Lions (Genalex) and Tigers (Shuguang) and Bears (Sovtec) oh my.

germerikan

I dont think this will be an easy question, and I realize oppinions are like a rectum, everyone has one. But looking at price differences for tubes, in my case KT88´s what is the big difference? Aren´t they made to MILSPEC and if they reach this all is good?

I have a new Tubed CD player and have heard inserting a round of KT88´s really make it shine. The price differences however is making me dizzy. From Electro Harmonix starting at $34 a piece up to EAT which run around $1395 for a matched quad making them $348 a piece. Is that much price making that much a difference?

This is my first dabble in Tubes and noob would be an understatement. Any information would be greatly appriciated.

A CD player that uses KT88s?

Mine uses 6922's. One per channel.

I understand that...A 6922 is a signal tube of the 6DJ8 family and commonly used in tube CD players. Other types are used, but they are usually signal type tubes. A KT88 is a pentode (or beam tube) output tube, which I really don't understand why it would be used in a CD player.

The KT88s may be used as buffer tubes in the CDP, but it seems a expensive way to go about it...

Not to open a can of worms, but... I've been looking for a tube cd player and since it is mentioned here I'll bring the subject up. (Yes, I know that this is subjective), but what is the "feel" that you get with a unit with tubes? Are they best used with a tube setup alone, or can one be integrated in to a SS system? Any recommendations?

Not to open a can of worms, but... I've been looking for a tube cd player and since it is mentioned here I'll bring the subject up. (Yes, I know that this is subjective), but what is the "feel" that you get with a unit with tubes? Are they best used with a tube setup alone, or can one be integrated in to a SS system? Any recommendations?

My tube CD player is the only component I own that's not SS.

The last CD player that I experienced with a tube output stage was the Ah Tjoeb which is no longer made as far as I know. It sounded very nice and, unlike most CD players, could output as much as 5 volts making it very suitable to directly drive a power amplifier since it has a variable output (i.e. no preamp needed.) Perhaps some companies are still offering something similar. The difference in the sound is similar to the differences experienced when going from solid state to tube amplification or preamplification. It's something which really can't be described- you need to hear it yourself and draw your own conclusions. Any combination of tube and solid state equipment can be used anywhere in the signal chain. Some folks like to insert a unity gain tube buffer (i.e. it neither adds nor subtracts signal) between their CD player and the preamp or amp claiming that it makes the system sound more "tube like." Steve Deckert wrote a little piece about this when he came out with his Zbox some years back:

http://www.decware.com/paper60.htm

So, if you get the opportunity to check out such equipment you may find that it does indeed change your listening preferences---- Maynard

The last CD player that I experienced with a tube output stage was the Ah Tjoeb which is no longer made as far as I know. It sounded very nice and, unlike most CD players, could output as much as 5 volts making it very suitable to directly drive a power amplifier since it has a variable output (i.e. no preamp needed.) Perhaps some companies are still offering something similar. The difference in the sound is similar to the differences experienced when going from solid state to tube amplification or preamplification. It's something which really can't be described- you need to hear it yourself and draw your own conclusions. Any combination of tube and solid state equipment can be used anywhere in the signal chain. Some folks like to insert a unity gain tube buffer (i.e. it neither adds nor subtracts signal) between their CD player and the preamp or amp claiming that it makes the system sound more "tube like." Steve Deckert wrote a little piece about this when he came out with his Zbox some years back:

http://www.decware.com/paper60.htm

So, if you get the opportunity to check out such equipment you may find that it does indeed change your listening preferences---- Maynard

Great... Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can audition.

I've used a couple of the Dutch Marantz conversions. Both the Heart CDP and the AH! Njoe Tjoebs. They really sound good to my ears.

a couple of thoughts to consider. Had a good friend on the forum get a Heart CDP and he was really underwhelmed by the sound.

another forum friend just reminded me this week that Roy Delgado used a $30 Walmart CDP in the Jubilee demos at the Hope factory.

