expensive cables.....i don't get it

Scrappydue

so i look everyday on audiogon for cool gear and there are always "deals" on cable. all kinds. power cables that are 1,000$ and up. why? i don't get it at all. how good can it get? even budget stuff like audioquest just seems like a huge rip off. anyone on here have any measured side by sides with our beloved klipsch speakers? speaker cables, hdmi, you name it. if it makes a difference i would be interested to know.

I will submit to this. I have some expensive audio cables for my speaks. The speaker cable I use is Gibralter Bi-Wire 72DBS speaker cable from audioquest. It is the only piece that made a big difference to me. I chose these because I had some long runs to my L,C,R from my amp placed in the corner. I will also go to say that I purchased expensive HDMi calbes also audioquest and to be honest there were no difference for the HDMI. I sold them recently and switched to the monoprice Red mere cables for my new projector. I wont be buying expensive cables again. Love monorpice and their 25 power cables work extremely well also. So im +1 for monoprice and against the expensive HDMI cables. I only heard some improvement with the Audioquest biwire speaker cable.

I only heard some improvement with the Audioquest biwire speaker cable.

did you measure any of this or blind test it? i only ask cause we all buy stuff we think will improve our systems in all reality we probably tell ourselves it makes a difference, but on paper it makes no different at all.

I've got a pair of MIT Terminator 6 in storage. Bought back in '98 for ~$100. Too short of a length to allow correct speaker placement, so there they sit until I get a bedroom / garage setup going.

Too expensive to simply toss, but I couldn't hear any difference anyway when they were hooked up. Certainly didn't work any miracles with my old Yamaha receiver, I'll tell you that much.

Mine was a blind test so for all I know It may be identical if measured to my old speaker cable. I think normally they run for around $1000 and I had to have 3 of them for the L,C,R. I nabbed them brand new from a guy here in Charleston that sold all 3 to me for 200 dollars. I needed speaker cable anyway so for that price it was worth it to me. After selling the HDMI Cables for next to what I bougth them I will only buy the monoprice cables from now on.

Lots of articles out there showing how expensive cables don't make a difference. Shoot, it's actually really not difficult to even make your own if you buy the right stuff. People buy the expensive stuff mostly because they don't know any better. We are a society that's bred to think that more expensive = better, so why wouldn't that cross over into cables as well. There is a huge profit margin on that stuff, so that's why stores like BB always try to throw that in there on the sale.

I think it was 1000 for a pair so they were around 1500 for all 3 I think is the price for 8 cables. I paid 200 per piece so 600 for them. They were long runs though 20 footers. . Guy was also selling some top notch audioquest interconnects for insane prices but I already had interconnects. Probably should have bought them and sold them on ebay. I think he had a divorce or something and was selling all his stuff. He had some nice B&W towers for sale but I couldnt convince the wife to let me buy them. He didnt even have anything hooked up he was having his room built and I think they split up. Its a shame when things happen like that

Lots of articles out there showing how expensive cables don't make a difference. Shoot, it's actually really not difficult to even make your own if you buy the right stuff. People buy the expensive stuff mostly because they don't know any better. We are a society that's bred to think that more expensive = better, so why wouldn't that cross over into cables as well. There is a huge profit margin on that stuff, so that's why stores like BB always try to throw that in there on the sale.

I've actually read a lot of similar articles. In all of them, the conclusion was that there was really no reason to spend the extra money on cables. I think a few even used the Monoprice cables in the tests. I'll keep my cheap old monoprice cables...they've done well for me so far.

• Moderators

we all buy stuff we think will improve our systems in all reality we probably tell ourselves it makes a difference, but on paper it makes no different at all.

The opposite can be true as well. Buy something because it looks good on paper only to find out it sounds not so good in your room.

so i look everyday on audiogon for cool gear and there are always "deals" on cable. all kinds. power cables that are 1,000$ and up. why? i don't get it at all. how good can it get? even budget stuff like audioquest just seems like a huge rip off. anyone on here have any measured side by sides with our beloved klipsch speakers? speaker cables, hdmi, you name it. if it makes a difference i would be interested to know.

Here's my response: (Courtesy of Paul W. Klipsch)

post-13167-1381983204874_thumb.jpg

The guy that selling this set-up will throw in $2000 worth of cables, two tickets to next years "Final Four" and a chia pet. What a deal...

Definitive Technology BP7000SC Floor-Standing Bipolar Super-Tower Loudspeakers with Built-in Powered 1800 Watt 14" SuperCube Reference Subwoofer