Buying From Craiglist

Loudly Does It

I wonder if I hold the distance record for CL out of town sales? Anyone beat 17.5 hours round trip? I drove from Meadville, PA to Sparta, MI for a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19s that were one-owner, all original components, great cosmetics (walnut) at a *very* good price.

I would recommend phoning and having an extensive but polite conversation with the seller beforehand. Write down ahead of time all the questions you have. I did that and was satisfied, after some conversation, that the seller was trustworthy. I found the sale via zoomthelist where one can search CL nationally. I arranged to audition the speakers prior to purchase. I would never have purchased them without an extensive audition, visual inspection and so on. I took money with me and it was understood from the get-go, that I would buy them if there were no concerns raised by differences between the descriptions and what I saw and heard.

I know of only one recourse if something isn't satisfactory--don't buy them.

Hope this helps,

George

I got close last year . . . 15 hour round trip (not including two hours at the seller's house) for a pair of rock bottom priced Belles in fantastic shape I saw on CL! I had one day off in the middle of the week to get it done. The seller had 20 calls and a hundred emails during my drive down. We had talked on the phone several times the morning I saw them and then I hooked up the trailer and jumped into my truck. He was knowledgable and had a house full of KGs, Heresies, and Conrnwalls. The wife just did not like the Belles when they moved into their new home. So, they sat is his garage for a year in packing wrap. Outside of a little glue from tape (which came off with lemon oil) and one missing badge (since replaced). Outstanding and beautiful OO Belles, one each doing center channel duty in two different setups.

I wonder if I hold the distance record for CL out of town sales? Anyone beat 17.5 hours round trip? I drove from Meadville, PA to Sparta, MI

I grew up in the Franklin, PA area so near you.

I have you beat a few times. I have bought (and sold) a lot from CL and driven more miles than I like to admit. I have gotten a lot of good deals and have met a lot of nice people.

Trip 1: I drove from the Chicago area to Pittsburgh for 2 pair of black KLF-20s in great condition for a great price. I drove there starting at midnight, picked them up and drove back. It was a very long day.

Trip 2: I drove from the Chicago area to Pittsburgh and picked up a pair of clear oak Chorus II. I drove 2 hours north and spent the night with relatives. The next day I drove to Washington D.C. and picked up a pair of oil oak Chorus in boxes. Finally, I drove straight home to Chicago.

Trip 3: I drove from Chicago to the in-laws in Mobile, AL with my wife and daughter. We spent a few days. I had them fly home so that I would have room to stop by Jackson, MS on the way home to pick up a pair of black KLF-30s, KV-4, KSW-200, and Pioneer receiver. Very tired when I got home.

All of my drives were in a Toyota Prius, so the gas was cheap. I always call to say I am on the road to make sure everything was still available and to ensure they would still be there when I got there.

You can find some great deals on CL, if you are patient and lucky. However, be careful and be prepared to walk away from a deal if needed. Luckily, I have never needed to walk away from a deal after a long drive (knock on wood).

Best of luck.

I have the Prius V and it will fit a pair of La Scala, tested a few times. I measured and it should be able to fit a pair of Belles.

Only long trip I didn't do in a Prius was to Detroit area for Klipschorns, that required the minivan.

Trying not to buy anymore until I sell some of my 14 pairs or find a good price on some Belles.