it with my hand and found out it was coming from the middle ports! I end up switching to youtube and watching some trailers and got the same breeze with soundtracks and effects are present. I got it a little louder and felt the moving air about 4 feet away. I guess the Stadium makes a great summer (or California heatwave) speaker.

One thing I noticed when I listened this time is that the bass seemed stronger about 45% and more than 6 feet away from the speakers. This could be the tight and unusual layout of our living room. Once I get the cart, ill try different placements if I hear the same thing.

post-58320-0-65460000-1400348913_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

half a year update: still enjoying the stadium especially the moment i turn it on and hear the initial sounds coming from a small (center size) speaker.  friends and family were amazed on the stadium also during gatherings. on a few occasions, folks thought my entire setup was on (5.1 with heresy II) when i have the stadium in front of the center channel. i also found a nearly matching cart so i can move it wherever i need it without hurting my back.

i contacted klipsch lately though since i am having an issue. the stadium turns off while in use. it happened on a few occasions and the latest was this morning while listening using my ipod on low volume, it did turned off after about an hour.

anyone else who bought the stadium experiencing it?

half a year update: still enjoying the stadium especially the moment i turn it on and hear the initial sounds coming from a small (center size) speaker.  friends and family were amazed on the stadium also during gatherings. on a few occasions, folks thought my entire setup was on (5.1 with heresy II) when i have the stadium in front of the center channel. i also found a nearly matching cart so i can move it wherever i need it without hurting my back.

i contacted klipsch lately though since i am having an issue. the stadium turns off while in use. it happened on a few occasions and the latest was this morning while listening using my ipod on low volume, it did turned off after about an hour.

anyone else who bought the stadium experiencing it?

I use a KMC3 for streaming pandora during the night. It shuts off on its own after a certain period of time without sound being transmitted. Or if the bluetooth disconnects for a period of time.

I also have a little Emotiva amp that has an auto on/off and if I'm listening at low volumes it too will go into standby on it's own.

So is it possible that your listening volume is just too low in those instances and triggering the standby?

those are the two things im thinking about too. might be amp overheating, but i duplicated this morning on very low volume. im also thinking maybe blutooth or other connections detects no connection and force stand by or off after a time period. im waiting for the rep's next response.

looks like the next step is going to be an exchange, but ill try a few more things. anyone familiar with this, i wonder if it matters what wireless mode is on when playing wired source? ill try having the same rca connection, but with a different wireless color on.

It shuts off in about an hour from the ipod. It does not shut off when using rca or BT from the tablet. Sounds like it may be the ipod itself.

If you have an iphone or android phone, you might want to test this out. It would be a shame to send the whole unit back and find out your ipod update was the cause. 

BTW, thanks for the reviews. That thing blows me away. IMO, it is a Heritage speaker in a small package.

I forgot to mention that the initial shut down happened while watching a movie and sound was coming via projector/rca.

Last night I tried with ipod again while led on orange and purple. Both end in shutdown after an hour. Last thing I'll try is a newer ipod via USB and see what happens.

If I send this I have my heresy and kmc 1 to fill in for now.

post-58320-0-08500000-1418423548_thumb.j

Edited by mphrsy

It sounds as though you have narrowed this down to the electronics. A definite call to Klipsch support/warranty is in order in my opinion. The amp portion looks to be very compact. Is there an internal fan, like the ones on laptop CPU's? Is the heat sink clogged with dust or something? Whatever you do, don't take it apart to see. You certainly wouldn't want to void your warranty!

i already have an exchange in order and i am shipping this soon. i guess its the rca connection only that cause a shutdown after trying my newer ipod classic via usb played continuously for over 2 hours. ill miss this baby for a few days.

i already have an exchange in order and i am shipping this soon. i guess its the rca connection only that cause a shutdown after trying my newer ipod classic via usb played continuously for over 2 hours. ill miss this baby for a few days.

Good to know they are stepping up to help. I have a bad case of the wants. Even at the high price and some poor reviews, I think it would be more like what I am accustomed to listening to. Horn loaded. Some people just don't like horns!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mphrsy

thanks, it looks like a replacement is on the way. i used the shipping label provided and end up sending it to another location, but got sorted out. i miss the big sound already.

Guest mphrsy

i scheduled today and it did not arrive. no calls or even notice. i called after the delivery time window and was informed the driver is gone for the day and somehow did not deliver. now im finding bad reviews, late, and damaged delivery by this trucking company. i hope i get my replacement on time tomorrow and in one piece. sorry partly venting after waiting all afternoon. time for kmc1.

Guest mphrsy

well it was delivered after failing again early morning. looks like im not having any luck lately. the replacement is hissing even on mute or lowest setting. i dont remember hearing this on my original one.