HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

This is the stone for the fireplace and beside the screen.
I laid it out to verify coverage. I didn't take the time to lay it out pretty.

I have just over 150 sq ft of this.

Stone1.JPG

I picked these up this week. They are accoustic cube panels. I tore into one of them and they have 2 layers of 1" rigid fiberglass insulation.
looks just like OC703 to me, but much cheaper.

Panel.JPG

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I just read over your bathroom remodel thread at AVS that Youth linked to, amazing work! The tile work on the shower wall is awesome! By looking at what you did there, I have no doubt your theater will be awesome.

I agree. Wake is pretty handy. He's typically my go to person when I'm trying to figure out how to do something mechanical. I'm blessed in the area of computers, but not so much in the area of craftsmanship. Guess we all are gifted differently (and that's a good thing).

The stone looks great. Nice visual of what it will look like on the wall.

You gotta finish trimming out your wife's bathroom first or there may not be any HT Upgrading. [:P]

So i tried out 8ft last night and that is really close. Its kinda cool but i don't think it would be something you would want permanent. I could be wrong but i think a 125" 16x9 screen would be taller but not as wide? So that might make it easier to watch that close not sure.

I really appreciate the input.

Your 2.35:1 -125" screen is the same width (according to an online calculator) as a 16:9 at 132"

I have never noticed something being to tall, always to wide.

125" at 16:9 will be 5" narrower than your test.

120" would be right at 10" narrower.

Glad to know it wasn't way to big.

How does your 100" look from that far? Does it seem to small?

Small...no. Do I think it could be bigger, definitely.

I think the perspective Is slightly altered for some reason when laying down.

If I end up going a few inches to big I can always adjust zoom and mask it down.

The family lays on the beanbag. Guest tend to sit in the chairs.

They are around 12'

Definitely could be bigger for them.

if 100 is to small then i would try 120 or 125. You have a nice projector so being a little to close in some spots would be better than to small everywhere imo. And your probably going with a low gain screen being a AT screen probably 1 or 1.1 gain? So that will hide pixels better that a high gain screen.

I spent the day working around here and soon as I figured out the screen size I started getting things ready to lay stone.

I hung up a big piece of muslin and did the "bedsheet test" that was recomended. 130" looks fantastic! At 16:9.

It really changes the look of the wall from a wall with a screen to a screen wall.

Shaun was the guy that helped me build my riser. I called him one day and said, "Man, I'm stuck....I can't figure this out." The next thing I know, the following weekend he loaded up his truck with tools and family and drove 600 miles one way for a "vacation" and helped me for 2 or 3 days to finish out my risers. I was going to just build a box to put my rear seats on....but instead, we ended up adding steps, lighting, romex, power and two outlets on the front and we carpeted it. I say all that to say I'm glad you are finally here in the Klipsch forums. There are some great guys here in the forums as well that will truly enjoy watching your progress as you pimp out your HT.

Wowza! Sounds like a stellar dude and great friend :)

After hanging up that muslin sheet....my bet is you already have the spandex screen on order. Big Smile

Hahaha, muslin is what I used for my test screen within the frame that I built. Looked absolutely horrendous. Moire everywhere. Somehow my guests didn't seem to mind when we test watched a flick. Something is definitely wrong with their eyes, lol. Last summer I was at another forum members home listening too and watching on his setup. Beautiful Lascala setup with all Mcintosh gear. Great projector, top of the line Oppo, but what really amazed me was the screen. His Lascalas were all behind it, the front three anyways, he had RS-7's for surrounds. No sound degradation at ALL. Amazing. When I got around to building my screen I PM'ed him for advice and info as to where he got his screen from. He directed me to Seymour's Center Stage XD AT (Acoustically Transparent) screen. Win and win. This stuff is awesome. Not cheap but definitely what you'd expect from the term Acoustically Transparent. As a side note I purchased enough for two screens, two rolls that is, as I had grand ambitions of installing two drop down screens. I've since opted out of my original plan and now have one roll left over. If Wake would like it at a discount lemme know before I sell it off. It's great stuff. I can get exact dimensions but it should be large enough to do almost 120", I think.

After hanging up that muslin sheet....my bet is you already have the spandex screen on order. Big Smile

Hahaha, muslin is what I used for my test screen within the frame that I built. Looked absolutely horrendous. Moire everywhere. Somehow my guests didn't seem to mind when we test watched a flick. Something is definitely wrong with their eyes, lol. Last summer I was at another forum members home listening too and watching on his setup. Beautiful Lascala setup with all Mcintosh gear. Great projector, top of the line Oppo, but what really amazed me was the screen. His Lascalas were all behind it, the front three anyways, he had RS-7's for surrounds. No sound degradation at ALL. Amazing. Went I got around to building my screen I PM'ed him for advice and info as to where he got his screen from. He directed me to Seymour's XD AT (Acoustically Transparent) screen. Win and win. This stuff is awesome. Not cheap but definitely what you'd expect from the term Acoustically Transparent. As a side note I purchased enough for two screens, two rolls that is, as I had grand ambitions of installing two drop down screens. I've since opted out of my original plan and now have one roll left over. If Wake would like it at a discount lemme know before I sell it off. It's great stuff. I can get exact dimensions but it should be large enough to do almost 120", I think.

I also give a big thumbs up to Seymour screens. Its the only screen i have owned so not much to compare it to but very happy. The AT part is great not even a single db lost with it. It is spendy though but from what i read its a top brad for the AT screens.

^^^^Just realized I was talking about him as if he weren't here, whoopsies. Wake, if you're interested in true AT material just send me a PM and we can discuss. I did all the research on AT screens last summer and had considered the spandex route myself. I'd be happy to discuss all of which I found but suffice it to say, I didn't go with it. Although I AM still considering it for an outdoor screen in an environment more susceptible to moisture, damage, etc. Its not the best route for a permanent install in a room that we've spent big bucks to make "perfect". My two cents.

• Moderators

Just realized I was talking about him as if he weren't here, whoopsies.

Too funny. [:D] Were you having an out of body experience there Trev? [:P]

I've considered going to an AT screen myself. I want wake to have an opportunity to buy your Seymour material first. If he passes, let me know. I "might" be interested.....still trying to decide if I am going to go that route with my HT.

Too funny. Big Smile Were you having an out of body experience there Trev? Stick out tongue

I've considered going to an AT screen myself. I want wake to have an opportunity to buy your Seymour material first. If he passes, let me know. I "might" be interested.....still trying to decide if I am going to go that route with my HT.

Psst-It's the way to go. Movie theaters do it for a reason I'm guessing, lol. Just trying to follow suit with a proven experience. I've heard it in the "big" theaters, and before owning my own had heard it in a smaller form factor, it works amazingly. What's better than the words actually coming out of the actors mouths when watching a flick? Not above, not below.....out of. Try it out, it speaks for itself. Literally.

Too funny. Big Smile Were you having an out of body experience there Trev? Stick out tongue

Pure pressure do it! do it! lol.