It could be I am being fed a load of [bs] at the moment it uses 2 6N8P´s. Like I said a tube noob and I will probably have to do some reading. I know how helpful and knowledgeable everyone here is however and thought I would ask.

Boxx, I was on the line myself but the wife bought it for me and although used is in pristine condition. I have 3 outputs, tubed, SS and direct digital. I must say the difference between the 3 are night and day. In comparison to my old DVD player when using the tubed output everything got clearer and 3d, that is the only way I can explain it. The SS and direct digital are no slouch in themselves but do sound clinical in comparison to the tubed. Unfortunately the handbook is in Chinese ( A German dealer lets them be built to his specs.) so I can´t do any reading if it is detrimental to have all three outputs connected at once to do fast A,B,C comparisons.This is by no means a top of the line player but I am very happy with it. Here are the specs.

http://www.destiny-audio.com/cms/en/cd-player/art.html

Hmmm now I need to know if the KT88´s would be a direct swap for the 6N8P´s. Like I said a can of worms.

Ok did a little reading (should not trust some people) and the KT88 is not a replacement. Sorry to waste your time. As far as I have read a 6SN7GT or 6N8S could be used for rolling. Not that this decision is any easier they start at $15 and go up to $160 as well.^^

Actually I am happy with the sound but I am thinking the tubes installed now are probably not the highest quality and if I can get better for reasonable coin why not try to upgrade.

Ok did a little reading (should not trust some people) and the KT88 is not a replacement. Sorry to waste your time. As far as I have read a 6SN7GT or 6N8S could be used for rolling. Not that this decision is any easier they start at $15 and go up to $160 as well.^^

Actually I am happy with the sound but I am thinking the tubes installed now are probably not the highest quality and if I can get better for reasonable coin why not try to upgrade.

Anyone lurking these forums is wasting their time by default...no need to apologize.

That makes more sense, a 6SN7/6N8S is used for output/buffer tubes. 6SN7 is a rather common tube, I have a big box of 6SN7. But I wouldn't pay $160 for one...or two for that matter. Take your time and shop around, you should be able to find a good price.

Mike

Boxx, I was on the line myself but the wife bought it for me and although used is in pristine condition. I have 3 outputs, tubed, SS and direct digital. I must say the difference between the 3 are night and day. In comparison to my old DVD player when using the tubed output everything got clearer and 3d, that is the only way I can explain it. The SS and direct digital are no slouch in themselves but do sound clinical in comparison to the tubed. Unfortunately the handbook is in Chinese ( A German dealer lets them be built to his specs.) so I can´t do any reading if it is detrimental to have all three outputs connected at once to do fast A,B,C comparisons.This is by no means a top of the line player but I am very happy with it. Here are the specs.

http://www.destiny-audio.com/cms/en/cd-player/art.html

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out...

These people are excellent...good choice of products and great service. Last tube I ordered was a Genelex Gold Lion 6922. I ordered it around 3pm and it was making music in my living room by 10am the following day, thanks to FedEx and Tube depot's stellar customer service. The tube is working well. Good luck with your tube adventures!!

http://tubedepot.com/

Anyone lurking these forums is wasting their time by default...no need to apologize.

That makes more sense, a 6SN7/6N8S is used for output/buffer tubes. 6SN7 is a rather common tube, I have a big box of 6SN7. But I wouldn't pay $160 for one...or two for that matter. Take your time and shop around, you should be able to find a good price.

Mike

I have a preamp that uses 6sn7 tubes. I replaced the stock Electro-Harmonix tubes with some vintage Ken-Rad tubes and the sound improved. There are plenty of choices out there, and which brand will sound better is going to purely subjective. I prefer vintage tubes over new production tubes, but that's just my opinion.

I have a Shanling CD player with tube output (396a), and I like the sound. The tube output makes the cd player sound more warm, like an analog output instead of a digital output. But of course the rest of the cd player has to have good quality parts to sound it's best.