HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

I can't imagine how much money you saved by DIY'ing this project.

Telling you how little I spent will probably make you sick. I have been scavenging and finding deals for this project for a couple years. I have around $2000 in the remodel. This includes the entire screen wall including screen and masking, all woodwork, rack system, fireplace, stone, cabinets, A/C duct materials, APC UPS 3000 backup, RS-35ii speakers, Harmony One remote, acoustic insulation, and Lutron Spacer lighting system. I even purchased some tools I needed from that same budget, plunge router, and 6" joiner.

*Special thanks to Craigslist, Ebay, and Habitat Restore for their support. ;-)

• Moderators

I have around $2000 in the remodel.

You know how cheap I am and some of the sweet deals that I have found over the few years of building my HT but I have to say, you definitely have me beat, both in cost and in wow factor. Amazing what you can save when you are willing to do it all yourself and be patient in the process. I would not want to know what a contractor would have charged to come in and do it.

*Special thanks to Craigslist, Ebay, and Habitat Restore for their support. ;-)

Too funny.

I would not want to know what a contractor would have charged to come in and do it.

And a contractor probably would have taken longer to finish it!

What also amazes me is how you were able to maintain such a wonderful aesthetic quality for the room. Superb!

Bruce

WakeJunkie: Congratulations! You have done a spectacular job on your home theater, sir! So many impressive elements and you brought them together in harmony and style, in what I consider, record time! Hat's off to you! -Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I can't wait to finish. SEC football starts Saturday!

I ran the new gas line and ran new electrical lines for the Lutron Spacer lighting system.
This thing is sweet! 4 zones, 4 scenes all controlled by the Harmony One. I am loving it.
I programmed it so when I hit "Pause" or "Stop" the lights all come up to about half.
When I press play they go back down. There is a master control by the stairs as you come in and another by the equipment rack.

scene 1: Movie
scene 2: Bar is lit enough to eat, but lights are down for a movie.
scene 3: lights half up (sequenced with pause and stop buttons)
scene 4: Football or Xbox party

• 4 weeks later...

I copied this from the "Lets see YOUR Home Theater" tread to get the thoughts from the group following my build.

I will have to test with the panels near the screen to see if it makes enough difference to bother with. I am concerned about how to build ascetically pleasing panels in a room with this wood/stone feel. I like the look I have built and don't want to screw that up.

Hey Wake, just a thought but a lot of companies will make panels / fabric with your high resolution photos. You could take photo's of your actual stone and have those images made to order. These would blend in nicely mounted to your stone areas....here's a couple to consider.......

http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels/acousticart-panels/

http://www.atsacoustics.com/art-acoustic-panels.html

I have considered doing exatly that with some of my landscape shots I have taken in my travels. Here are a few examples I happen to have on my laptop with me:

Iceberg_Panorama1.jpg

blackbear1_Panorama1_c.jpg

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Colorado%20Panorama.jpg

Honestly I would rather have them made from pics I have taken of my smoking hot wife.....but doubt she wants that.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Honestly I would rather have them made from pics I have taken of my smoking hot wife.....but doubt she wants that.

Well you know we love pictures here so could you post a few examples? Smile

I am leaning more towards the close up/face shots like the last two pics.

(Pics Deleted) Thanks for the input

I see you are doing the flooring last. What is planned? carpet?

I like the cork and have considered it. I am thinking about something that looks like hardwood. The entire upstairs is 3/4 naildown oak. I am leaning towards Engineered or Laminate with the hand scrape look. I will not be using carpet. The way we use that room for football parties and youth events I don't see carpet lasting a month.

With that giant bean bag I am not to worried about floor acoustics. There really isn't that much floor showing in reflection areas.

I see you are doing the flooring last. What is planned? carpet?

I like the cork and have considered it. I am thinking about something that looks like hardwood. The entire upstairs is 3/4 naildown oak. I am leaning towards Engineered or Laminate with the hand scrape look.

That would be very nice in your room.

(I like the third picture best; very engaging smile.)

(I like the third picture best; very engaging smile.)

Thanks, If I do have these printed for Acoustic canvas then I would pick 6 or 8 of the best and make panels. I know I have better ones, but would need to pull out the backup drive for those. These are more of an example of what style I was thinking. Elegant, personal photographs. I like the motorcycle pic, but not personal enough for what I was thinking of hanging in the HT. I do have allot of landscape shots to choose from as well. I personally like the pics of my girl better...but I am a bit bias. Photography is a major hobby of mine so some of my work on the wall makes sense.
I guess the question is would it be strange for it to look like the "Gallery of my wife" if you came to hang out at my place?

I guess the question is would it be strange for it to look like the "Gallery of my wife" if you came to hang out at my place?

Might be a tad akward, but that's just me. That being said, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to hang out at your place regardless of the wall coverings.[Y]