HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Hooked up everything last night for a test run and found that without a level converter I could get nothing out of the EPX4000.

Home Audio to ProAudio - Unbalanced to Balanced converter with +14dB boost turned all the way up got things working.

With RCA inputs I did not expect to need this. I had it for my Pro-Audio Mackie sub and will need it or another converter upstairs when I move it.

Also found that the Subs from FI that were supposed to be 4Ohm measure out to be 2.7 Ohms.

I emailed them, but have not heard back yet.

No switch on back like the EP-4000? I don't remember what it was called but it had a -4, +10 label or something like that. It's used just for this purpose.

- Input Sensitivity: 1 V

- Distortion: <0.01%

- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz, +0/-1 dB

- Voltage Gain: 35 dB

- Damping Factor: > 300 @ 8 Ohms

- Input impedance: 10 kOhms unbalanced, 20 kOhms balanced

- Signal-to-Noise: > 100 dBA

- Controls:

- Front: POWER switch, GAIN control (channel 1 and 2)

- Rear: MODE switch, X-over Switch, BRIDGE MODE switch

If it only takes one volt to drive it to max output, I wouldn't think you'd need a converter.

Sooooooooo, how did it sound with the converter?

The two rooms are not separated yet. You can still see the back of the subs from inside the room.

That being said it was still pretty impressive. The column is not in to fill the back of the box and seal to rear holes, before I covered them it was quite underwhelming. Once the holes were covered it was impressive. To early to make any real judgments, but I couldn't wait any longer I had to hear it bump...

I just read your whole thread, awesome job on everything you have done, it's looks spectacular. There's a lot of work, and a fair amount of money there. I hope to take on a HT project soon, I start by adding a basement to my house!

I'm not sure what you do for a profession, but you could be a contractor.

You should be proud….Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bill, glad to finally see a pic of your new Palladiums. Yummy bro. :D

When I was building my riser for my HT, I got stuck and called wakejunkie. I was hoping for advice on how to continue with the project....but instead, he asked, "What are you doing next weekend?". 600 miles later, he and his family came and stayed a few days while we worked on my riser together. I had designed a simple rectangular box with carpet. After his suggestions, we ended up adding insulation, a custom power cable, romex from the power cable to the two front wall outlets for the front row seats to plug into, steps on each side and step lighting. Could wake be a contractor.....heck yeah...easily. He makes an incredible friend as well.

• Like 1

Bill, glad to finally see a pic of your new Palladiums. Yummy bro. :D

When I was building my riser for my HT, I got stuck and called wakejunkie. I was hoping for advice on how to continue with the project....but instead, he asked, "What are you doing next weekend?". 600 miles later, he and his family came and stayed a few days while we worked on my riser together. I had designed a simple rectangular box with carpet. After his suggestions, we ended up adding insulation, a custom power cable, romex from the power cable to the two front wall outlets for the front row seats to plug into, steps on each side and step lighting. Could wake be a contractor.....heck yeah...easily. He makes an incredible friend as well.

Thanks, you don't think my speakers are too close together do you?!!!

Wake sounds like a terrific person, not many people would do that. In our world, people like that are hard to find, my Dad was like that.

I'll bet you paid him back with some speaker work huh?

I just read your whole thread, awesome job on everything you have done, it's looks spectacular. There's a lot of work, and a fair amount of money there. I hope to take on a HT project soon, I start by adding a basement to my house!

I'm not sure what you do for a profession, but you could be a contractor.

You should be proud….Bill

Thanks for the kind words. I am a Computer Engineer and have actually never been paid to build anything before.

Youthman is my Best Friend. Driving to his place to working on his HT was a fun weekend for me.

I wish I could do it more often. He has paid me back time and again.

• Moderators
Thanks, you don't think my speakers are too close together do you?!!!

Nah....just toe them in a bit and you will be fine. :P

He has paid me back time and again.

And I feel likewise. When we visit, we get free lodging (with a kick butt dedicated HT) and we get to wakeboard, tube and kneeboard behind his boat. We don't keep tabs on paying each other back. We just enjoy hanging out with our families and even "work" doesn't feel much like "work" when you are having fun in the process.

• Like 1

I could use some help here.

Apparently the EPX4000 requires the level converter. The quote from the product page: "XLR , 1/4'' TRS and RCA input connectors for compatibility with any source" is a bit misleading.

I currently have the line level converter Model 555-8585 from MCM custom audio.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-8485?utm_expid=8634549-20.QlUUB9VpRc2V-fYTYAiBVg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcmelectronics.com%2F

Specs list it for 20Hz-20KHz. Which was fine for the Mackie I purchased it for.

When testing last night I did noticed it dropped off quickly below 20Hz and that surprised me until I looked up the specs on the converter (which I had not planed on using)

Now I need to find a converter that will cover frequencies suitable for an IB sub and don't cost more than the amp.

I did find a mod for the CleanBox that claims flat down to 10Hz, but not much to support that claim.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/cleanbox/cleanbox.htm

Like I mentioned, without the converter I got NO input indication on the EPX4000 at all. Even after bumping the sub-out level to +10 on the AVR.

Any help appreciated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a rough weekend after spraining my ankle. I didn't even take a picture of the driver before installing it.....I can't believe I did that.

I am finding similar posting about people having to use line level boosters on the EP4000 as well as the EPX.

This one is rated to 10Hz, but is only 9v battery or phantom powered.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SAM-SDP-LIST