IE 10 auto-installed, site login issues.

Islander

Last week, my PC started acting strangely, and I was unable to log in to the forums. I'd type in my name and password, but when I hit Enter, the login page would refresh with blank fields.

I also noticed an "x" at the end of the name field, and an "eye" icon at the end of the password field.

This morning, I Googled the issues and discovered that IE 10 had installed itself without my knowledge, and when I uninstalled it, Internet Explorer disappeared altogether.

I resorted to System Restore, so now I'm back to IE 9. I notice it has no "allow automatic updating" option, but IE 10 does. That suggests that IE 10 may sneak in again.

Has anyone else run across this? I've kept using IE because it formats normally on the Klipsch forum, while I often see users of other browsers having formatting problems and posting big blocks of text. I don't want to run into that problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

To check, just click on the Tools icon under the "close page" X at the top right, then click on "About Internet Explorer", and you'll see which version you're running.

I think it was a manual update before, but now Microsoft is updating everybody, with no notice. I think I got updated last Friday.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll continue running IE 9 for the time being, but now I have a better idea what to do if the problem comes up again.

Have any of you guys tried Chrome? I'm way on the back side of the curve with this stuff.

With IE10 I have the same problem with login (thanks for the tip with compatibility mode), the problem with Chrome is formatting. If you want to WYSIWYG you can´t use it. From what I have researched it is the forum and not the browser, I don´t have problems with chrome on other forums.

Firefox I have been having problems with the flashplayer and youtube videos but works good with the forum.

• Moderators

Unfortunately, as browsers are updated and this forum remains stagnant, there will be issues.

Good news is we now have a web programmer on staff, and after a more daunting task is completed by the end of this summer, he will begin to tackle the forum.

I know you guys don't like change, but get ready for it. I don't think there is a way around it. You've been warned. [:)]

I had the same issues with IE10. Besides the login problem on this site the program would shut down at random during browsing sessions when on other sites, compatibility mode or not. I restored the previous configuration and all is back to normal. I notice on the last update (I set my updates to manually install) there was a security update for IE9 so I'm going to stay with it and avoid IE10. I am disgusted with Microshaft's issuance of untested software updates, once again.

Last night, when I shut down my machine, there were 8 updates that loaded first. I suspected IE 10 might be in there, and this morning, there it was again, and I was again unable to log into this forum.

I tried switching to Compatibility View, but didn't realize it had to be done on this site's tab, so wasted quite a bit of time reading about other IE 10 bugs and users' frustrations with them. IE 9 mode didn't work, either.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I switched to IE 10 Compatibility Mode from this site's tab, and here I am. Phew!

One other thing. As I mentioned, if you go to 'About Internet Explorer', you'll see a box marked "Install new versions automatically". If you uncheck that box, you'll be asked to confirm that you're sure you want to take that risky step that may not be Recommended by Microsoft. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but you get the idea. I went ahead and unchecked the box, so I don't think anymore updates will sneak past me.

Hopefully, now there will be no more glitches and frustrating annoyances from MS for a while.

I know you guys don't like change, but get ready for it. I don't think there is a way around it. You've been warned. Smile

If this is the same kind of CHANGE Obama is giving us, then have no fears, as there will be no real change, and only a different bus driver.

Islander, try using a different web browser. Google Chrome, Fire Fox, Safari, etc...

I have a bad feeling about forum change. I seldom see forum change as good although it will always be. I used to go to agon everyday, for 10 years, I have not been in months, even took it out of favorites.

Hmm. I closed the all the open IE pages I had, because the memory use had climbed too high, as it usually does after a few hours, and had to go through the F12 Compatibility View dance again.

Thanks for upgrading my Internet experience, Microsoft!

Go to the windows icon in the lower left of your screen and click. Select "System Restore". Click "next" and you will see a screen with restore points on it. Select the "Windows Update Critical Update" restore point and step through the process (will take several minutes to complete). When it is finished you will be back to IE9. Set Windows Update to manual update and deselect the IE10 update. You will get an update notice whenever you turn your computer because it will want you to update to IE10, ignore it. Whenever you get the monthly update notification, check the updates you want (probably all except IE10) and manually update.

That's good advice, Don, but the login issues are on this site only. Maybe that forum update that Amy referred to will fix it. I'm a bit annoyed right now, because the System Restore I did yesterday caused my latest music and news bookmarks to disappear, and I didn't write down the names of a couple of obscure bands.

Thanks, though.