How to dial in a center channel

I have fooled myself on several occasions when the center channel was off. The higher quality recordings do not seem to need the center channel as much as other lower quality recordings. Alison Krauss's recordings project such a solid image across the left and right speaker that I actually thought the center channel was on, but the speaker selector switch was off. Lower quality recordings seem to benefit much more from an active center channel, so I will probably keep it.

Has anyone else experienced such a solid center presence with a two channel corner placed speaker setup and what recordings did you experience it with?

With my Klipschorn FR/FL and Belle Klipsch center, with the Belle rolling off below 80 Hz and flush mounted in the wall and raised so the tweeter and midrange are the same height as those of the Khorns, with the Belle & Khorns all just about the same distance from the center seat (measured by Audyssey @ 16.3 feet for both the right Khorn and the Belle, and 16.1 feet for the left Khorn -- possible because of flush mounting the Belle) I get:

• a better image with all three channels on with most recordings
  • a better image with the Belle off with some recordings
  • a better image for the two seats to the right and left of the center seat with the Belle on with almost all recordings
  • good 5.0 and 5.1 for SACD and Cinema, with the help of Heresy II surrounds

I'm not sure, but I suspect that a lot depends on the type of stereo microphone placement used during recording.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that a lot depends on the type of stereo microphone placement used during recording.

No doubt about the microphone placement, but also the mixing and mastering can have an impact. I can't remember who but someone suggested a classical recording which I was unable to find that used a three mike arrangement where the soundstage and image of the orchestra was unusually good.

I have lept my speakers in the corners for now, and the only real problem is that same one I have if I sit in the first few rows at the symphony. The sound stage appears much wider than if I am near the back of the room, given a good room that is.

I am trying to secure either a La Scalla or a Belle to give the center channel thing another go. Even considering putting the same tweeter horn on top to match the two corner speakers. Also thought of going with K402s to see if the imaging and soundstage improves throughout the room.

Thanks for the comments.

At least one person on the forum has 3 Jubs in his home theater and is very happy with them. His name might be Hendricks ... try a search in the Home theater section.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll look it up.

In the meantime I have installed a high tech, high density center imaging focusing array. Enjoy

post-48022-13819854617972_thumb.jpg

In the meantime I have installed a high tech, high density center imaging focusing array. Enjoy

O.K., what is that really?

The best phantom center I ever had was a cavernous fireplace that was dead center between the speakers in a two channel system. People would often mention the soloist in the fireplace.

How do you keep the moveable wooden louvers on your windows from rattling with the bass?

O.K., what is that really?

An array of 100% organic long staple cotton. Ginned and bailed in three sizes, ideally for a three way system. [;)]

How do you keep the moveable wooden louvers on your windows from rattling with the bass?

It's not a problem at less than 105db. They also act as light filters which improves my mood and enhances music enjoyment.

It's not a problem at less than 105db. They also act as light filters which improves my mood and enhances music enjoyment.

They might be slightly diffusing (of sound).

I enjoy the occasional peak of 102 dB as shown on a Radio Shack meter, C, "fast," which, according to PWK, is probably more like 115 dB for an instant, unread due to needle ballistics. It took me a while to find all the rattles in the room, as well as a few two rooms away.