HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

• Moderators

Save some Coke for me during our next visit.  ;)   You know I'm praying for ya bro.  Sept 3rd can't come soon enough.  I know you are ready to get past this as you are always working on projects in your workshop or HT and not being able to do those things that you enjoy really stinks.

• Moderators

Good luck and quick recovery, from watching everything you have done with the room you look like the kind of guy that will be impatient with recovery but do as they say and don't push it, it's not worth it in the long run.  

• Moderators
you look like the kind of guy that will be impatient with recovery but do as they say and don't push it, it's not worth it in the long run.

That's right dtel.  You hear that Shaun?  Take it easy bro.....NO PROJECTS till the Doc releases you.  :D

• 3 months later...

RF7ii as a center.....

Doctor finally released me to start playing in the shop again, and my fantastic Wife hooked me up with an early Christmas present.  A Rigid Table saw!

First project is my new Center Channel.  Youth found a guy selling RF-7ii parts on Craigslist.  He wanted to build a center out of it since he has RF-7iis also, but decided it was to big.

I ended up trading my RC-7 for all the electronics out of his RF-7ii that had the wood damaged in shipping.

The plastic Horn was damaged so I ordered one from Klipsch.

The worst part of all is I got so excited after putting it together I started doing some listening test and forgot to take a picture of the front of the speaker after it was put together...Doh!

Seller Pic:

rf7center%20(1).jpg

I was seriously torn....

I was tempted to build it and veneer it with a nice wood and make it match my RF-7ii's....but it will be entombed behind my screen to never ever be seen.

Decided not to spend the time or money on a finish just for the sake of doing it and went with just good old MDF.

rf7center%20(2).jpg

Dimensions of the enclosure are exactly the same as the original RF-7ii down to the Port size and length.  Only exception is the "tower" height was reduced to 34" to fit inside the 36" window behind my screen.

This is the part where I am grateful I made the opening behind the screen just big enough for an RC-64...just in case.  Considering I had an RC-3 when I built the room apparently I had aspirations of upgrading one day.

rf7center%20(3).jpg

rf7center%20(4).jpg

rf7center%20(5).jpg

rf7center%20(6).jpg

rf7center%20(7).jpg

rf7center%20(8).jpg

rf7center%20(9).jpg

rf7center%20(10).jpg

Hardest part of the entire project:

I measured carefully and built the enclosure as large as I could and still squeeze it into the opening.

I gave myself 1/16" clearance. No sense wasting the space.

I need to back up and take a picture of the actual opening it goes in through. This is a double block wall under my living room fireplace. The opening is not directly behind the speaker window.

It took as long to get it in here as it did to assemble the box.

rf7center%20(11).jpg

Rigid fiberglass Acoustic insulation for the back of the "window".

rf7center%20(12).jpg

The tomb is now shut, and will be for the foreseeable future.

rf7center%20(13).jpg

Just to share where all the fun actually happens. This is my basement shop.

You can see the little closet behind the drill press on the left. That is the access to the back of my equipment rack.

rf7center%20(14).jpg

rf7center%20(15).jpg

• Moderators

Sweet job on the Custom RF-7ii Center Channel Shaun.  Would have been cool to see the front but after seeing what you had to do to get it into where it is located, we will just have to use our imaginations.  Small, tight space + heavy speaker = royal pain to install

WJ, you have a great excuse to visit SoFlo, 'round New Years Eve...

With Youth that way I don't need much of an excuse, but Miami is a LONG WAY from me.   I do make many of the Bowl Games, but we usually half suck so tickets are $12 and it is a 2 hour drive.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Are the dimension similar to the RC 7 or RC 64? From the pic's the box appears quite large.

Here ya go

Dimensions of the enclosure are exactly the same as the original RF-7ii down to the Port size and length.  Only exception is the "tower" height was reduced to 34" to fit inside the 36" window behind my screen.
This is the part where I am grateful I made the opening behind the screen just big enough for an RC-64...just in case.  Considering I had an RC-3 when I built the room apparently I had aspirations of upgrading one day.

You couldn't have raised the tweeter and made a large square front port?

Could have and should have are two different questions.  I only had an extra 2" clearance for box height so I couldn't put full size ports on the front.

I also was trying to match the factory design which is rear ported.  The back of the "window" is closed off behind the ports so it works very well.

Before putting the speaker in the hole I replaced the right speaker with the new center.  With the sub turned off, I demoed several familiar songs and could not distinguish the right from left in terms of sound.  As far as I can tell the new center sounds exactly like the original RF-7ii's.

• 2 months later...