"Loudness War" and the Dynamic Range (DR) Database - some observations

Chris A

Humm...I guess I'll have to honor my commitment.  I've been a little sidetracked on the K-402 Multiple Entry Horn thing.

Dropbox? Google Drive?  Something else?  Opinions/lessons learned? 

Burning and shipping music CDs about isn't a good approach.  I'm thinking flac files, and the user can convert to any other format that they want.  The idea is for each person to own their own CDs or bought download files (or proof thereof), and the unmastered files can be provided back to them, i.e., both parties own the music.  But this requires a closed network...by invite.  That way it's legit and relatively secure.

Chris

I've found that upward expanders are very difficult to use well, and the more de-compression you're dealing with, the more difficult to get a good result.

Fully agree.  I've been using DBX since 1976 and find vinyl worse than CDs without it.  In fact, I've compared listening without range restoration to be almost as bad as no RIAA. 

But it took years to get it right.  Now, I don't even think about it, but just a couple of seconds at the controls and it's good. 

Dave

What is needed is something like the CD databases, but with a respository for files that could be loaded to a standard audio program like Audacity (whose programmers, I believe, would likely add support for such files if the database existed) so that skills at Chris level are needed only on CDs not yet fixed. 

Dave

Tell you what: the window of opportunity has opened.  It won't stay open for long before I can say that I held up my end of the deal.

Multiple-entry horns are really spectacular to listen to: I'd like a few more of them in my listening room... :emotion-14:

Chris :D

• Like 1

I believe that Craig (mustang guy) has helped me get going on Google Drive--it's actually very easy once the sharing command menu is found (right mouse button).

Send me a PM if you're interested in a particular album for unmastering.  If anyone else is willing to share their unmastered files, let me know that, too. Probably the best way to do it is to send a PM

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought A Night at the Opera, 1991 CD version, from Amazon Marketplace for $0.01 (plus $3.99 shipping) since I've never owned anything from this band before. 

Very interesting to listen to...after unmastering.  This album was mastered with way too much high end.  Assuming that you haven't introduced a "house curve" in your setup to arbitrarily decrease your in-room HFs, you will easily hear that excess HF SPL, too.

(Jubilee digital crossover settings are set up for anechoically flat response above ~500 Hz: I haven't had to change that reference to listen to my music.)

Queen_A_Night_At_The_Opera.png

Chris

• 7 months later...

An interesting JAES article written ~7 months after this thread was started: http://emmanuelderuty.com/pages/publications/2014_DerutyTardieu_JAES.pdf

It's a bit more difficult to read than this thread, but the article sheds more light into the events in the Loudness War, and provides greater insights into "macro" vs. "micro" dynamic range measures. 

Chris