HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Sometimes I wish I was as handy as you are WJ!!!

Other times, I'm glad I'm not; or, I'd spend less time listening to Music, Movies & Football.

Thanks, I think you would just spend less money making nice places to listen to Music, Movies, and Football.

Somebody asked me recently how I learned how to do so much....By being so cheap I had no choice but to do it myself. ;-)

I do that with lots of stuff.

My Honda Shadow VT1100C Motorcycle. Bought a wrecked one and did the body work and repainted it. $5K bike for under 2k.

Bayliner 2050 Wakeboard boat. Engine problems, Rotten floors and ripped seats. Fully restored and customized over a winter. $20k boat ($40k if bought new) for $4K including rebuild.

In reality my Dad and Grandfather taught me a lot. When I was 17 my Dad and I cut cedar trees off Grandfathers land he helped me built my fiancé a cedar chest.

The only thing is when something breaks I can't just tell my wife we need a new one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

after knowing wake for many years, not only is he handy he's also extremely efficient and what he does. His brain is like a super computer that is continually processing and planning out his next steps even while he's cutting, routing etc. needless to say he gets the job done quick which makes for plenty ed time to enjoy his sweet HT

The Behringer EPX4000 came in yesterday. Plugged it up and confirmed what most are saying. It is a little loud.

Fan swap is a must since the rack is right next to the primary seating area.

3110SB-05W-B40-E00 from Digikey is recommended by several. It does have significantly lower CFM than the original, but higher than the 24CFM some are using.

The original Behringer fans in EPX4000 are:

• Bi-Sonic BP802524HL-03
  • 55 CFM
  • 40.9 db
  • 250 mA

Source of above info not from Behringer: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/48510-epx4000-fan-mod.html

• NMB Technologies 3110SB-05W-B40-E00
  • 36 CFM
  • 26 db
  • 60 mA

Extended Music at +90dB is expected on a regular basis.

4 Subs expected in the future. Running at 2ohm load.

Suggestions for a better fan welcome.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Don't worry about the CFM, just install the quieter one. Heat won't be an issue. Some people have just unplugged it and not had issues. I wouldn't recommend that however.

You need to remember that the amp really won't be working that hard even eventually wired at 2 Ohms. HT subwoofer duty is nothing like live audio i.e. DJ or live venue use.

Be sure to check orientation. If memory serves me correctly, they blow back to front. That being said, I've never figured out why they put a filter on the outlet side of the fan. Makes no sense to me.

I was talking to Youthman this morning and thought the same. I thought I got one with the fans in backwards.

Thinking aloud. I believe there's a gap between the fan and heat sink "tunnel" (for lack of a better word). You could probably make a shroud from the fan to the tunnel if you wanted to reverse flow. That way it would suck through the tunnel exclusively as opposed to sucking just random case air.

I was thinking the same about a pro amp and heat. You can set most pro amps on the asphalt in the summer and they will handle slamming all day.

This fan looks pretty good: P14751-ND

quieter with slightly higher CFM.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3110SB-05W-B20-E00/P14751-ND/2615564

Voltage - Rated 24VDC Size /

Dimension Square - 80mm L x 80mm H x 25mm W

Air Flow 26.1 CFM (0.739m³/min)

- Noise 19 dB(A)

Edited by WakeJunkie

That's pretty quiet. I have 17dB rated fans in my QSC's and you have to get right up on them to hear that they're on. As a matter of fact, I have 4 fans in my amps, one fan on my pre-pro and 2 exhaust fans, all in one cabinet. With all 7 running, they're barely audible close to the cabinet and inaudible from the seating position. Even if you strain to hear it on start up, you'll never hear it once the movie or music starts even if you try.

I went on the safe side.

Ordered two of these.

• NMB Technologies 3110SB-05W-B40-E00
  • 36 CFM
  • 26 db
  • 60 mA

15dB decrease should be significant.

I just couldn't talk myself into running less than half CFM into this thing.

If it is still to loud I can always swap them out.

Fan specs are based on free air spin, some are louder once placed in pressure or vacuum.

I recommend using fluid dynamic bearing models, they always seem to be quieter with equal rpm compared to ball bearing & sleeve bearing models.

If these fans are 12 volt rated i recommend Arctic or if you can spring some extra cash Noctura makes excellent products.

Just basing this on years of computer building experience and wanting quiet computers.

These brands make many sizes to fit most applications.

• Like 1