Audio / Video Challenge

Quiet_Hollow

Using the complete knowledge of all things audio and electrical, post an actual YouTube video of your system that sounds better than my 'ol clapped-out $700 budget Yamaha system shown in the video below.

Figure a couple weeks to let people get things filmed and uploaded, then how about put 'em to a poll here on the forum. Think it sounds good to you? Let the forum golden ears judge and determine who they think has captured the better sound. [;)]

I know a few people here are excellent with cameras, others with technical gear, and some simply have trophy systems. How about seeing if you can put it all together and make a decent sounding live video recording? Already got something uploaded? Post a link to it. Let's hear it.

A little bit about my video, this is what a powered subwoofer hot-mess sounds like. The bass is AFU because it's not set to the correct level and filter point, nor are the mains and sub in-phase in the x-over region. Should be pretty easy for someone to trump this:

The gear is listed in the video.

Let'em rip.

P.S. - Videos subject to critique by your peers who may not exercise reasonable tact or sugar-coat things by virtue of status. After the poll is closed, BS buttons will be available at the front door. Wear a jacket, bring your ears.

Props to both of you... good stuff.

Okay... for you QH, a Little ST!

Star Trek

Funny, even though this is hand held and an ipod, the sound the Amp makes at volume control #26 is really nice. and the amp starts at #30(start up quite setting) and goes all the way down to #0(loudest)

Your system sounds small and a little tinny. That's because it's being played back through my cheap computer speakers! I think the only way to do this kind of comparison is if you had your computer hooked up to your system, which obviously I don't.

I have a great sounding 2 channel system in my basement that I would love to show off, but I don't think it could be captured on a video and sound as good as it does in person.

I do agree, however, that some of the earlier electronics can and will kick butt over some of the newer stuff out there!

how would hooking up your computer to your system be proper. you would be bypassing the speakers, which is the point.

on my computer speakers, all systems so far sound pretty darn good even though mono mic's were used.

I think the best way to hear a reasonable representation of what his speakers sound like in his room, would be to record them binaurally with good mics and then play it back on high quality headphones. Otherwise the sound of the speakers in the room is totally lost in the translation through cheap mics on his end, and cheap pc speakers on the playback end. Not to mention the superimposition of the second room's acoustics.

I have been trying to record in stereo with two mics in an X-Y config, but I'm getting funky midrange dip. Even when I am right where the mics are located, it sounds really really good. Still trying to get it to where palyback (in headphones) sounds the same to me and go from there.

Bruce

Props to both of you... good stuff.

Okay... for you QH, a Little ST!

Star Trek

Funny, even though this is hand held and an ipod, the sound the Amp makes at volume control #26 is really nice. and the amp starts at #30(start up quite setting) and goes all the way down to #0(loudest)

Schu - did you design the rug/carpet? Really nice if you did (nice if you didn't too), but I seem to recall you did that sort of thing.

Clever with the 3D and shadows.

Bruce

Schu - did you design the rug/carpet? Really nice if you did (nice if you didn't too), but I seem to recall you did that sort of thing.

Clever with the 3D and shadows.

Bruce

yes sir... that is one of my designs.

and thanks for noticing by the way.

I have been trying to record in stereo with two mics in an X-Y config, but I'm getting funky midrange dip.

Try ORTF instead. And if you've got omnis, use a 180 degree spread and see what that sounds like over your headphones. Wink
I have a few things up my sleeve to try, still. Thanks...

Bruce

Finally got a recording that when played back on my headphones and pc speakers sounds the way I hear it in my room. Tried some omnis, and they worked pretty well, even though they are only 80-13kHz. Ended up with a pair of cardiod dynamics in an ORTF config. I'll drop some video over the audio and try to get it done over the weekend.

Wish I had some ribbons... All my mics that I have in pairs are dynamics,so we'll see how it comes out. The only pair of condensers I have has one with that needs repair.

Partly posting this so it doesn't drop off the radar...

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

I knew you would pose the question... Been too busy, but I'll get it done. Finally got something that sounds pretty close when played back on headphones or my desktop pc system. The pc system is using an Onkyo receiver and JBL Control 25 speakers.

Bruce

edit: I guess I already said that... [:(] Well, the wife is back after a month home to the Philippines, so... one of these days.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while. Don't want this thread to disappear into oblivion. [:P]

Shot two videos of the system before I put it all away in storage. That's right, the equipment arrangement in these videos is no longer setup.[:(]..and it's already being missed. emotion-9.gif

First video:

I'll have the second one available once I get it rendered and uploaded.

For those familiar with these tunes...enjoy! [H]