Late to the party: Cyndy Lauper - Memphis Blues

Daddy Dee

There are plenty of things that get past my radar, and some may not be surprising. Who knew Cyndi Lauper recorded Memphis Blues and it was released in 2010?

Ran across her name in a news report on the White House Memphis Blues evening and thought what the heck? I've always thought Lauper had alot of heart, but never had purchased any of her music.

I purchased the tracks on Amazon after listening to samples on Youtube. Have to say I'm impressed with those she's teamed up with on this project: Allan Toussaint and BB King.

Just a couple of thoughts on Lauper, the music is good, her voice is mature and her vocals are credible and nicely done. She doesn't take herself too seriously and actually approaches the tradition of the blues with some commendable respect, humility and seemingly genuine appreciation for the depth of the tradition.

Seems like an awful lot of what i see/hear in the media are artists who are really oversinging their material, from the national anthem to whatever is leaves me with some subtantial cringe factor. It's refreshing to not hear that on this album. Just relaxed sounding tunes.

Here's what i think is a pretty good review in DailyBeast:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/blogs/pop-vox/2010/07/08/cyndi-lauper-sings-the-memphis-blues.html

it's not the most powerful blues album ever, but it is a fun enjoyable listen, imo.

post-11993-13819832167124_thumb.jpg

Dee, I purchased this one by Cyndy Lauper a couple of months ago. I got it on a "lark" and have grown to really like it.

517qYTzhaLL._SX300__PJautoripBadge,Botto

I'm a fan, but this album brought me here. Wonderful songs from the great American songbook, great musicians, great guest appearances. Great everything, except the sound was way too brittle, bright and hot.

I wanted to have this album sound good so bad, I started purchased different receivers, different versions of Klipsch, different everythings. Thousands of lives and many dollars later, I realized that the engineers on this album should have been taken outside and shot. I don't know if it's compression a hot mix, whatever. Ultimately, it's a spent opportunity that simply crys out for a re-master .

I haven't listened to it in years because it breaks my heart everything I listen to it. Hopefully she used better people on her Memphis release.

Dee, I purchased this one by Cyndy Lauper a couple of months ago. I got it on a "lark" and have grown to really like it.

I'm a fan, but this album brought me here. Wonderful songs from the great American songbook, great musicians, great guest appearances. Great everything, except the sound was way too brittle, bright and hot.

I wanted to have this album sound good so bad, I started purchased different receivers, different versions of Klipsch, different everythings. Thousands of lives and many dollars later, I realized that the engineers on this album should have been taken outside and shot. I don't know if it's compression a hot mix, whatever. Ultimately, it's a spent opportunity that simply crys out for a re-master .

I haven't listened to it in years because it breaks my heart everything I listen to it. Hopefully she used better people on her Memphis release.

Here you go guys....

4133tu8MB1L.jpg

I have the CD and it stinks as far as SQ, but the DVD is great! [Y][Y]

I picked it up on a whim in 2004 and was blown away by her vocals. This little girl can SING!!! yes.gif

If you get a chance, pick up the DVD, you will not be disapointed.

...and thanks for the heads up on "Memphis Blues", I'll add it to my list. [:P]

Dennie

Here you go guys....

4133tu8MB1L.jpg

I have the CD and it stinks as far as SQ, but the DVD is great! YesYes

I picked it up on a whim in 2004 and was blown away by her vocals. This little girl can SING!!! yes.gif

...and thanks for the heads up on "Memphis Blues", I'll add it to my list. Stick out tongue

Dennie

Thanks for the tip on the DVD. I'll check it out.

Here you go guys....

4133tu8MB1L.jpg

...and thanks for the heads up on "Memphis Blues", I'll add it to my list. Stick out tongue

Dennie

Thanks for the tip on the DVD. I'll check it out.

You Sir are welcome! The sound quality is so much better. Which it should be! [^o)]

I think there are a few more songs also. [Y]

Dennie

Here you go guys....

4133tu8MB1L.jpg

Dennie

Nice. So now you tell me. Where were you in 2004 when I began my quest? Empires have risen and fallen in my pursuit of suitable playback on this record. Millions of innocent lives lost, economies ruined and we avoided a full disco revival only by the slimmest of margins.

Does a dvd playback on an Ah Tjoeb?

If not I predict a rise in natural disasters.

I'll have to check this out. She won me over which surprised me. I'll have to check this out.

Not sure if you guys have seen this but she covered Strawberry Fields in Central Park in 2001 for the John Lennon tribute which was to take place soon after 9/11 so it went from a Lennon tribute to a show for New York. She does a great job.

Bit of trivia but Strawberry Fields started off titled Not Too Bad.

seti. thanks for the link to Lauper singing Strawberry Fields. She did a good job with that.

was that a dulcimer she was playing on her lap? thought that might be the same instrument you see in the ozarks. different playing style, of course.

seti. thanks for the link to Lauper singing Strawberry Fields. She did a good job with that.

was that a dulcimer she was playing on her lap? thought that might be the same instrument you see in the ozarks. different playing style, of course.

Not just a dulcimer but an electric dulcimer. It looks like she is playing correctly just not playing all hillbilly bluegrass.